Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined game series

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

jet set radio future was a pathetic game compared to the dreamcast orginal.

streets of rage 3 was good but not great compared to streets of rage 2 and still hoping for at least a decent stab at a new game.

pes hasnt improved much since 5.

agree with micro machines, they were much better in the 2d days.

gunstar super heroes was a mistake, why did treasure practially just remake the first game? I suppose the masses werent to know but it disappointed me greatly.

cant believe no1 mentioned driv3r, it killed the series commercially as any trust built up was demolished with the third game. i thought the second game was muck too but they got away with it since it was ps1.

i feel colin mcrae hasnt the same since the first game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    gunstar super heroes was a mistake, why did treasure practially just remake the first game? I suppose the masses werent to know but it disappointed me greatly.

Totally forgot about this game. I was a massive disappointment for since I absolutely adore the original. Hard to think that it was made by completely the same team bar one member. It might have pushed the GBA to it's limits but the gameplay was a massive step back from the original. Everything seemed scaled back to suit the handheld format. The stages were really short and had none of the originality and flare of the original. Boss battles were no longer tough epic affairs but stop gaps that lasted at most 30 seconds. The whole remake thing was completely silly as well. However the worst sin was the abominable overhead shmup section. How it was so bad is beyond me considering it came from the team that basically invented the genre and gave us two of it's greatest games in the form of Radiant Silvergun and Gradius V.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Medal Of Honour, I reckon that there is an example of a series thats picking itself up and beginning to show some promise.
    Like most I loved the PS games, and Frontlines on the PS2 but since then things have drifted off with tripe like Rising Sun and Vanguard, however Medal Of Honour Airborne isn't bad at all, it's learned many lessons from COD sure but it looks and plays quite well with a more non linear approach to the battlefield, and Medal Of Honour Heroes 2 on the Wii is brilliant, more traditional in structure than Airborne but nice and solid, great sound and control.
    Lets hope that the COD team haven't missed the point as they go back to WWII with COD5, surely a battlefield thats been well trodden by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's nothing wrong with WWII games.

I just wish they'd stop with the whole "Infiltrate secret Nazi facility / Run up Omaha Beach / YEAH AMERICA!!" bullsh!t.

WWII was long & fought on multiple fronts, many of which were more interesting than "let's send loads of guys up a machine-gun infested beachfront & hope that sheer numbers will overcome the enemy before they can cut them all down".

Actually, that's completely stupid of me. But please, games developers, stop copying Saving Private Ryan.

Advertisement