Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kojima said:Not good enough!

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

Kojima said not good enough
    Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima is a bit of a perfectionist, so much so that he's willing to criticize his own product before it even ships to retail. The upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will almost certainly be one of the highlights of the PS3 portfolio in 2008 when it ships this June (along with special Limited Edition). But if you ask Kojima-san, the game ultimately only lived up to a fraction of his original vision for the project.

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction," he said in an interview with Edge magazine.

He continued, "When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress."

So what happened? Well it would appear that Kojima and his team perhaps overestimate just how much would be possible with the PS3's CPU.

"I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit, actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see," Kojima explained.

:pac:sadly i am still gonna get ps3 for that...:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd really recommend the original Edge article: great read that gives a good insight of the reality of game development, plus a very interesting look at Kojima himself. Good stuff, just need a PS3 to play the game on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd really recommend the original Edge article: great read that gives a good insight of the reality of game development, plus a very interesting look at Kojima himself. Good stuff, just need a PS3 to play the game on now.

is it possible to get a link anywhere or is it one of them subscriber deelies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

oh **** lookingfor be on soon to slaughter you for posting that.

run away kids run away :D

Next gen just isnt next gen its like a minor upgrade all the while the PC is raping consoles x:infinity.

People assume next gen is superior graphics whilst gamers just want next gen games which Sony and MSFT have yet to deliver, the irony of the WII being the only truly next gen machine is ****ing hilarious.

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

is it possible to get a link anywhere or is it one of them subscriber deelies?

It was in this months issue of Edge and theres no sign of it on a quick perusal of next-gen.biz, so you'll probably have to get the magazine to read it: always worth the buy every month IMO though for some proper intelligent gaming commentary (even if they did give Gunstar Heroes a 6, which a certain poster on here regularly points out :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Bull****, this is just the same Roy Keane attitude....oh we can always do better....I hate people like that.

The game should be top class, I don't care if you thought it would be 10 steps better you Jap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Next gen just isnt next gen its like a minor upgrade all the while the PC is raping consoles x:infinity.

Aye, but don't expect the balance to tip anytime soon. still a lot more money to be made for consoles. look at how Rockstar are waiting til Autumn at least to release GTAIV (assuming the rumours are correct). no reason for this tbh, what with the convergence in PC and console technology we're seeing other than pressure from the console makers. and then Microsoft can charge console players for playing online, can't really do that that to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Aye, but don't expect the balance to tip anytime soon. still a lot more money to be made for consoles. look at how Rockstar are waiting til Autumn at least to release GTAIV (assuming the rumours are correct). no reason for this tbh, what with the convergence in PC and console technology we're seeing other than pressure from the console makers. and then Microsoft can charge console players for playing online, can't really do that that to the PC.
    OT:
    hmm,i love the EDGE magazine,the only magazine i buy once in awhile.they are funny and good to read!BUT,i never really trust their review tho.they said FFXII like the savior of the game industry...something like that once in awhile...recently mario kart 6/10?!

interesting entertaining reading but never the very wise words :D like my last minute assignment essay,brilliant(my demonstrator said) but can only go 70-80%...

back topic now...
    the map thingy in mgs4 was suppose to be 'revolutionary' eh?

well,i can assume that kojima is buying some presents for his new master Mr.N:D cause' i think he just said : ps3 s**ks!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

As long as he doesn't put Raiden in the main character role he can think whatever the hell he wants. If he does do that I will have to fly out to Japan and put a bullet in his head. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Kojima said the same about MGS1 and MGS2, he's a perfectionist. There's no such thing as a game that didn't have some of the original ideas cut, the only difference here is that Kojima talks about it.

It'll still be an amazing game by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Bull****, this is just the same Roy Keane attitude....oh we can always do better....I hate people like that.

yes, how awful that he must always try and better himself, what a total prick.......
    The game should be top class, I don't care if you thought it would be 10 steps better you Jap.

You have no idea who Hideo Kojima is, do you.

also: "you Jap"? classy man, real classy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement