Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Students (dun dun dun...)

Options
  • 19-04-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Ok, first of all - Mr. Xiney is a student at the IT. So I know right off the bat that this doesn't apply to all of them.

But seriously, (some of) the students in Sligo are a menace.

Perhaps the curriculum is not challenging enough? Perhaps they aren't paying enough of their own money to take it seriously? Maybe it's just down to the culture all told?

But something's gotta give. I'm rapidly turning into the oldest, crankiest 22 year old on the face of the planet. I know it's in the Champion every week but nothing is ever done - the college won't accept responsibility for their charges and there's no way of knowing which of the students is causing the problems.

So is there a solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Of course the college doesn't take responsibility for them, why would they? People are responsible for their own actions not the educational institution they attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What are the problems you refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Whats goin down is Slig OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

muffler wrote: »
    What are the problems you refer to?

The fact that Ash Lane is paved in glass is my main concern, coupled with other random vandalism - they've broken half a dozen young trees in the Mulberry Park residential estate. (Ballinode)

Drunken students in general making a nuisance of themselves on the pavements and the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    The fact that Ash Lane is paved in glass is my main concern, coupled with other random vandalism - they've broken half a dozen young trees in the Mulberry Park residential estate. (Ballinode)

Drunken students in general making a nuisance of themselves on the pavements and the roads.

Drunken students is, as drunken students does. For years sligo has been moaning about the behaviour of the student population. Look at any of the local papers around rag week and you will see a plethora of articles of this member of the council sounding off about the possibility of this, and reporters writing about students goind down hills in wheelie bins there. Its always been the same and the nature of students is to act like pillocks when drunk, but they are generally harmeless - to an extent.

I certainly don't condone their behaviour, but with a town/city that has has such a rapid increase in its student population over the last few years, what do you expect when their pissed and in the masses?

You can differenciate between Students and piss heads on a saturday night by the fact that Students (they are a jovial lot) get sloshed and get up to general scullduggery or minor petty vandalsim. (I wouldn't be surprised if it was some other group of youths that vandalised the trees, and not the students). Pissheads knock seven shades out of other people in the middle of the town.

I don't believe the students are to blame here specifically, as compared to the non student general crowd, they are a more fun loving and general mick acting group. Its society's attitude to drink that is causing the problem (Hang on, need to dig out my soap box.....nnnnngh..........aah there it is)

I was recently asked in a poll if earlier drinking hours in pubs and clubs in sligo wold cure the anti social behaviour that goes on. I don't think so. The attitude to drink nowadays is to shovel as much into you as you can before the bar closes. Having worked in a night club in a previous life, its amazing to see the amount of people that order three drinks each when the bar closes, and the can never finish them. Its greed. Moving closing hours to an hour or two earlier will just bring forward the time that the anti social behaviour happens.

I realise that I have digressed from the original point here, but I think its relevant to the broader issue.

I do think that there is a solution. 24 hour drinking. Sure the country would go bonkers for a few weeks, but the novelty will soon wear off, and because there is no 'Kicking Out' time, there will be no reason for the masses to congregate on the streets and cause anti social behaviour.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there........:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ah, good to hear old traditions are still being upheld!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

There's always been that sort of stuff going on, but the students number about 4,500 all in. That's an additional 20% on the town's population. They're a valuable resource to the town, but the amount is hard to absorb in a small town. That said, thousands of well monied, heavy drinking kids, for want of a better word, is something you would expect to be policed heavily, and it's just not. Changing laws with regards to pubs and clubs would neither help or be right. The hours of drinking would adjust accordingly. Anyway, the best policed place they will be on their travels will be the club. It's on the streets where the vandalism, fights and general mess happens.
    There is a real sense of a change in attitudes amongst the student population as well. There is little or no respect for elders, bar staff, Gardai or bouncers. There's an element of "you can't touch me" and "lay a finger on me and you'll be getting a solicitor's letter". Makes them too arrogant imo. There was a time when obstinance, aggression or cheek would have resulted in a swift kick in the pants.
    Without trying to be in any way snobbish about who attends college, there is also the fact that the government has created a place for everybody who wants one at this stage. That may be a good thing but it means all sorts of people, who previously did not attend third level end up as students. I'm not referring to economically disadvantaged people, but when college places were earned rather than dished out, people tended to work a little more at their course. Many of the students are there for the craic and the course is seen as an annoying distraction from their social life. If they fail miserably, there's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Apart from Accommodation and Alcohol, I don't think students make much difference to the economy of the town.

I do agree though that they don't seem to appreciate the chance they are being given. When I was that age only the well-off could afford to go to college. It was never mentioned in my childhood, the possibility of me going on to third level education iirc. I went back to college at 35 part-time and really, it was a different world to me, so many opportunities these kids have, so much choice and support. The fact that you can study something that interests you, and can make a successful life doing it is fantastic.

It beats cleaning toilets in a grotty hotel in London, which is what I was doing at that age.

I do think that if they had to work harder to get to that position, there might be a bit less acting the maggot. In my own experience, I didn't want to stay a chambermaid, and years later I was running a (lovely)hotel. I didn't want to stay a part-time sales assistant and I ended up running my own shop. Nothing whatsoever was handed to me, I worked hard to change it. How can you appreciate anything in life if you haven't worked hard to achieve it?

I know I can't say all students are like this, I'm sure they're not, but it can be a bit irritating having them bellow in your face p*ssed, while your going about your business. It often strikes me that its Mummy and Daddys fault for giving the brats too much, and not teaching them to respect what they can achieve.

Disclaimer: I really know a lot of students are not like this, and it is a section of them that give the whole lot a bad name. Like most other groups in society...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

But something's gotta give. I'm rapidly turning into the oldest, crankiest 22 year old on the face of the planet. I know it's in the Champion every week but nothing is ever done - the college won't accept responsibility for their charges and there's no way of knowing which of the students is causing the problems.

So is there a solution?
    Your 22!!!???:eek:

The trees (and glass) seem to get broken at the start of semesters and during rag week. I'm certain it's the students - there aren't any other youths in the area of Mulberry Park/Ashbury lawn.

Thing is, when I'm cycling home from work at 11 pm, if I encounter a group of students that includes some of the male persuasion, they have a tendency of yelling stupid things at me as I go past on the shared cycle lane. I don't want to take the road there because the cars are going too fast - and I'm not going fast enough. And frankly, there's a cycling lane - I should be entitled to use it.

It's only a matter of time before someone throws a bottle at me.

It's only a matter of time before someone tries to be funny and plays "chicken" and I run them over with my bike.

I had someone think they were especially funny, yelling out the side of a car door while passing, "FLAT TIRE". So of course, knowing it's a distinct possibility what with all the glass everywhere, I stopped, took a look, and nothing... but then I had to get going again, uphill :mad:. Like I said, I'm cranky. And old. And I'd just worked 10 hours and I haven't had a day off since last Wednesday and had that idiot been within slapping distance I doubt I would have been able to control myself.
    Gillie wrote: »
    Your 22!!!???:eek:

Yeah, but like I said. Old and cranky. Get off my lawn, you kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The trees (and glass)
    Thing is, when I'm cycling home from work at 11 pm, if I encounter a group of students that includes some of the male persuasion, they have a tendency of yelling stupid things at me as I go past on the shared cycle lane. I don't want to take the road there because the cars are going too fast - and I'm not going fast enough. And frankly, there's a cycling lane - I should be entitled to use it.

It's only a matter of time before someone throws a bottle at me.

It's only a matter of time before someone tries to be funny and plays "chicken" and I run them over with my bike.

I can get you a tweed blanket and a stick if you want? you can sit in the corner shaking it giving out that you're old and should be listend to :D:D:D:D:D:D

The above is news to me. My experience of students (albeit a few years ago) was that they were a jovial lot; pissheads but harmless. Its starting to look like they are following the growing trend of the youth in the town (or at least the ones who give them a bad name) No respect, and couldn't care less.

Yeah, but like I said. Old and cranky. Get off my lawn, you kids.

Sounds like my kinda woman!:D

il gatto wrote: »
    Without trying to be in any way snobbish about who attends college, there is also the fact that the government has created a place for everybody who wants one at this stage. That may be a good thing but it means all sorts of people, who previously did not attend third level end up as students. I'm not referring to economically disadvantaged people, but when college places were earned rather than dished out, people tended to work a little more at their course. Many of the students are there for the craic and the course is seen as an annoying distraction from their social life. If they fail miserably, there's always next year.

I agree with this - it's why I've begun to think the courses aren't challenging enough.

If they were more challenging, the students would have to work harder, drink less and focus on college. Where I went to University, only first years went drinking every week (almost nobody went every day!) and then you either flunked out (ie, got kicked out for marks that were too low) or settled down to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

XINEY
    Yer lucky you were not here in the early 90's, if you think today is wild its a old folks home compared to then, even thought the student community is way larger now.
    Between the clarence, the southern and equenox the pubs were full of students pretty much every week night (drink was cheap) with house parties following, i know there are a lot more parties now (due to drink being dear)
    but i was in town other night and place was empty on what would usually be considered a student night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

elshambo wrote: »
    XINEY
    Yer lucky you were not here in the early 90's, if you think today is wild its a old folks home compared to then, even thought the student community is way larger now.
    Between the clarence, the southern and equenox the pubs were full of students pretty much every week night (drink was cheap) with house parties following, i know there are a lot more parties now (due to drink being dear)
    but i was in town other night and place was empty on what would usually be considered a student night

It was more fun then too. It's the behavior that's bad more than just sheer numbers. Used to be very few fights or aggression. More laid back.
    Sueme, I realise they don't spend a huge amount outside of rent and drink, but imagine the amount of fresh money coming into Sligo and then being spent via the people who rent them accomodation as well as all the staff in pubs, shops and clubs who make their living off them. It must be worth tens of millions every year.

Sueme, I realise they don't spend a huge amount outside of rent and drink, but imagine the amount of fresh money coming into Sligo and then being spent via the people who rent them accomodation as well as all the staff in pubs, shops and clubs who make their living off them. It must be worth tens of millions every year.

Good point.

It was more fun then too. It's the behavior that's bad more than just sheer numbers. Used to be very few fights or aggression. More laid back.

Since they are not around the town, most of the trouble in the student housing estates?

Feed of drink is supposed to make you sleepy, Vodka red bull
    Fat frogs and the far superiour and slightly less bad of you "Chilli Pepper"(yum yum) dont get you drunk its sugar/booze poisioning, ive had the tingly arm think on the red bull (scary out)
    ban this cr*p like the french did
    Tv feeding false lives to the kiddies also fuels their discontent!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw (contains some swearing)

...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think i'm gonna take a trip to Sligo soon, sounds like a right aul craic, if I see you OP i'll be sure to scream at you, might even pull me kacks down too

Although it would be more likely that you see me, when you're twitching your curtains looking out, you old fogey

Think i'm gonna take a trip to Sligo soon, sounds like a right aul craic, if I see you OP i'll be sure to scream at you, might even pull me kacks down too

Although it would be more likely that you see me, when you're twitching your curtains looking out, you old fogey

Oh a "hilarious" student. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Oh a "hilarious" student. :rolleyes:
    I'll see you too, ya f*cking dry sh*te

...what?

booze mixed with energy drinks makes you hyper instead of tired

Hyper drunk more likely to be involved in things at night than tired one

Modern life stress nonsence xfactor/big brother/holyoaks cr*p lot of kids buy into can lead to them being unhappy (not directly, its a build up type thing)

Unhappy hyper drunk can cause trouble when meets Unhappy hyper drunk
    whereas Unhappy tired drunk meets Unhappy tired drunk is less likely to cause trouble

French banned RedBull

Kiddies section of the local library is supposed to be very good

Aye but unless I was cycling with a magnefying glass I doubt I'd notice anything out of the ordinary.

Aye but unless I was cycling with a magnefying glass I doubt I'd notice anything out of the ordinary.
    Well what are you f*cking crying about here so

Human Bonsai!

I'll see you too, ya f*cking dry sh*te
    Well what are you f*cking crying about here so

Give Daddy back his laptop son!

Gob$hite!

Sounds like there's a lot of people on here who are bitter about having to work all week as us students are on the tear

Hardly!

People are simply discussing whether students add to anti-social problems in Sligo.

Gillie wrote: »
    Hardly!

People are simply discussing whether students add to anti-social problems in Sligo.

Its such a shame what happened to the Lady Erin statue, I haven't been near there lately, did they manage to clean the graffiti off?

• Advertisement

Was that students though?

Advertisement