Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Students (dun dun dun...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ah I don't know for sure - but comes under the anti-social behaviour banner!

Blame students anyway...:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

il gatto wrote: »
    Sueme, I realise they don't spend a huge amount outside of rent and drink, but imagine the amount of fresh money coming into Sligo and then being spent via the people who rent them accomodation as well as all the staff in pubs, shops and clubs who make their living off them. It must be worth tens of millions every year.

Apparently it's €40 million a year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055154734

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yeah, but, but...

Alright so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Have to agree with all of what Il Gatto said earlier in the thread. Many of the students in Sligo are here because its so easy to get a place in college nowadays. Add that to the parents bank-rolling them and you've got a small minority of students who are here just for the piss-ups and the craic. In my last job I came into contact with students from the IT on a daily basis, and while many of them were decent kids there to study (whilst going out and doing all the things we associate with student life as well), there were plenty of what I can only describe as thick-as-pig-****e morons that would, 9 times out of 10, end up leaving their course by Christmas and end up staying around as long as Mammy and Daddy provided the reddies for them to do so. A lot of these children have no respect for property or other people and only serve to help alienate the rest of the student body from the local population. Also, there are many students that are obviously so unintelligent that when somebody complains about a section of them and their behaviour around the town, their only response is one of petty insults and no real arguments.* These people really don't help the student's cause either.

I have absolutely no problem with people going out and getting off their chops on whatever the hell it is that people like to get off their chops on. God knows, I do it myself on a regular basis. What I do have a problem with, however, is people getting off said chops and abusing other people and property. I don't care how washing-machined I've been, I can never remember a time when I thought it'd be great craic to start smashing glasses and bottles in the street or picking a fight with the first person I saw.

It must also be said though, that this type of behaviour is not exclusive to students.

*see a certain poster above for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

el_weirdo wrote: »

It must also be said though, that this type of behaviour is not exclusive to students.

Nail... Head.... Hit...On..... Its not just the students that should take the blame for this (I'm not insinuating that anyone on this post has suggested this) but the youth of Sligo, and the country in general has a lot to answer for. How many times has anyone here been through town for whatever and has been jeered at for no aparrant reason? The all too familiar sound of 'Hey you!' or 'What are you saying hey!' springs to mind:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Unfortunately, the students are surely to blame for the situation in Ballinode.

It was so quiet and clean when I first moved in. Idyllic, really. A week later the students moved in: glass EVERYWHERE, (it's actually not bad now compared to what it was in September) trees broken and in the middle of the street (someone even went into a yard and broke off a palm tree, I've never gardened in Ireland but aren't those things expensive?)

I got to thinking, I couldn't even have a dog around here even if my landlord would let me, because I wouldn't be able to walk him on the pavements. Glass + dog feet = disaster + expensive vet bills. I got to thinking as well, that it's a good thing Mr Xiney and I don't have children - because they wouldn't be able to play in the little green areas around, as glass has been swept into them.

It IS (a small number of) the students that are causing these problems here. Incidents coincide beautifully with the times of less strenuous study. Elsewhere, there are others creating problems no doubt. But the only people under 25 around here are students, pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I hate students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Maybe, someone should take into account the costs of cleaning up the streets, replacing and repairing vandalised public property and policing on "student nights". Not to mention the misery that non-student tenants in many of the private housing estates around the college go through for 9 months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Maybe, someone should take into account the costs of cleaning up the streets, replacing and repairing vandalised public property and policing on "student nights". Not to mention the misery that non-student tenants in many of the private housing estates around the college go through for 9 months of the year.

Sligo doesn't spend squat cleaning up anything. Hence being Ireland's filthiest town.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I miss being a student *sighs and waits for acceptance into a postgrad*. I've skimmed through the thread but can anyone actually say for sure that the problems Xiney is talking about is all or even mostly caused by students? I don't go out in Sligo so I don't know what its like at night, but we never did that much drinking outside when I was at uni, that was usually underage kids and sometimes foreigners (personal experience only people!) And also, have you reported any of this to the guards Xiney?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm sure it's the students. If you lived here, you'd understand. Quiet as a mouse while exams are on, or if the students are back home, but most other times (especially when coming back after a long absence, see: Christmas) it's crazy.

I haven't reported any of the vandalism to the guards because frankly, they're aware of the vandalism but without positive identification of the individual who perpetrated it, they can't do a thing.

Should the harassment become a problem I will phone 999 - there was an issue with a drunk student who grabbed my breast as he was walking past me and I had the guards stop him and strongly caution him, although I would have been within my rights to have him charged with assault.

I agree that the cost of cleaning up after [a small fraction of] the student population should be factored into the equation of what they bring to the city - as well as their impact on the enjoyment of Sligo by those who live near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I miss being a student *sighs and waits for acceptance into a postgrad*. I've skimmed through the thread but can anyone actually say for sure that the problems Xiney is talking about is all or even mostly caused by students? I don't go out in Sligo so I don't know what its like at night, but we never did that much drinking outside when I was at uni, that was usually underage kids and sometimes foreigners (personal experience only people!) And also, have you reported any of this to the guards Xiney?

Cripes, I was so glad to finish college & earn some money, you could see the smoke trail behind me... student life is - unless yr parents are subsidising you big time - a harsh one. Struggling to get money for course books & materials, pay the rent & bills, and everything else like clothing, toiletries etc. I studied in Dublin, but because I was from Dublin, I only got the basic £15 a week. It barley covered the light bill.

For the first 2 years I worked 4 nights a week plus weekends, then as I couldn't afford to do that (or I'd have failed), I spent the last year living on ill gotten gains (as the tax office - and maybe C.A.B. are apt to reading forums & investigating people through the web, I won't go into details!). I finished college with a €5k debt that took 3 years to pay off... and though I did have more than a few drunken nights (well usually drugged up nights coz drugs are cheaper), I never went around wrecking the place or disturbing anyone (except my own head!).

Students get a hard time of it... even though I hate them! :D

Xiney wrote: »
    there was an issue with a drunk student who grabbed my breast as he was walking past me and I had the guards stop him and strongly caution him, although I would have been within my rights to have him charged with assault.

Is it possible that they confused you with on of the regular student rabbel and thought you'd be up for a laugh? Not that this would excuse anything, but didn't you say that you were only 22? It's possible if they were pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I haven't reported any of the vandalism to the guards because frankly, they're aware of the vandalism but without positive identification of the individual who perpetrated it, they can't do a thing.
    Well you should report it to the Gardai. Maybe they aren't aware of it and even if they are then the more people who complain about it the more interest the Gardai will take by having their members on patrol in that rea a lot more then they presently have.

Xiney, Im not being flippant but posting about it here is achieving nothing but if you notify the Gardai and your local council officials and councillors you may see an improvement. Even if you dont you can always say you tried.

Get a few others to do the same or if you have a residents association bring the matter to their attention and ask them to contact the relevant authorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

muffler wrote: »
    Well you should report it to the Gardai. Maybe they aren't aware of it and even if they are then the more people who complain about it the more interest the Gardai will take by having their members on patrol in that rea a lot more then they presently have.

Xiney, Im not being flippant but posting about it here is achieving nothing but if you notify the Gardai and your local council officials and councillors you may see an improvement. Even if you dont you can always say you tried.

Get a few others to do the same or if you have a residents association bring the matter to their attention and ask them to contact the relevant authorities.

:eek: You see he keeps doing it! I have to agree Xiney with Muffler that its a good way to go, and the use of numbers with the Residents association too may lend weight to it. It may be that the gardai could add a few more patrols up that direction, preferably on foot or bike! The other thing is that there may already be CCTV cameras up there that may have some evidence. By complaining you may create a case to introduce some up there. (worse case scenario to vandalise! ). I do have issues about big brother watching you but if it were to act as an deterrant....

But the other thing is what is the Students Union doing up there, isn't here a case too that the students representative bodies should in some ways policing/informing/guiding their own? I know there's some serious alcohol issues going on in many of our populations (not just students) , thats one issue, but creating model citizens they are not. Lets be fair someone (whoever they were) grapping your breast in that situation was sexual assault. Doesn't bad reputations go back on the college eventually, sadly in the case for the majority who are good students.:(

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Is it possible that they confused you with on of the regular student rabbel and thought you'd be up for a laugh? Not that this would excuse anything, but didn't you say that you were only 22? It's possible if they were pissed.

I was a student up to last year - and I assure you I wouldn't have thought it a laugh even when I was 17 and in my first year. Actually, especially not when I was 17 - I probably would have beat the living daylights out of him at that point. Thankfully I'm more mature now :) (Also, I haven't worked on a farm in 4 years and it would have been a much tougher fight to win)

Some might call me uptight for that. I say I'm empowered and believe I have a right to call my own body my own.
    muffler wrote: »

I think this is an excellent suggestion - so posting here wasn't totally without achievement. I'd have just continued inwardly seething without the opportunity to vent - and now I've got a constructive outlet. So, yay! Complaining goes professional :p
    tuppence wrote: »
    :eek: You see he keeps doing it! I have to agree Xiney with Muffler that its a good way to go, and the use of numbers with the Residents association too may lend weight to it. It may be that the gardai could add a few more patrols up that direction, preferably on foot or bike! The other thing is that there may already be CCTV cameras up there that may have some evidence. By complaining you may create a case to introduce some up there. (worse case scenario to vandalise! ). I do have issues about big brother watching you but if it were to act as an deterrant....

But the other thing is what is the Students Union doing up there, isn't here a case too that the students representative bodies should in some ways policing/informing/guiding their own? I know there's some serious alcohol issues going on in many of our populations (not just students) , thats one issue, but creating model citizens they are not. Lets be fair someone (whoever they were) grapping your breast in that situation was sexual assault. Doesn't bad reputations go back on the college eventually, sadly in the case for the majority who are good students.:(

When the incident occured, Mr. Xiney and I contacted the college and we had a meeting with someone there. They sent out an email to the student body reminding them to be respectful (which was clearly ignored). I brought up the role the student union had to play in student-resident relations and it was kind of glossed over and ignored. I also brought up the fact that all the student union activities seemed to involve getting blitzed out of their freakin' minds (I'm more eloquent in person, I promise) and that too was sort of treated with a "well what can you do" kind of way.

I will definitely contact the residents' association and the Gardai tomorrow though - it's on my to do list.

I was a student up to last year - and I assure you I wouldn't have thought it a laugh even when I was 17 and in my first year. Actually, especially not when I was 17 - I probably would have beat the living daylights out of him at that point. Thankfully I'm more mature now :) (Also, I haven't worked on a farm in 4 years and it would have been a much tougher fight to win)

Some might call me uptight for that. I say I'm empowered and believe I have a right to call my own body my own.

I don't think you are being uptight about it at all. Its your body, and you have the final say - end of. (Pity you didn't whop his ass :D) I haven't been a student for about 5 years, and I remember what they were like back then, so if things get gradually worse as time goes on, woe betide all of us at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm going to be a student next year in Sligo IT,the way ye talk about them hear I'm going be feel guilty but I assure you I wont be one of the typical noisy and annoying students.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm going to be a student next year in Sligo IT,the way ye talk about them hear I'm going be feel guilty but I assure you I wont be one of the typical noisy and annoying students.

Don't worry bobcar, your secret's safe with us :D

The vast majority of students are not a problem anywhere. Its always the small few that end up giving every one else a bad name:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Yeah,well I don't want to be one of those small few.

I'm sure I was one of those when I was in Galway,but that only happened for a year before i dropped out so roll on September so I can cause havoc to this town:p

• Advertisement

I think this is an excellent suggestion - so posting here wasn't totally without achievement. I'd have just continued inwardly seething without the opportunity to vent - and now I've got a constructive outlet. So, yay! Complaining goes professional :p

When the incident occured, Mr. Xiney and I contacted the college and we had a meeting with someone there. They sent out an email to the student body reminding them to be respectful (which was clearly ignored). I brought up the role the student union had to play in student-resident relations and it was kind of glossed over and ignored. I also brought up the fact that all the student union activities seemed to involve getting blitzed out of their freakin' minds (I'm more eloquent in person, I promise) and that too was sort of treated with a "well what can you do" kind of way.

I will definitely contact the residents' association and the Gardai tomorrow though - it's on my to do list.

I have to say i have less tolerance for this wanton mindlessness coming from any quarter. Alot of vandalism, littering or dumping may be deemed as low level but can have deleterious effects. I reckon wtf its about respecting other people who live in that space, some of whom might'nt be as able or confident as Xiney to advocate for themselves. So fair play Xiney, go for it! (Thats my jerry Springer moment over.:eek: ;))

Anyway, the Gardai probably have a liasons officer or something that could and should pay a visit and reinforce these kind of points home. Its a two way thing as well, they should be up there to be more approachable for students to use them as a public service, so students can feel safe too.:)

Anyway, the Gardai probably have a liasons officer or something that could and should pay a visit and reinforce these kind of points home. Its a two way thing as well, they should be up there to be more approachable for students to use them as a public service, so students can feel safe too.:)

Approachable or not, it won't make one iota of difference. People (students included) generally hold the Gardaí in distain and have no respect for them. The only option they are left with is to be authoritave and just uphold the law by whatever means necessary. I have a family member who is Garda and they have said its the same sort of shít in the town that they are stationed.

Approachable or not, it won't make one iota of difference. People (students included) generally hold the Gardaí in distain and have no respect for them. The only option they are left with is to be authoritave and just uphold the law by whatever means necessary. I have a family member who is Garda and they have said its the same sort of shít in the town that they are stationed.

I would have thought thats why the Gardai need to make more of an effort to be building the lines of communication. At the very least they shoudl be doing a bit of both. Lets face it they have in many cases rightfully got bad press in the past for being a rule to themselves, lacking in what would be deemed as professional behaviour for a public body. You don't right the wrongs of the past by slipping back into authoritarian 'default' mode (again). Back to plan A lads lets round up all the students! ;) There is however a huge culture change that needs to be made on both sides.

There is however a huge culture change that needs to be made on both sides.

Good point, but it begs the question; How can this change be made? At a guess I would imagine some politician would give us a speech of empty promises such forth, and not come good on any of them.

Good point, but it begs the question; How can this change be made? At a guess I would imagine some politician would give us a speech of empty promises such forth, and not come good on any of them.
    Michael Mcdowells' (clears throat and spits) garda reserves for one may turn out to have been a good idea....? Doh! :o

Michael Mcdowells' (clears throat and spits) garda reserves for one may turn out to have been a good idea....? Doh! :o

Garda reserves? Not if the actual Siochána have anythying to do with it;)

Garda reserves? Not if the actual Siochána have anythying to do with it;)
    They are coming over to the idea I heard. They may already be approaching the students as possible recruits.;)

I actually half considered becoming a Garda for a time, but Mr. Xiney is completely against it as he feels I'd get stabbed or something.

I think I'd enjoy it, though. (not the stabbing... the being a Garda)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

:eek: You see he keeps doing it! I have to agree Xiney with Muffler that its a good way to go
    I must be pushing all the right buttons ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

These exact issues were plastered all over the local rags in the last year. It crops up yearly, along with another "exposé" around rag week. the Gardai would be at least as well informed as the general reader of the Champion and Weekender. So seeing as they know about it and do very little, where does the blame for the lack of policing lie?
    Our local superintendant seems to have very little to say on any issue. I get the feeling he's not that in touch with the situation on the ground. If he's not cracking the whip with Gardai on the beat, I suppose they don't feel under any pressure to do much.
    Apart from the occasional patrol car passing swiftly by and a small presence (considering the amount of "revellers") around Gratten street at 3ish, there seems to be almost no Gardai on the beat. It seems to have increased slightly in the last 12, but only a little.
    If I don't tear up trees, break windows and harass people, it's because I wouldn't do those things. It's not because of any fear of the law. It seems nobody expects to be caught or punished for anything any more (except motoring offences.(Woe betide he who.....).

Advertisement