Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Students (dun dun dun...)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

il gatto wrote: »
    These exact issues were plastered all over the local rags in the last year. It crops up yearly, along with another "exposé" around rag week. the Gardai would be at least as well informed as the general reader of the Champion and Weekender. So seeing as they know about it and do very little, where does the blame for the lack of policing lie?
    Our local superintendant seems to have very little to say on any issue. I get the feeling he's not that in touch with the situation on the ground. If he's not cracking the whip with Gardai on the beat, I suppose they don't feel under any pressure to do much.
    Apart from the occasional patrol car passing swiftly by and a small presence (considering the amount of "revellers") around Gratten street at 3ish, there seems to be almost no Gardai on the beat. It seems to have increased slightly in the last 12, but only a little.
    If I don't tear up trees, break windows and harass people, it's because I wouldn't do those things. It's not because of any fear of the law. It seems nobody expects to be caught or punished for anything any more (except motoring offences.(Woe betide he who.....).

I agree. The Gardaí seem more bothered in trying to catch people for motoring offences at night, and this would most likely be the boy racers crusing around. I don't go out much of a saturday night, but I have noticed the paddywagon outside the chippers as a regular thing at about two in the morning.... They seem more interested in focusing their efforts on one particular area than, say splitting up and going round the town AND up the mall to maybe.

If they are thinking of recruiting students for the Garda reserves, would this not be moot, considering that some of the problems that the student body cause? I can't see one of them taking another one of them serious on a night out, Garda reservs or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    I agree. The Gardaí seem more bothered in trying to catch people for motoring offences at night, and this would most likely be the boy racers crusing around. I don't go out much of a saturday night, but I have noticed the paddywagon outside the chippers as a regular thing at about two in the morning.... They seem more interested in focusing their efforts on one particular area than, say splitting up and going round the town AND up the mall to maybe.

If they are thinking of recruiting students for the Garda reserves, would this not be moot, considering that some of the problems that the student body cause? I can't see one of them taking another one of them serious on a night out, Garda reservs or not.

I am sure they have an operational plan. Would be interesting to see whats in it, and how accessible it is. Should be in theory cos they are there to serve. maybe Ilgatto might ask them for it! :D I thought the student reserve was a good idea, and now think its better that could be fed into the plan. I wont charge for my consulatation :p but its called peer mentoring. Shown to work changing behaviour in many different groups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

p1.jpg

F-ing students. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

p1.jpg

F-ing students. :D

Dissertation? Bag of shíte...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I thought dysentery was a bag of ****e? Maybe not... back to college for me so. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Hi all,
    I'm just having a browse on the Sligo boards as it appears I will be going to Sligo next year to further my education, I've just done a year in Galway and I just wanted to say that this year Galway and Sligo's RAG weeks were on at the same time. On the Tuesday night I went to visit my mate in Sligo and sample the night life. To me it was decidedly different to Galway and far more anti-social behaviour than just a drunken laugh. I don't know if anyone else agrees with this, it was only my experience.
    I would have thought with Sligo having the smaller student population there would have been a friendlier atmosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Louise~ wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm just having a browse on the Sligo boards as it appears I will be going to Sligo next year to further my education, I've just done a year in Galway and I just wanted to say that this year Galway and Sligo's RAG weeks were on at the same time. On the Tuesday night I went to visit my mate in Sligo and sample the night life. To me it was decidedly different to Galway and far more anti-social behaviour than just a drunken laugh. I don't know if anyone else agrees with this, it was only my experience.
    I would have thought with Sligo having the smaller student population there would have been a friendlier atmosphere...

Every year they have their RAG week on the same week I think.

And yes,you can guarantee that you will see at least one fight outside 4 Lights at 3am and more than likely another one or two in the clubs.
    I studied for a year in Galway and there never seemed to be anything along the lines that we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

tuppence wrote: »
    I am sure they have an operational plan. Would be interesting to see whats in it, and how accessible it is. Should be in theory cos they are there to serve. maybe Ilgatto might ask them for it! :D I thought the student reserve was a good idea, and now think its better that could be fed into the plan. I wont charge for my consulatation :p but its called peer mentoring. Shown to work changing behaviour in many different groups!

Does Il gatto know something we dont?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Does Il gatto know something we dont?
    On most things, thats the curse of being a brain box. ;)
    Nope the "guards" have a fondness for pulling him over if I rightly recall(?), He might ask them for their "operational plan" next time and if the students figure in it! Mind It might'nt go down so well so best not....:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Galway has gotten rough at the weekends in the last few years, but it's still pretty quiet. There always seems to be loads of people and Guards around so I suppose that helps. Student nights are still fairly friendly affairs down there.
    I don't know if having students as reserve Gardai is a good idea. Several scenarios may arise. One might be selective use of powers. As in, you break a tree and you'll be arrested. My mate breaks a tree and I don't even see it. Another is putting what are essentially kids in a position of some (not too much) power and knowledge. Things travel like wildfire in the IT. I don't think having students knowing who's been arrested and why, or who's been the victim of a crime is a very good idea.
    It would also set up possibly well meaning students for a torrid time from of the more aggressive, abusive types.
    That, and my disgust at the government trying to police on the cheap and dressing it up as involving the public.
    There is certainly an element of aggression and violence that has crept into the student population in the last 5-6 years. It seems to me that the student union aspire to greater things than the nitty-gritty of day to day student affairs (like running for election down the line, eh, eh?). It seems the college management wash their hands of things unless it's unavoidable. And it seems our Gardai will never be reinforced or rostered properly to deal with what are long standing issues at this stage.
    Brainbox tuppence? Why thank you:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
Advertisement