Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dark matter, gravity and the fabric of space

Options
  • 19-04-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ok this has been doing my noodle for awhile so here it goes

I read an article that the fabric of space-time is made up of matter and therefore in essence is the dark matter that everyone is looking for, and therefore explaining away 80% of our universe.

My question is this if space time is made of matter, do they not conform to the laws of gravity and therefore over time larger matter objects like the sun and our earth would/ should grow in mass causing a greater pull on the surrounding space time fabric and causing gravity to increase, is the gravity of all known large objects or any object made of matter increasing (I think we would have noticed that by now), if not does this proposed answer to dark matter not conform to the rules of gravity) is the mass to low?

But even if it was too low the continuous collection of mass would create a greater indentation of the surrounding space-time fabric, therefore increasing the strenght of gravity,

If space time has mass, would gravity increase continuously?

im proably missing something real simple so please help me out!

one last thing i was also reading about nuclear force and wondering about the lack of nuclear force or lack of empty space between protons or neutrons, would this lack not neutralize gravity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

(~) wrote:
    My question is this if space time is made of matter, do they not conform to the laws of gravity and therefore over time larger matter objects like the sun and our earth would/ should grow in mass
    I'll kick-off the answers by first saying that dark matter is NOT everywhere in space (Thus, the Sun and other stars don't always accumulate matter because matter simply isn't there to accumulate). It is concentrated in certain pockets throughout galaxies and is thought to be involved in galaxy-formation. We can indirectly detect it's presence by it's affects on neighbouring stars.

(~) wrote:
    one last thing i was also reading about nuclear force and wondering about the lack of nuclear force or lack of empty space between protons or neutrons, would this lack not neutralize gravity?
    Where did you hear about the lack of the nuclear force(s) between protons and neutrons? The nuclear force comprises two of the four known fundamental forces in the Universe. They are both much stronger than gravity (the weakest force) but the electromagnetic force falls in between the two:

Strong Nuclear Force -> Electromagnetic Force -> Weak nuclear Force -> Gravity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Sorry but it ws my understand the majoirty of our universe is made of dark energy? or is my info out of date?

1.Dark Energy
    2.Dark Matter
    3.Matter

with matter being less than 1/3rd of the known universe?

Yeh, Dark Energy. However, no-one has ever detected Dark Energy and it's existence is just a consequence of the mathematical equations that we have built-up to describe the Universe since Einstein's theories of Relativity. It may, in fact, turn out to be nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Guest

Pockets of dark matter, yes that could be possible, but the thing that keeps bothering me about that answer is the galaxy and all in it is very dynamic and to be blunt things clump together! If there was so much dark matter hanging around would it not be absorbed over time by all the other stars and material that’s in our galaxy. Also if there is so much dark matter about even in our very own galaxy would it not be easy to see every time it passed in front of a star and magnified it, after all if so much existed this kind of event must be common place. Also pockets of dark matter/dark energy, if dark matter/dark energy makes up most of the universe, its not pockets we would be dealing with, if anything its the galaxy that is the pocket inside the dark matter/ dark energy would it not?

I think I remember reading something saying just that around the time when the idea of dark matter was being just suggested. But then again it brings up the old thought how come gravity does not work its magic charm and end up making new stars, galaxies etc out of all this matter lying around

Also if so much dark matter is out there how come the magnification of galaxies don’t fluctuate a lot more, infact by right should we be able to see as many galaxies as we do, should not the universe be a lot murkier place to look out on?

No no, hang on a second: Dark Matter is completely different from Dark Energy. Dark Energy is the thing that we cannot measure - It's existence is just a consequence of our mathematical equations. Dark Matter, however, can be measured and we do observe it, albeit indirectly. It isn't 'everywhere' though. It is just found in clumps between solar systems and between the spiral arms of spiral galaxies. We need very high resolution t'scopes to detect its presence though.

In my view, Dark Energy doesn't exist.

Kevin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement