Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing the gun on holidays

Options
  • 19-04-2008 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

i am leaving the country for a year and just wondered if i can bring my shotgun as id like to keep up shooting the clays abroad
    i know that this is a bit of a long shot but, since people get to bring their guns to competitions and hunting holidays i was wondering if i could bring mine with me also.
    I know that my situation differs greatly than for a competition or an actual holiday where i intent to hunt game but its worth a try.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It'll depend on the country. Where are you going?

If you're going traveling to many countries I suspect it'll be a right pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

Australia just for the year im kinda leaving it a bit late to find out as im leaving in two months
    have to land in Singapore for 3 days so that could cause a problem
    what if i got it shipped over after me?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

My gut feeling would be that shipping it would be easier. My experience with Singaporean customs and immigration would make me wary of turning up with a firearm. They're nice, but rather stern and fond of security procedure. They might have some sort of bonded storage option at the airport though, it might be worth looking into.

Here's a list of contacts for the various state firearms licensing bodies. You might be able to get away with using a visitors permit. I'd call ahead and ask them, that would be the quickest way to find out.

gentleman ill let you know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I lived in Australia for five years. Bought a few rifles while I was there , shipped one back to Ireland ( took 6 months!!)

If you are only going for a year you are better leaving it in Ireland and buying one over there, you can sell it easily before you return to Ireland.

Importing/shipping it to and from Ireland is a PITA. The australians have strict storage requirements which may have implications if you are in rented accomadation, Getting a license is pretty straight forward for a shootgun.
    http://www.ssaa.org.au/newssaa/becoming%20a%20shooter/becomingashooter.htm
    BTW quackquack, duck shooting was banned in Queensland. To get a duck hunting permit in other states you have to do a fairly tough test on species recognition.

There are interesting hunting opertunities if you get into rifle shooting.http://www.hunt-cons.asn.au/html/the_pests.html

• Advertisement

and were you just on a visa Traumadog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you are only going for a year you are better leaving it in Ireland and buying one over there, you can sell it easily before you return to Ireland.
    Can you leave the gun in Ireland in your gunsafe and pay the licence whilst away on a 1 year trip? Would it be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yes I was on a visa that had to be renewed yearly, I dont think there is any limitation on non-permanant residents applying for a license.

TraumaDOC

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can you leave the gun in Ireland in your gunsafe and pay the licence whilst away on a 1 year trip? Would it be legal?

If you're going to leave it here, your local gun dealer would store it for you (for a fee of course!). If you don't fancy leaving it unattended in your own safe, maybe a friend could store it for you and look after your licence renewal in July - if he has access to your post!

i was thinking of getting the father to apply for licenses for my guns and he could keep them with his in the safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A word with your own FAO would probably make this go a lot more smoothly, especially if he's a sympathetic and accommodating chap. I'm sure he'll have the best solution for you, whether it be leaving them with your father or whatever. Personally, I'd be inclined to have the licence for them for the intervening year, so it comes to a renewal rather than a reapplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

But remember - he's going in two months time - before the licences are renewed, so he won't be here to sign for it - then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

LB6 wrote: »
    But remember - he's going in two months time - before the licences are renewed, so he won't be here to sign for it - then what?

That's why I suggested he talk to his FAO, could possibly arrange for the renewal to take place as a matter of course.

ill give him a ring tommorow and ask him
    hes dead sound dosent like too much hassel so hes easy goin
    ill post and let you know how it went thanks for the info lads

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

LB6 wrote: »

Simple ...Give your Dad written power of attorney to sign for the liscenses in your name.Clear this first with the FAO,explaining why you are doing this.Should be no bother,as I did this when I headed to the US,many moons ago and it was no trouble.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thanks Grizzly did as you said and the fao was happy enough as long as he could come and inspect the safe to make sure she was up to standards
    Thanks for the help lads:)

Advertisement