Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear noob questions re gear ratio

Options
  • 19-04-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

I've been riding fixed for a while now and am starting to think about moving up to a different gear ratio.

I'm currently on the stock 42/16 ratio but just wondering is it a simple job of buying a bigger chainring and a longer chain? If someone could run through the process it would be great because I'm pretty clueless at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i would change the cog rather than the chainring - cheaper and less compatibility issues.

if you go from 16t to 15t with a 42t chainring you'll get go from 70gear-inches to 75ish, which is a manageable jump, that'll still get you up those hills.

you'll need a lockring spanner to remove the lockring (these are REVERSE THREADED i.e. CLOCKWISE TO OPEN) and a chainwhip to remove the cog (which is normally conventioanally threaded).

you'll need to check whether your drive train is 3/32" pitch or 1/8" pitch before buying a replacment cog - it should be written on the cog you have at the moment. you may not need a new chain, depending on how much room you have in the drop outs, as your only removing one tooth from the system. but new chains are nice.

i haven't looked but i'm sure sheldon brown has plenty to say on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You can also use a hammer and a screwdriver if you're careful, to get the lockring off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

This is a perfect kinda job to do in the shop, if you don't know how yourself, It's fairly simple, just you need the tools.. Taking a screwdriver and hammer to your gears isn't the best idea, but would work if you're stuck!

I bought a new sprocket in JD's in Dundrum and they let me use their tools! You need a C spanner to make sure everything's tight, don't want your sprocket coming loose mid cycle!

This is the most crucial part of a fixie, imo and needs to be the safest, although I'm guessing you have atleast an emergency brake if you're a noob, still can't be too safe!

As said already, dropping a tooth on the rear would be safe enough, doubt you'll need a chain, but ya never know! Good luck with it anyway, anymore questions, just ask! After building mine from the ground up, I know how awkward some parts can be! As I'm sure everyone else knows too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

id stick a hollowtech 2 crankset in it:D:D save yourself a kilo or so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

If you don't have a chainwhip, you can remove the sprocket with the rotafix method, just invert the rotation directions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement