Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Radiohead Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

With you on that one Cornbb. Has anyone even heard the second CD of In Rainbows?????:confused:
    Cats,
    Fred.
    Yes I got it with the discbox set. It's quite good it's a collection of songs and a couple of remixes. Allthe songs are quite good but wouldn't have fit in with In Rainbows feel.

Only got into Radiohead last year but I really got into them. The Bends was my favourite for a while followed by OK Computer because i thought there are more weak tracks on OKC.

When In Rainbows came out I thought it was too digital on first listening probably fooled by the first track 15 step which has Jonny Greenwod at the drum machine. But with each listen it has grown on me and I now rate it very highly.

When I got the vinyl I was blown away by the quality. Every litttle nuance, etc.... That inspired me to buy more of my favourite albums on vinyl since.

I am loving Kid A at the moment. Haven't spent much time with HTTT or Amnesiac and I don't rate Pablo Honey at all.

can't wait to see them for my first time on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

OKC
    Amnesiac
    Kid A
    HTTT
    Bends
    In Rainbows
    Pablo Honey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

^^ No remixes in the discbox. /kisses mine. Amnesiac is the most rewarding, I can't even imagine how sexy it would be on vinyl. You need good headphones though.

Remixes:I was talking about Mk1 and Mk2 which have samples of songs from In Rainbows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

niallk wrote: »
    Yes I got it with the discbox set. It's quite good it's a collection of songs and a couple of remixes. Allthe songs are quite good but wouldn't have fit in with In Rainbows feel.

Only got into Radiohead last year but I really got into them. The Bends was my favourite for a while followed by OK Computer because i thought there are more weak tracks on OKC.

When In Rainbows came out I thought it was too digital on first listening probably fooled by the first track 15 step which has Jonny Greenwod at the drum machine. But with each listen it has grown on me and I now rate it very highly.

When I got the vinyl I was blown away by the quality. Every litttle nuance, etc.... That inspired me to buy more of my favourite albums on vinyl since.

I am loving Kid A at the moment. Haven't spent much time with HTTT or Amnesiac and I don't rate Pablo Honey at all.

can't wait to see them for my first time on Saturday.

Hear what your sayin' there mate, but do listen to them all. I remember one great quote from some critique saying "it's the usual purgatory for for RH fans listening over and over again until you get that beautiful fresh spring morning in the middle of November." Cant wait until the concert myself, hoping to here "How to disappear completely" written in Ireland, well most of it.
    Mustard,
    Fred

• Advertisement

Hear what your sayin' there mate, but do listen to them all. I remember one great quote from some critique saying "it's the usual purgatory for for RH fans listening over and over again until you get that beautiful fresh spring morning in the middle of November." Cant wait until the concert myself, hoping to here "How to disappear completely" written in Ireland, well most of it.
    Mustard,
    Fred
    Written in Ireland? Really? So he actually is saying "Float down the Liffey...".
    Have to read up on that...
    Have you seen this rendition?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9t2FFh6LA&feature=related
    OndesMartenot X4
    Beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the Bends is the best album , their later stuff is atrocious , really really bad, people think it's great cause it's so different well different does not equate to good, the emperor has no clothes on folks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MooseJam wrote: »
    the Bends is the best album , their later stuff is atrocious , really really bad, people think it's great cause it's so different well different does not equate to good, the emperor has no clothes on folks

Nah, you're wrong. From OK Computer to Amnesiac they were probably the best pop/rock band on the planet. Great, original sounding songs that made brilliant albums. The Bends is good but it's just another indie rock album.

Kid A
    Amnesiac
    OK Computer
    Hail to the Thief
    The Bends
    In Rainbows
    Pablo Honey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I used to think Kid A but that was until In Rainbows was released. It's just amazing and surpasses their previous work.

Heh, hate to be like a greenplastic poster but:

Amnesiac> OK Computer = Hail to the Thief = In Rainbows > Kid A > The Bends > Pablo Honey
    MooseJam wrote:

That's an opinion but a particularly terrible one. Do you just not like innovation or something?

• Advertisement

I'm all for innovation when it produces good music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

MooseJam wrote: »

Their guitar-driven stuff is so unbelievably good.
    Having not actively listened to their albums for a while now i was pleasantly reminded just how good the guitar-based stuff is after hearing "Just" on the radio recently.
    Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Kid A is my favourite. It's an incredible album and needs to be listened to in it's complete form.

The National Anthem is Radiohead's greatest song - it beats anything on any of the other albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Kid A is my favourite. It's an incredible album and needs to be listened to in it's complete form.

The National Anthem is Radiohead's greatest song - it beats anything on any of the other albums.

Totally argree, but did n't realise it untill i heard it Live. some song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Jay P wrote: »
    I find Kid A to be quite amazing
    I do too, it just...flows so well, or something. If I had to be stuck on a desert island forever with just one Radiohead album though, I'd choose The Bends.

Totally argree, but did n't realise it untill i heard it Live. some song.

National Anthem live ****s on the studio version imo. Funny radio intro beats free jazz outro... I only remember seeing them both together on one vid though. See if I can dig it up.

Pyramid Song is better though >.<

Man that's what's so great about seeing them live is the big difference between their studio versions. They don't just go up and play exact replicas like a lot of bands would. *excited*

That's the one where they actually got a brass section in.

I'm not a big fan of the NA live, I really miss the brass..

SumGuy wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the NA live, I really miss the brass..

That has brass!

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    That has brass!

Sorry, I meant the times I've seen them live, and on I Might Be Wrong

I don't like the high tempo of I Might be Wrong live. Like Spinning Plates is pretty awesome live.

Kold wrote: »
    Like Spinning Plates is pretty awesome live.
    Yeah, it's gorgeous. Can't even name a preference between the studio and live versions of it, they're so aesthetically different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Im always divided between The Bends and Ok Computer...I think I'll go with Ok Computer because the songs are transcendent, e.g. all of them, and it was and still is very innovative. The Bends is the perfect album, every song is brilliant but Ok Computer imo has something more, like a new musical approach/atmosphere and the scope of it is widescreen.

+1

The brass and woodwind is one of my favourite moments in any song ever. The mechanical two note beginning slowly descending (or ascending?) to chaos is genius.
    Every body...
    bomp bamp bamp, bannamp bamp
    bomp bamp bamp, banamp bamp
    bonnono bamp bamp bonnono bamp bamp bamp
    bonono bomp bamp, bono bamp bomp bomp bomp ba (repeat)

Are you still talking about The National Anthem?
    No woodwind there...

:p
    There's more woodwind than brass my friend.
    The saxophone, of which this song has three is a wood wind instrument closely related to the clarinet. The wooden reed in the mouthpiece is what produces the sound. It annoys me when people call the saxophone brass.
    :cool:

Reading the personnel notes from the album, there are credited two tenor horns, two alto horns, one baritone horn, trombone, bass trombone and trumpet. No sax anywhere on the album.
    And I know exactly what a saxophone is, my friend.

:rolleyes:
    The sax is a horn but not a brass instrument.
    All people who know what they're talking about talk but not all people who talk know what they're talking about.
    alto sax Steve Hamilton, Martin hathaway
    tenor sax:Andy Hamilton, Mark Lockheart
    baritone sax: Stan Harrison
    That's five saxes to two trombones and one trumpet.
    :p
    Every body...
    bomp bamp bamp, bannamp bamp
    bomp bamp bamp, banamp bamp
    bonnono bamp bamp bonnono bamp bamp bamp
    bonono bomp bamp, bono bamp bomp bomp bomp ba (repeat)
    progress.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pfft, Idioteque is clearly their best song. And it rocks live!

Advertisement