Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Msc in Computing

Options
  • 19-04-2008 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I'm thinking about trying to take up a research MSc in Computer Sicence and want to do something related to Linux and Open Source. I of course have to do something that a private company will also be interested in.

To be honest I've got very few idea's ....

Anyone have something in the back of their mind thats worthy of a two year research project ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think usually the subjects of research come from the supervising lecturers who then look for interested students. Look on the websites of research depts in colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I know DERI or looking for people at the moment. Try the Situations Vacant sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

monosharp wrote: »
    Well lads,

I'm thinking about trying to take up a research MSc in Computer Sicence and want to do something related to Linux and Open Source. I of course have to do something that a private company will also be interested in.

To be honest I've got very few idea's ....

You are not alone. I supervise post-grad computer science projects and almost always, I have to come up with the ideas.

However, a few pointers. When I did my own MSc, I based it on my day-job. Do you work during the day, or are you coming straight from a BSc?

If you work, no matter what the job, there are always better ways of doing things, regardless of what the job is. Start off there. Be creative.

Also look at past projects for ideas. Some projects might have scope for further development, or give you ideas for something completely new.

If you are really stuck, PM me for ideas, I have a few.
    pwd wrote: »
    I think usually the subjects of research come from the supervising lecturers who then look for interested students. Look on the websites of research depts in colleges

This is true, but in my own personal experience, a student who comes up with their own topic usually has a greater interest in the project and therefore tends to do better than a student who is handed a topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If you are really stuck, PM me for ideas, I have a few.

Where were you when I was doing my Msc!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where were you when I was doing my Msc!

I've been here all along. :D

All you had to do was ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm doing an MSc at the moment. Picking a topic was extremely difficult. In the end I made a fairly random choice and picked speeding up Elliptic Curve Cryptography using Concurrency.

monosharp - if you're totally stuck, consider the subject I chose. It's tricky enough (most of the books and papers on the subject are fairly dire) but it's a really interesting subject and I think both ECC and Concurrency are going to be big topics in the future.

Advertisement