Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox HD DVD and 5 HD Films offer

• 19-04-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Gamestop Henry Street, Dublin Only, Xbox 360 HD DVD addon €45. If u buy 5 HD Films with it get an extra €20 off.There is an offer already on the HD DVD's of buy 3 get the cheapest free,the films are also reduced and are from €10 to €20 (transformers). bought miami vice,transformers and jarhead for €30.So you could get 6 dvd's and drive for around €80.There is a selection of about 30 films,also check out the used ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the heads up OP.:)

Can this drive be used with windows media centre ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

311 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up OP.:)

Can this drive be used with windows media centre ?

as far as i know it can

kearnsr wrote: »
    as far as i know it can

Thanks Kearnsr ,I don't have a 360 but I'd use it with my htpc.

I've been meaning to buy an external drive ,so I can rip music from a handier spot. This deal isn't really that much more expensive than a decent external drive :D
    Looks like it will work in vista aswell
    http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_vista/20070219_how_to_play_hddvds_with_windows_vista.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

You will have to install toshiba drivers on your pc for it to pick up drive and power dvd (with HDDVD capability) or other software to play HDDVD's. Also you will need to have a good spec. pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

anyone know If this offer is in all gamestops or just the Dublin ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Will check Sligo store now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

ill try and check the dundalk one, but may not be until tomorrow as working today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Must get one of those to go with my Sony Betamax VCR

Girlfriend is on the way to the Limerick, Parkway store now so I'll post when she lets me know if they have the offer.

• Advertisement

Been told by charlestown ,only henry street have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I was in Gamestop Athlone last week and they had the HDDVD drive for €170. Maybe they have only started to reduce them in Gamestop.

Just been told by the Gfriend that Gamestop in Limerick's parkway SC have no HD dvds at all. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Asked the manager of the Sligo Gamestop and he said Gamestops sent what was left of their HD-DVD drive addon stock up to Henry Street, and they were the only ones doing the offer.

Unfortunate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Was in Gamestop Henry last week, all the addons I saw were pre-owned. I got one from Argos instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

basquille wrote: »
    Asked the manager of the Sligo Gamestop and he said Gamestops sent what was left of their HD-DVD drive addon stock up to Henry Street, and they were the only ones doing the offer.

Unfortunate!

Thanks for that Basquille you saved me the journey

all marked as pre owned but are new, maybe something to do with guarantee? also most preowned HDdvds are new

The price of the addon is down to €19.99 today (no need to buy HD-DVDs).

Some are new and some are used, ask the girl to find you a new one.

I picked up another one as back up.:D

Canonfan wrote: »
    The price of the addon is down to €19.99 today (no need to buy HD-DVDs).

Some are new and some are used, ask the girl to find you a new one.

I picked up another one as back up.:D
    Where was this?

yes where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, I tried in Gamestop, Henry St, Dublin. The girl said it was €50 for a new one.

I got the second hand one to discover there's no connection for hooking up the xbox360 to it?? No manual either.

How much was it second hand?

€19.99 - contents were to include the USB cable.

Is just a standard USB you need cos you can get one of them cheap in a computer shop. I'm sure Gamestop will take it back.

I thought I might have a spare one lying around....cant find it. Got all types but the standard one. :)

Gamestop, Henry St, Dublin.

My one was brand new, all sealed. USB cable and manual included also battery for the remote. Check the box before you leave the shop.

D'uh. Got one, now I can't get the player to work. :(

Popped in DVD (tried 2) waited for it to load. Nada.

Doesn't seem to spin up when DVD is inserted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At 19.99, it is tempting even for redunant technology - basically the price of a cheap new DVD! For those who have it, is it worth it even as an upscaler? Does it upscale any better than the console itself? And does it still containt King Kong / remote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

How much stock do they have because I think I wont be in Dublin until Friday. Also anyone know what time they close at.

Henry St. store closed at 7:00 on Friday.

Remote yes, King Kong no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anyone know if this would work plugged into a media streamer USB host or does windows have to be on the system?

Basically I have a USB input on my media streamer (outputs 1080p) which I can plug in a memory stick or external drive, then scan the port for content through the media drive interface.

This is doing my nut in. It seems I got a faulty player. I downloaded an update from XBOX for the player, and burnt it to CD. Popped the CD into the XBOX and it asked me to connect the player. Did - nothing happened, it's still asking me to connect the player.

I just want to confirm that it's the wide flat USB cable on both ends (same width etc) that I should be using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

No there is a small connection on one end and a regular usb connection on the other end

Like this:

11AP318DT8L._SL500_AA200_.jpg

The small end goes in the back of the dvd player and you can plug the usb into the back of the xbox. If you're connected to xbox live it should automatically update the firmware for you. The regular sized usb slots on the back are just extras since the dvd player will occupy one of the console usb slots. Its like a little usb hub

• Advertisement

Much obliged

I'll just pop in tomorrow and mention it (no USB cable) instead of bringing back the entire package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

my drive seems to have died, so this is nice timing!

I got the USB cable this morning - taken from another pack. The girl I was speaking to told me that some of the packages don't have the remote. Be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Was in there today @4pm. They have a few of these still left. brand new ones inc remote and cables etc €50 and a few 2nd hand ones with no remotes or cables €20. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

At 19.99, it is tempting even for redunant technology - basically the price of a cheap new DVD! For those who have it, is it worth it even as an upscaler? Does it upscale any better than the console itself? And does it still containt King Kong / remote?

the drive itself doesn't do any upscaling, it just reads the disc and lets the xbox or pc decode and scale the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

steve927 wrote: »
    Was in there today @4pm. They have a few of these still left. brand new ones inc remote and cables etc €50 and a few 2nd hand ones with no remotes or cables €20. Hope this helps!

I bought a second hand one today for 20 and it included all cables and the cd. She said i could have the remote aswell for free if i needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

eolhc wrote: »
    the drive itself doesn't do any upscaling, it just reads the disc and lets the xbox or pc decode and scale the video

don't think that's the case. regular dvds played through the drive are noticeably improved over playback from the xbox directly, as far as i can see

Connected one to my Vista PC, the picture quality is 6 times better than normal DVD, not.

Bought one today for €20 with connections, only have 2 left, one without usb connection.Say used but seemed new as installation disc had not been opened.Heard the xbox 360 (old composite lead one) does upscale to 720 but u need the vga connection for 1080 upscale, dont know if this applies to new xbox 360 with hdmi leads

I was talking to a worker in GS and they said they have about 40 preowned HDDVD addons.

I was in there today & got the last pre-owned one (girl actually commented on "all these nerds came in yesterday some of them buying two incase one broke") :D

Anyway, I got the last one & two movies for it, but I don't have a 360 & my PC needs a new video card in order to play it so I'm selling it on adverts for what I paid for it - €40 with movies. In case anyone wanted one & couldn't get into town before the weekend.

The fella told me that there was loads. I even asked could he hold me one but he said there was no need cos they had so many.

Was in there at 14.39 (according to receipt) today & there were about 10-12 new ones @ €50 & the pre-owned one I got. The drives are upstairs (staffed by a girl), there's two blokes downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Are any used (€20) left with remote contol? I dont mind usb cable.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Are any used (€20) left with remote contol? I dont mind usb cable.
    Only €50 ones but keep an eye on them ,i'd say they will reduce them too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement