Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will I benefit importing a diesel in August.

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused as to the laws of importing diesel cars ,after july.

This piece which I've copied from a simi .pdf file ,seems to suggest that if the car is older than 2008 ,it wont benefit from the new regime.

"I am thinking of buying an imported used
    car after July, how will the new Road Tax
    system affect me?
    A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before
    the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates
    except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will
    be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000). Used vehicles
    first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be
    based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other
    member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will
    be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)"

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

from the horses mouth
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm
    Minister Gormley stated that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars.

New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size (c.c.).
    How low is low?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

kbannon wrote: »
    How low is low?

From what I've discovered, any car registered Jan 08 to July 08 that if registered after July 08 would have benefited from the lower tax due to its emmisions, will on renewal of its tax be charged at the lower rate, and in turn if it would have increased after July it will remain the same.

Hope that makes more sense?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I meant it in terms of the press release not being as clear as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I'd have to agree, with the numerous amount of queries regarding the new tax and VRT one would assume they'd have realised their explanations are some what undefined, for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

T J Hooker wrote: »
    From what I've discovered, any car registered Jan 08 to July 08 that if registered after July 08 would have benefited from the lower tax due to its emmisions, will on renewal of its tax be charged at the lower rate, and in turn if it would have increased after July it will remain the same.
    As I understand it:

From July 2008, an imported car which was first registered (in original country) from Jan 2008 on: VRT and Road Tax based on C02.

From July 2008, an imported car which was first registered (in original country) before January 2008: VRT based on CO2, Road Tax based on engine size ('old' system).

Between now and July, if you import a 2008 car, you will pay VRT and initial road tax based on engine size. If the car would qualify for a lower road tax based on CO2, you can change to that lower rate - so only tax it for 3 months originally.

Tbh, there are stickied threads with all this info.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There are stickied threads ,but I've read posts on threads about lads buying in england and getting the cheaper tax

I.E 2.2 Diesel accord.

It's some current posts here ,that have me a little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

311 wrote: »
    This piece which I've copied from a simi .pdf file ,seems to suggest that if the car is older than 2008 ,it wont benefit from the new regime.
    This refers to Road tax, and seems clear.

What exactly are you confused about?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

311 wrote: »
    There are stickied threads ,but I've read posts on threads about lads buying in england and getting the cheaper tax

I.E 2.2 Diesel accord.

It's some current posts here ,that have me a little confused.

I think they're mistaken.
    The Accord diesel as emissions of 143g/km, putting it in band c. So instead of paying 30% vrt, they're only paying 20%, which is a big saving.
    However, its engine is 2204cc, meaning the road tax is €827...which is criminal!:eek:

I was getting the impression ,that buying an secondhand diesel accord regardless of age. Would be beneficial ,because it benefits from the new Co2 formula.

But I'm clear about it now ,I was confused when I originally posted. Thats why I started the thread.

esel wrote: »
    This refers to Road tax, and seems clear.

What exactly are you confused about?

Of course thats clear ,it's in plain english.

It's the posts that I've been reading from some posters here ,that got me thinking otherwise.
    Sometimes it's best to post a question ,to clarify things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement