Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to store vegetable seeds?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Was just wondering which is the best way to store vegetable seeds?

I was reading here;
    http://www.nanaimohort.org/seed%20saving.html

that a good way is to place the seeds inside a glass jar with a tight fitting lid then put the jar in the refrigerator.

Also to place a little packet of silica gel inside the jar.

I presume they mean to place the jar in the standard fridge section and not in the ice-making compartment or freezer.

Is this the best way to store seeds? Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah storing seeds in the fridge (not the freezer) gives them the dormant effect of 'winter'. Hence they sleep until you're ready to plant out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Does anyone use brown paper bags in an unheated shed? Thats the way I know but I can't remember how I know it! It works anyway.

I have a beer fridge - they don't tend to be as cold as your kitchen refrigerator - and keep mine in mini ziploc bags in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

I've been informed that possibly just placing each type of seed in a paper envelope and then placing the envelopes in a cardboard box, along with some silica gel packets to absorb any moisture might be the way to go.

Placing the cardboard box in the coldest/darkest part of the house. Perhaps at the back of a wardrobe in a spare room.

As possibly the seeds might not like the light going on and off in the fridge...

I realise this may not be an option for you Minesajackdaniels since you are in Australia and don't get the cold Irish weather!

That, and there's no light in my beer fridge so it's actaully a perfect spot for them. :)

I came across a box of old seeds that the previous house owner had left in the shed here. That shed's interior gets to in excess of 40 degrees celsius in the summer here so I doubt there'll be much life left in them. Never know though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement