Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Predictions 2008

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

There was a thread like this for History last year so we may as well have another one. What do you think are the most likely essay topics to come up this year?

I think,
    Movements for Democratic and Social Change 1870-1914:
    Somequestion to do with Parnell
    Something to do with Suffragettes/First Home Rule Party/Volunteers
    Something to do with the Land Question/Davitt
    Cultural Nationalism

The Pursuit of Sovereignty & the Impact of Partition, 1912–1949:
    Factors that led to the victory of Sinn Fein in the 1918 Election
    Something to do with the War of Independence/Treaty
    Economic Policies of CnaG and FF between 1922 and 1939
    Eucharistic Congress

Dictatorship and Democracy 1920-1945:
    Something to do with Mussolini
    Civilan Population during the War on the 'Home Front'
    Church-State Relations

What do others think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Yea, thats what we're reckoning as well.
    Add in Stalins Show Trials, and you basically have what my class have been told to concentrate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dont try to predict the history paper.The new curriculum is only a few years old,so we dont have the papers to be able to give an accurate prediction of whats coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah, like what happened last year, it was a b**** of a paper...so hopefully this year will be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'd add the Show Trials to that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

The Pursuit of Sovereignty & the Impact of Partition, 1912–1949:
    Factors that led to the victory of Sinn Fein in the 1918 Election
    Something to do with the War of Independence/Treaty

Dictatorship and Democracy 1920-1945:
    Something to do with Mussolini/Hitler
    Church-State Relations

Please God! I've been doing 1918 election, WoI and Anglo-Irish treaties and CnG government since 5th year.

Not so strong on European, been doing Stalin Show Trials, and Hitler. (only domestic policies learned so far x_x)

We're also doing Northern Ireland 1949-1993, I hope something easy comes up :(

[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

In the Pursuit of Sovereignty topic, Northern Ireland will feature in one form or another. The format of that question seems to be:

Question 1: The Independence Struggle - 1914-1923

My tip: Rise of Sinn Fein/War of Independence or Causes of the Civil War

Question 2: Free State Ireland from 1923-1949.

That could be either:
    Economic Policies
    Anglo-Irish Relations
    Law and Order (or a mixture of two or more)

My tip: Economic Polices

Question 3: Cultural Question i.e. Eucharistic Congress/Irish language 1920-1949

My tip: Eucharistic Congress

Question 4: World War II North and South

Not sure about this one because the North has to feature in the exam but the Belfast Blitz was asked in 2007.

For Dictatorship and Democracy it's much harder to predict and I can't see an obvious format.But Britain won't appear as it has come up 2 years in a row. I think if you learn Mussolini, Hitler and Stalin, you're sorted for that question.

Tips: Mussolini, either on his own or in comparison with Hitler, Stalin's Show Trials, the Home Front during WW II and perhaps Anglo-American culture. But stick with the 3 big dictators and you'll be fine.

For Ireland 1870 to 1914, it's difficult to predict.

Tips: Some question on Parnell, the Lockout, the GAA, a land question 1870-1914 (learn off the land acts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hopefully the 'Moonlandings' come up, sorry guys.

I am in 5th year and it's so boring compared to the Montgomery bus boycott and the Vietnam war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 purpleeblue

any1 hav any ideas on 1870-1920ish europe??
    im prayin 4 bismark!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

Prediction is a dangerous game. boring as it sounds, you do need to cover the basic minimum of the syllabus. If you take the gamble and it doesn't pay off then you're sc.......ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

God, I'd love if cultural nationalism, Mussolini, Vietnam and the Treaty came up. I'd actually piss my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

gaybitch wrote: »
    God, I'd love if cultural nationalism, Mussolini, Vietnam and the Treaty came up. I'd actually piss my pants.
    Interesting.
    Don't know if you can bring Pampers in with you though!
    Good luck in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

what are you meant to write for cultural nationalism
    -GAA
    -Literary revival
    -??????
    ???????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

The Gaelic League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

^ Exactly.

That'd be a shexy essay. I still don't understand why more people tend to cover the Politics and Admin. topics moreso...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

yeswecan you are a ****ing dope, if you dont know what cultural nationalism is your ****ed!;)

scholes19 wrote: »
    yeswecan you are a ****ing dope, if you dont know what cultural nationalism is your ****ed!;)

Wow, what a wonderful first post...

thought so myself,thats why i did it!:cool:
    no seriously if he dont know what cultural nationalism is, he is slightly bucked!!!;)

I'm hoping that you did detect the sarcasm in that post. A bit of niceness wouldnt do any harm, and really cultural nationalism isnt that important

yes fortunately i possess the gene which enables me to detect sacrasm!;)
    thanks 4 your concern fuascailt!
    whats your name mean in english!??

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Not knowing one topic doesn't mean you're screwed, I mean my class haven't done the Jarrow March/Lenin etc, but there are four options sooo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

gaybitch wrote: »
    Not knowing one topic doesn't mean you're screwed, I mean my class haven't done the Jarrow March/Lenin etc, but there are four options sooo...

The Jarrow March came up in 2006 and 2007, so I think it's unlikely to appear this year. Not a coincidence therefore that your teacher didn't study that.

Advertisement