Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom bb for skype and streaming video?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm with IBB ripwave at the moment in Dublin 14. It's fine for plain internet stuff but would like to upgrade for use with Skype (calls and webcam) and possibly live streaming video (e.g. Setanta Sports).

I was thinking of going with Eircom bb. Which option would you recommend, home starter (1Mb) or home plus (2Mb)?

I was also worried about the cap, never had one! (never needed one with ripwave :D) So if I watch a few soccer matches on Setanta, Skype calls and so on (I don't think I'd be downloading music or movies) how likely am I to go over the limit?

Cheers! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

inigo wrote: »
    Hi! I'm with IBB ripwave at the moment in Dublin 14. It's fine for plain internet stuff but would like to upgrade for use with Skype (calls and webcam) and possibly live streaming video (e.g. Setanta Sports).

I was thinking of going with Eircom bb. Which option would you recommend, home starter (1Mb) or home plus (2Mb)?

I was also worried about the cap, never had one! (never needed one with ripwave :D) So if I watch a few soccer matches on Setanta, Skype calls and so on (I don't think I'd be downloading music or movies) how likely am I to go over the limit?

Cheers! ;)

For decent streaming id say go with the 2mb package, it'll be getting upgraded to 3mb in june if that helps.

As for the cap, iv had eircom bb for about a year and a half and have gone over the cap twice, didnt get charged for it though. If your not downloading movies then its not something you need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi inigo,

If you don't mind a small pole mounted aerial on your roof (allowing for clearance of any obstructions) IBB Breeze might be a good choice. The upload speeds are higher than DSL which gives you better voice quality on Skype. I'm on the 3Mb/3Mb connection and it works great.

Some IBB masts had their problems in the past, but I think they have been ironed out now. Three Rock is possibly the mast for Dublin 14. Worth an enquiry and an "engineer" to come out for a signal test.

Best bit...no cap. Well, a fair usage policy is in place of course! AND, you get a static IP address :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eircom don't enforce their caps, I dl'ed 62Gb last month on 30Gb cap and have 33Gb down so far this month.
    BTW from my experience Msn (or aMsn if your not fond of microsoft software like me) works better than Skype for video calls, I got a brother & 2 sisters in USA so use it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated! I'm renting, so unfortunately a mast is not an option. Looks like I'll be changing to the 2Mb Eircom option then. Cheers :)

Excuse my ignorance. I thought I didn't need a landline to use eircom broadband, but when I tried to order online I was asked for eircom acount and telephone numbers... I've sent them an email (it took me half hour to find an email address in their webcrap! :mad:). So do I or do I not need a landline? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Yes, You definitely need a phone line. They provide Dsl broadband, which i only available over the phone network. Some providers like BT or Perlico resell Eircom broadband. Other alternatives are a cable broadband like ntl or a wireless provider.

:o oops! Friend of my didn't tell me the whole truth then... I don't have a landline and am not planning to get one. Do you think IBB Ripwave plus would be enough for calls with Skype? And webcam? Any other option?

MODS: Could you please change the title of the thread to something like "Wireless broadband for skype and streaming video?"

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No Ripwave is very unreliable for Skype & video. It may or may not work depending on area, it's not too different to Mobile Phone Company 3G/HSDPA in technology and predictability of speed. The IBB Breeze product will do it very reliably.

If you have a balcony rail point the correct direction, then you might be able to get Digiweb Metro, or Digiweb FWA or IBB Breeze or some other decent performance wireless unit clamped to the railing.

Thanks, watty. In Digiweb they tell me I need to install "a very small receiver which needs to go on the roof ( 12cm x 12cm ) a coax cable is run from the receiver into the room you want the modem. The above is taken into account in the installation fee of €99". Is that all or is there also an aerial sticking out of the receiver? Can anyone tell me where I can find a picture of it? I was wondering if this receiver can go on the balcony without adding to the satellite dish already attached to the rail...

Advertisement