Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for HDip Interview

• 19-04-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have my interview for the Hdip (Business) on Friday. Dont really have a clue what to expect! Does anyone have any advice re questions or what to say? :(

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why do you want to teach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ciwi

I want to teach business studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

I suspect that Spurious is throwing that out as a question you will need a plausible answer for at your interview rather than a request for information.

Essentially I suppose the question is why teaching and not plumbing or journalism - what specific motivations and skills are you bringing to the profession? Obviously the answers would need to be more fleshy than "I think I'd like it" or "I think I'd be good at it" with emphasis on particular qualities you may have.

I imagine you can expect questions about how you might deal with unruly and/or unmotivated students.

Also beware that in many jobs (and I realise that this is for a college course which is still one step removed from the work scenario in a way) your likely ability to be flexible and fit into the work set-up is a factor. So by all means have firm ideas on how to deal with likely problems but go easy on any "change the world" tones. They will want you to be realistic and informed in relation to challenges in school and to be happy that you will mix easily in a staff-room and with students.

If you have been in the workplace previously and they ask why you want out of that arena beware of being overly negative about it. As with any interview be confident and have little reticence about citing your qualities and abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ciwi

Sorry I read that message quickly and thought it said what do you want to teach...I was in a rush :o

Thanks for your advice and tips....much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Has anyone had their interview yet??? How'd it go? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Abina

Hi
    IHave an interview in UL on Friday. Aninterview to do a Pastgrad in business teaching, just wondering has anyone done the interview already or know anyone that has. Kind of nervous as this is my last change in becoming a teacher, for the near future. Basically just whatto expect and what to prepare prior to the interview

Advertisement