Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisey Vista

• 19-04-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Hi, I installed vista on a newish core duo rig. Clean install but vista seems to be accessing the hard drive constantly. Has anyone seen any pages on how to keep it silent as I have a fanless psu and a 9db (;-P) cpu cooler. I also have a silent seek samsung hard drive but its getting annoying :mad:
    Any info would be great
    Cathal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It will be indexing the contents of the hard disk for the first couple of days after you install for fast searching. It should shut up soon enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Does it stop on your setups though Stephen?

On the few Vista laptop systems that I've dealt with, months after the initial setup there were still times when the hard drive would still be chugging away when idle, ignoring settings attempting to conserve battery life such as disabling indexing, aero, setting aggressive power management.

I'm not sure yet whether it's down to the system restore going bats or prefetching to ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Weird. I rebuilt my Vista x64 system last night and it has already finished indexing. It stops the disks when idle and stuff. I do have system restore turned off and 4gb of RAM installed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

This service must be for the really dumb ;-)
    Anyway it seem like there is other stuff causing hdd access

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/701713.html

Found this when I was looking about indexing.
    All to off please and SHUT UP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find Vista loves to do all sorts of stuff in the background. I turn off indexing, system restore. Any programs that autoupdate etc. I'm using a laptop and all the HD access kills my battery life. As soon as I think I've everything turned off some new process starts up, and away the disk goes again.

• Advertisement

Knocked off all these in the post above and its a breath of fresh air. Laptop is nearly silent, fan comes on much less as for desktop, it silent nights from now on. Vista should have a silent utton which disables all these for competent users :D

Its called XP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Stephen wrote: »
    Weird. I rebuilt my Vista x64 system last night and it has already finished indexing. It stops the disks when idle and stuff. I do have system restore turned off and 4gb of RAM installed though.

Yea same here, Vista 64, 4gig RAM and was done indexing about a day or so after build.

I would have thought that, by its nature indexing is never finished unless the data never changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

True but the majority would be done soon after the build is complete.

• Advertisement

That hasn't been my experience of Vista, but then I do a lot of moving of lots of data. Also why does it need to index all this stuff. I know that some people can't find anything on their own computer. But personally I never need to search for files in the way indexing thinks you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

BostonB wrote: »
    That hasn't been my experience of Vista, but then I do a lot of moving of lots of data. Also why does it need to index all this stuff. I know that some people can't find anything on their own computer. But personally I never need to search for files in the way indexing thinks you need to.
    Then you can just turn it off. I think it is a great feature which I use regularly especially as part of the start menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BostonB wrote: »
    I find Vista loves to do all sorts of stuff in the background. I turn off indexing, system restore. Any programs that autoupdate etc. I'm using a laptop and all the HD access kills my battery life. As soon as I think I've everything turned off some new process starts up, and away the disk goes again.

maybe thats the answer to my low battery life. Huh.

As for noisey hard drives I have finally found the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question:

DCP_4234.jpg

Mount your Hard Drives with Rubber Bands.

**** help **** im in pain here:

I went and turned off the Superfetch feature to try and stop some of my Disk activity right: Well now its done the oppossite! I cant get it to stop at all! Its freezing up my machine at random intervals :eek: resource monitor just blames svchost. Helpful that.

I've never tried turning Superfetch off. I can't imagine it would like that. I assume you've tried turning it back on?

I did eventually - just before I nearly threw the entire machine against the far wall. It was really, really pissing me off to no end. Just getting from where I was to the Regedit again took 5+ minutes because of the lockups! Restoring the setting and a reboot seems to be working. If you want to disable the feature yourself I'd advise you err on the side of caution.

OP for detailed information about quieting your new rig head over to the Computers > Tweaking & Modding forum. Theres a couple good stickies there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    maybe thats the answer to my low battery life. Huh.

As for noisey hard drives I have finally found the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question:

Mount your Hard Drives with Rubber Bands.
    Oh dear.
    Heat + rubber bands + time = perished rubber :(

SIlicone pads maybe ?

Oh dear.
    Heat + rubber bands + time = perished rubber :(

SIlicone pads maybe ?

check the tweaking forum sticky they address the crumbling rubber issue.

THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY ;)

INDEXING

Open up Services in Control Panel or by typing services.msc into the Start menu search or run boxes.

Double-click on Windows Search in the list to open up the properties, and then change the drop-down to "Disabled".

SUPERFETCH

Open up Services in Control Panel or by typing services.msc into the Start menu search or run boxes.

Double-click on Superfetch in the list to open up the properties, and then change the drop-down to "Disabled".

WINDOWS DEFENDER

Open. Tools, Options, Auto scanning off.

DISK DEFRAGMENTER

Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter, Uncheck “run on a schedule

SYSTEM RESTORE

Microsoft button and pause/break, Click System Protection, Uncheck drive(s)

UAC

Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, User Accounts.
    Click Turn User Account Control on or off.

Disable UAC
    Clear the tick or check mark on the box beside the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer option. Uncheck UAC, Click OK.

The version of vista is now called xp ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cgarrad wrote: »
    The version of vista is now called xp ;-)
    You forgot to turn off aero :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Rubber bands + heat = very silent drive

Advertisement