Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying car (VW Golf '99)

Options
  • 19-04-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in London now but coming home soon and I want to take a car home too. I saw this on autotrader.co.uk and I'd like to get your opinions on it please ? Thinking of going out and having a look today. Here it is.

VW Golf 1.4S 1999 88000 miles

Also, does anyone know if any companies in Ireland offer warranties on cars? Looking at the car, is it worth a look or should I stay away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seems expensive?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Yep thats one thing. I could hammer him down to £2500, or is that wishful thinking ?

Have a look at this list from Autotrader. Hope the link works. Stick in your own postcode for correct distance info. The code I used is in Newry.

Also, are you aware you must have owned and used the car for 6 months before you can bring it in free of VRT on a Transfer of Residence?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-50-54-62-4294966995-4294967159/search.action

[edit] You need to put 1.4 1999 in Keyword box, then click Search. Don't know why the link does not retain the info in this box. [/edit]

Not your ornery onager

Ill pay the VRT on the car when I bring it in. I was going to keep the car here for 6 months but now I'm not. The cost of living here is really high and the rent payments would negate the saving I would make on VRT.

I think I'm going to skip that Golf to be honest. The mileage is 88,000 miles which is a bit too high. I have a focus I'm looking at and if anyone could offer their opinion I'd be most pleased.

Ford Focus 1.6LX 1999

• Advertisement

I went for that '99 ford focus. I got it checked by a mechanic and it was in excellent nick. Nothing wrong with it.

Looks nice. How much did you pay in the end?

Not your ornery onager

I had the car checked by a mechanic and it was in perfect condition. Nothing wrong with it so I made him an offer and we got the car tonight. Great nick, great drive and a bargain at 2750.

It is a 1999, so does that mean if I bring it in after July 1st this year I will have to pay a 2000 euro tax bill. I hear that there is no official CO2 emissions data for cars pre 2001. Does this mean my 1999 focus will be penalised badly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pontovic wrote: »
    It is a 1999, so does that mean if I bring it in after July 1st this year I will have to pay a 2000 euro tax bill.

No it doesn't :)

Tax will be based on the old engine size system for all cars except for 2008 and newer cars. See first post of the sticky for all the details

• Advertisement

Cool! It kicks out 165g/km of CO2 and it can do an average of 40mpg, so it's a very economical engine.

Advertisement