Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank for Student Account?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a first year college student who does not yet have a proper bank account. I have a post office account and a RaboDirect account, but I now want to open a student account in some bank so I can avail of ATM services etc.

Is there any real difference between banks? I've procrastinated far too long on this, and as a result, all the promotions banks were running on opening student bank accounts have ended, and I really don't know where to start comparing them.

The most convenient bank for me would probably be AIB, since my local branch is down the road, and there's a branch on campus in TCD, where I attend college. However, if there were a significant benefit in going with some other bank, I would, since I reckon the convenience of where your closest bank branch is isn't much of an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

If you simply want ATM services, your choice of bank is not a major deal. However, if you are interested in other services i.e. credit card, overdraft facility, online banking etc., you will find differences between what is on offer from the various institutions. Personally, I would recommened BOI. They offer a student free banking, ATM/Laser card, credit card with a €400 limit for 1st and 2nd years, and access to 365 Online Banking. Ulster Bank are also quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To be honest, they all offer a student free banking, ATM/Debit card, Credit Card, Online Banking etc.

It's really down to whatever bank is most convenient for you.

To open an account, you will need ID (Passport/Driver's Licence) plus proof of address (utility bills etc.) This has nothing to do with the Bank, it's simply the law (Criminal Justice Act)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a first year college student who does not yet have a proper bank account. I have a post office account and a RaboDirect account, but I now want to open a student account in some bank so I can avail of ATM services etc.

Is there any real difference between banks? I've procrastinated far too long on this, and as a result, all the promotions banks were running on opening student bank accounts have ended, and I really don't know where to start comparing them.

The most convenient bank for me would probably be AIB, since my local branch is down the road, and there's a branch on campus in TCD, where I attend college. However, if there were a significant benefit in going with some other bank, I would, since I reckon the convenience of where your closest bank branch is isn't much of an issue.

BOI also have a TCD branch. Pick up some in branch literature and see what the student package contains. The BOI student package is good though, and they also do interest free student travel loans which are handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd have to recommend AIB. I have two accounts - BOI and AIB and i find AIB easier to deal with, their online banking is better laid out, i have a credit card with them with a limit of €600. When i went to BOI to enquire about something they were rude and didnt really care about a silly little student!!!

Advertisement