Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Naan Bread

• 19-04-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Anyone here have any suggestions about how to cook tasty supermarket naan bread? The garlicier and cheesier the better
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Not at all sure what you're asking here... the best way to 'cook' supermarket naan bread is to follow the instructions on the packet.

Or are you asking how to make your own from scratch so it turns out like the horrible fake naan you get in supermarkets? I can't understand why you would want to do that, rather than make it like the fantastic naan bread you get in decent Indian restaurants.

In any case, you'll find it hard to make good naan from scratch. It's baked in a tandoori oven at some outrageous temperature you'll never get anywhere near in a domestic cooker. The best way I've found is to make up a bread dough using a sourdough leaven, with a little natural yoghurt in the mix. Let it prove slowly at room temperature, then form into naan-sized ovals about half an inch thick and cook in a hot cast iron pan on a gas ring rather than in the oven.

To make it garlicy and cheesey, add garlic and cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

rockbeer wrote: »
    Not at all sure what you're asking here... the best way to 'cook' supermarket naan bread is to follow the instructions on the packet.

Or are you asking how to make your own from scratch so it turns out like the horrible fake naan you get in supermarkets? I can't understand why you would want to do that, rather than make it like the fantastic naan bread you get in decent Indian restaurants.

In any case, you'll find it hard to make good naan from scratch. It's baked in a tandoori oven at some outrageous temperature you'll never get anywhere near in a domestic cooker. The best way I've found is to make up a bread dough using a sourdough leaven, with a little natural yoghurt in the mix. Let it prove slowly at room temperature, then form into naan-sized ovals about half an inch thick and cook in a hot cast iron pan on a gas ring rather than in the oven.

To make it garlicy and cheesey, add garlic and cheese!

Basically what i'm asking is if theres any tricks/tips or additives that will make the supermarket-bought naan bread taste more like real naan bread.
    If i want to make it chessey or garlicy do i just slice open the bread and put these in or do i grate them on top of it?whata type of cheese is good?

I'm basically a novice at cooking indian food.Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Basically what i'm asking is if theres any tricks/tips or additives that will make the supermarket-bought naan bread taste more like real naan bread.
    If i want to make it chessey or garlicy do i just slice open the bread and put these in or do i grate them on top of it?whata type of cheese is good?

I'm basically a novice at cooking indian food.Cheers,

you could pour a load of melted ghee or butter:D

if you want to try a go your self video jug have a good demo

how-to-make-naan-bread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Get this:

131.jpg

Brush a bit over the naan bread with a pastry brush (not too much, it's incredibly strong).
    Grate cheese over it.
    Whack it in the grill until cheese melts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Ah, I understand now...

What Faith said.
    Or go to an Indian grocers, pick up a bag of fried garlic flakes and sprinkle them all over it.

• Advertisement

What is the nan and other breadstuffs in the Indian grocerye like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Ah!, Video jug to the rescue. How I love that site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Anyone here have any suggestions about how to cook tasty supermarket naan bread? The garlicier and cheesier the better
    Cheers

MUCK
    Cheers

NOT POSSIBLE

Advertisement