Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 way extension lead?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know anywhere in South Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) I can pick up a bleedin 1 way extension lead like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1207&criteria=extension%20lead&doy=19m4. I've tried 3 tescos, Dunnes in Cornelscourt and 2 woodies and no luck, I did find one in DID Electrical but it was 7 euro for a 3 meter one, where as they are €4.99 for a 4 way in woodies, so I felt like I was getting ripped off and didn't buy it:pac:

So just a normal 1 way extension lead, hopefully 2 meters, 3 meters max.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just another question on this actually. If I have a 4 way surge protected lead, and I plug another 4 way lead that isn't surge protected into one of the sockets on the surge protected lead, and leave the other 3 sockets free, will all the plugs that I then plug into the non surge protected adaptor then be surge protected because they're all getting power from the socket on the surge protected lead? Is there any reason not to ever plug 1 four way into another four way even if you are just using 4 sockets on the end one, I'm guessing it could be a bit overload if you were to have 4 on the end, and the 3 spare sockets all powering something? But then again I suppose it depends on what they are powering?

Any feedback appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The "surge protected" sockets means very little.

But what little it does mean would apply to everything plugged in "downstream".

An APC made UPS or similar DOES do surge protection (and brown out, glitch & spike protection too). Though if a really bad surge it may die...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry I'm not too sure what you're saying there. Do you mean to say a surge protector doesn't really work? Somebody I know was using their computer one of the stormy nights and I'm not sure what happened, it was definitely weather related, but his PC basically blew up and a big puff of smoke came out of it. He had to replace the power yolky mabob of it. Would this still have happened if he had it plugged into a surge protector?

So when you say downstream, everything plugged into that socket would be protected, but you're saying not protected well? Or not protected the right way?

I'm not sure what you're last line means at all:o What's an APS UPS?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Advertisement