Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs at the weekend?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Why do so many of the pubs in town put the entrance age up to 21 or 23 at the weekend? It's not like there's a huge amount of students around anyway? I stay up in in Cork for most weekends because I home's quite far away, and more or less the only place I can go to that I'd go to during the week is the Brog (and I'm bloody sick of the Brog)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To keep out the 16 year olds using their siblings ID. Generally, they'll only turn you away if they don't like the look of you or think you're underage. If it says over 21's, they don't tend to be terribly strict with that unless you look like a scumbag or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well colour me scumbag I guess :D tried, and failed, to get into the wash, the courthouse and suas last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

What kinda clothes you wear going out OP?

Ooh cheeky:p I was wearing skinny black jeans, red pumps, v-cut red top and a black fitted blazer, twas hardly ghetto-tastic like, fairly typical out-fit if I'm heading into town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Could have just been full in the places. What time abouts? And what age are you? They're probably slow to let in 18 year olds, or young looking 19 year olds.

Also, never forget bouncers are all on power trips ;).

• Advertisement

I'm nineteen, nearly twenty! Well, the guy at the courthouse basically told us to feck off, the guys at suas were nice but firm, the guy at the wash was pretty apologetic and told us to head to sober lane or the brog, it was still annoying though, as in there were three of us, all nineteen, we all had our passports, nobody had had any drink etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Because men under 21/23 are usually rowdy/idiots, so you can understand why bar owners don't want them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

About 2/3 weeks ago I was up in Dublin for our 1st quarter meeting, same old same old...
    I got back into town at about 7pm with any hope of a productive day written off, so I did what any reasonable person would have done, bought the Times and went for a glass of wine and a cigarette to enjoy what was left of a sunny evening. So I ambled over to Soho (checking it was empty first) paper under the arm, still in suit and tie. I was a bit suprised when the bouncer asked me for my ID, but not bothered (I'm 22). I was however shocked when I was refused entry on account of the fact that I was not 23.
    I normally would'nt drink in Soho, only for the fact that it was the only place catching the sun I wouldnt have bothered. I certainly shant bother again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

You think that's bad, try being 26, sober and dressed casual after work (sweater, jeans, black runners) and being quizzed for ID at 7pm on a monday in a pub you've gone to for 6 yrs, on a fairly regular basis (tho I wouldn't call myself A regular) your second visit to that pub in 3 days, by someone at least 5yrs your junior who is incapable of poaring a pint!:mad: Tho she seems to be the only incompetant pint-puller that i've spotted there (thank f**k)

I won't name the pub (it's Tom Barry's on Barrack St) but it's happened to me often enough there. I wouldn't mind if I looked young, but there NO WAY that I could pass for below 21, nevermind 17! And then, cheek of it, she asked to see another ID, as she couldn't see my driving licence well enough. To be fair, it probably doesn't look that much like me.... seeing as how I passed my driving test last century.....

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    You think that's bad, try being 26, sober and dressed casual after work (sweater, jeans, black runners) and being quizzed for ID at 7pm on a monday in a pub you've gone to for 6 yrs, on a fairly regular basis (tho I wouldn't call myself A regular) your second visit to that pub in 3 days, by someone at least 5yrs your junior who is incapable of poaring a pint!:mad: Tho she seems to be the only incompetant pint-puller that i've spotted there (thank f**k)

I won't name the pub (it's Tom Barry's on Barrack St) but it's happened to me often enough there. I wouldn't mind if I looked young, but there NO WAY that I could pass for below 21, nevermind 17! And then, cheek of it, she asked to see another ID, as she couldn't see my driving licence well enough. To be fair, it probably doesn't look that much like me.... seeing as how I passed my driving test last century.....

Ooo Yeah Tom Barrys are strict alright. They think they are such a hip, alternative bar. Although it is quite nice. I got in their a few weeks ago( while doing the BArrack Street challenge and im only 19:eek:) Only 3 out of 16 of us actually got in and i think its cos we somehow snuck in under their radar which is virtually impossible!!

• Advertisement

blow69 wrote: »
    Ooo Yeah Tom Barrys are strict alright. They think they are such a hip, alternative bar. Although it is quite nice. I got in their a few weeks ago( while doing the BArrack Street challenge and im only 19:eek:) Only 3 out of 16 of us actually got in and i think its cos we somehow snuck in under their radar which is virtually impossible!!

What do you expect a bar manager to do when 16 nineteen year olds arrive in the door, honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

They wouldn't let us into Tom Barry's when we were doing the Barrack St Challenge either, there were about 10 of us aged 22-25.

In fairness I wouldn't have let us in either, we were all wearing reindeer antlers and some of us may have been doing an exceptionally loud and tuneless rendition of Voodoo Child by the Rogue Traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Wash is the worst pub in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

What the hell is going on with the Quad!!!

Went in there on Saturday night after 11pm and the place was deserted! That place used to be packed at the weekend!

The Wash is ok, can get pretty packed. Not as bad as Reardons. It is always so packed and takes about 20mins to get a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I agree. I was not impressed with the Quad whatsoever the last time I was there a few weeks ago!!

Apparently the Slate is the new Quad? Can anyone advise? I just remember the Slate when it was Bar Rumba and it was the worse place imaginable so I'm a bit wary going in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Aspiration wrote: »
    I agree. I was not impressed with the Quad whatsoever the last time I was there a few weeks ago!!

Apparently the Slate is the new Quad? Can anyone advise? I just remember the Slate when it was Bar Rumba and it was the worse place imaginable so I'm a bit wary going in there...

Ah Bar Rumba was pants, but The Slate is pretty cool. Good music, decent enough crowd. Crowd isn't too young nor too old.
    It is a shame how the Quad can be desperatly empty of people and atmosphere at times.
    It's VERY hit 'n' miss

I don't like the Quad because it's pretty grotty, dark, empty and the acoustics in there are awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

blow69 wrote: »

Tom Barry's don't really have conventional admittance rules being honest. I have seen them turn away three mid twenties guys in the middle of the day because they wanted to watch a match in there. I wouldn't really use Tom Barry's as a measure of any pub. They are overpriced by Barrack street standards anyway. The best time to go to Tom's is Mondays or Tuesdays when it's not full.

The owner is dead on though, he is in there most days and generally lets the staff working decide who gets in or not. I like Tom's though and my friends are good friends with the staff and I always got on ok in there whether I was on my own or not.

Because men under 21/23 are usually rowdy/idiots, so you can understand why bar owners don't want them in.

In a word, no. Places like the Wash (a **** pub if ever there was one) have an over 21's rule because the majority of people going there at the weekends are not students so they want to keep the crowd to one particular type. You go there on a Wednesday or Thursday night and you can't get in the door because of the crowds of students. It has nothing to do with rowdy sub 21/23 year olds.

SoHo is a joke. I walked in there one day with a friend and I was in runners, jeans and a hoody on and just nodded at the bouncer and he said hi (I didn't know him). Five minutes later I'm sitting down having a pint and the nice early twenties couple who approach the door get turned away. This was 6 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I was a bit shocked because the couple he turned away were quite well dressed.

The Crane Lane are generally ok. Supposedly 21's too but as long as your able to stand up straight and look decent enough (in your demeanour, not your clothes) they let you in. Great beer in the Crane Lane too.

The Quad really went downhill I think. Their draught is shockingly bad and in general I'd rather go to Fred's if I wanted to listen to metal and not be poisoned by the beer.

The Slate is great, they have Erdinger Dunkel which I haven't seen in any other pubs in Cork. It attracts a good mix of local and foreign people, a lot of the Eastern Europeans and Africans that work int he hotels around town end up in there from what I've seen. The Slate used to be pretty bad with ID etc but they let most people in now since they switched the bouncers around. Of course the downside is the dickheads who worked on the Slate are now at some other pub doing what they do best :D

Froot wrote: »
    Tom Barry's don't really have conventional admittance rules being honest. I have seen them turn away three mid twenties guys in the middle of the day because they wanted to watch a match in there. I wouldn't really use Tom Barry's as a measure of any pub. They are overpriced by Barrack street standards anyway. The best time to go to Tom's is Mondays or Tuesdays when it's not full.

The owner is dead on though, he is in there most days and generally lets the staff working decide who gets in or not. I like Tom's though and my friends are good friends with the staff and I always got on ok in there whether I was on my own or not.

In a word, no. Places like the Wash (a **** pub if ever there was one) have an over 21's rule because the majority of people going there at the weekends are not students so they want to keep the crowd to one particular type. You go there on a Wednesday or Thursday night and you can't get in the door because of the crowds of students. It has nothing to do with rowdy sub 21/23 year olds.

SoHo is a joke. I walked in there one day with a friend and I was in runners, jeans and a hoody on and just nodded at the bouncer and he said hi (I didn't know him). Five minutes later I'm sitting down having a pint and the nice early twenties couple who approach the door get turned away. This was 6 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I was a bit shocked because the couple he turned away were quite well dressed.

The Crane Lane are generally ok. Supposedly 21's too but as long as your able to stand up straight and look decent enough (in your demeanour, not your clothes) they let you in. Great beer in the Crane Lane too.

The Quad really went downhill I think. Their draught is shockingly bad and in general I'd rather go to Fred's if I wanted to listen to metal and not be poisoned by the beer.

The Slate is great, they have Erdinger Dunkel which I haven't seen in any other pubs in Cork. It attracts a good mix of local and foreign people, a lot of the Eastern Europeans and Africans that work int he hotels around town end up in there from what I've seen. The Slate used to be pretty bad with ID etc but they let most people in now since they switched the bouncers around. Of course the downside is the dickheads who worked on the Slate are now at some other pub doing what they do best :D

Sorry, but drunken men under the age of 21 are ****ing retards. End of story.

Sorry, but drunken men under the age of 21 are ****ing retards. End of story.

Drunk people are ****ing retards. I'm pretty sure you're a retard when drunk.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »

Sorry, I don't drink. But I'm right, young men are just a special kind of annoying when drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Sorry, I don't drink. But I'm right, young men are just a special kind of annoying when drunk.

Like young women are any better?

juror wrote: »
    Like young women are any better?

Oh yeah, once they are hot. :pac:

What, more annoying than the lecherous middle aged male drunks who sconce you (well, not you) and breathe beer in your face? Or the girls starting fights or screaming crying because they've lost their ID "oh no, I've literally lost my identity?" it's a pretty offensive stereoptype tbh, plenty young fellas just get delighted with everything, or try to french their male friends, or refuse to leave the dancefloor, or similar such perfectly inoffensive behaviour

I'm standing by my statement. The most annoying organisms in the universe are human males, aged 18-21, especially when drunk.

Fin.

Pretty hard to argue with that I guess...meh

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

The most annoying organisms in the universe are humans aged 18-21, especially when drunk.

But that's just my opionion.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kold wrote: »

Yeah but older guys tend to get less drunk on average than guys at 19 or 20. Me, and the vast majority of people I know, are far more reasonable about the amount we drink now (in our late twenties/early thirties) than we were when we were 19 or 20 when we used to get locked nine times out of ten if we were going to a pub.

For public order offences, young guys are worse though most of the reasons for over 21's or over 25's etc is because the manager wants a particular "crowd".

OP: We all went through it (well, most of us) and we all bitched about it but honestly, now that I'm older I like drinking in places which have a slightly older crowd and can see the point of restricting age/dress/level of drunkenness etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

As a twenty two year old up to very recently i'd have argued staunchly that i'm no different in my drinking habits and general attitude with a few drinks than i was when 18. However recently (in the last few weeks) my pretty and quiet local has changed hands and ive learned a thing or two. The previous managers ruled with an iron fist and often i got a little odd with the flippency that they showed when barring people (not me i knew one of them quite well). However now under new owners and managers and an obvious attempt to get a mainly young crowd has turned me and all my friends off. What used to be the ideal local, all the good matches great pints background music good conversation and nice and easy going staff has been replaced by a dj, pushing and shoving, sh1t music, an absolute idiot of a bouncer and all sorts of other messing from the nw improved younger clientel. And then it hit me in a moment of clarity i saw myself at 18 on a night out in town(never in the local that sort of messing simply wasn't tolerated) and realised not only do i not carry on like that any more, i'm damn glad everywhere in town i go is against that sort of thing too!!
    So op while i feel your pain and remember the many nights i bitched at moaned at not being able to go hardly anywhere in town on saturday night, i have to say i'm glad its that way and in all probability you will too if in two years your still in Cork.
    Also as an aside if you go out with people over 21/23 than you'll have no problem with getting in especially if is just two or three of ye.

Advertisement