Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs at the weekend?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slayer83666

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    You think that's bad, try being 26, sober and dressed casual after work (sweater, jeans, black runners) and being quizzed for ID at 7pm on a monday in a pub you've gone to for 6 yrs, on a fairly regular basis (tho I wouldn't call myself A regular) your second visit to that pub in 3 days, by someone at least 5yrs your junior who is incapable of poaring a pint!:mad: Tho she seems to be the only incompetant pint-puller that i've spotted there (thank f**k)

I won't name the pub (it's Tom Barry's on Barrack St) but it's happened to me often enough there. I wouldn't mind if I looked young, but there NO WAY that I could pass for below 21, nevermind 17! And then, cheek of it, she asked to see another ID, as she couldn't see my driving licence well enough. To be fair, it probably doesn't look that much like me.... seeing as how I passed my driving test last century.....

Went to Tom Barry's most Friday nights last summer, then comes one Friday evening I go in as normal with my friend (both 24 at the time, female). order 2 pints and this one (think her name is Jennifer) comes into the bar holding glasses and says 'not tonight girls' we were shocked. Asked for a reason and she said she didn't have to give us any, that we could come back the next night and she would serve us then. Made absolutely no sense. She was rude, ignorant and unmovable so we left. Have heard of this happening a lot and will never give that place a cent more of my money. Tom Barry's 'warm welcome guaranteed every time' my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Dimitri wrote: »
    As a twenty two year old up to very recently i'd have argued staunchly that i'm no different in my drinking habits and general attitude with a few drinks than i was when 18. However recently (in the last few weeks) my pretty and quiet local has changed hands and ive learned a thing or two. The previous managers ruled with an iron fist and often i got a little odd with the flippency that they showed when barring people (not me i knew one of them quite well). However now under new owners and managers and an obvious attempt to get a mainly young crowd has turned me and all my friends off. What used to be the ideal local, all the good matches great pints background music good conversation and nice and easy going staff has been replaced by a dj, pushing and shoving, sh1t music, an absolute idiot of a bouncer and all sorts of other messing from the nw improved younger clientel. And then it hit me in a moment of clarity i saw myself at 18 on a night out in town(never in the local that sort of messing simply wasn't tolerated) and realised not only do i not carry on like that any more, i'm damn glad everywhere in town i go is against that sort of thing too!!
    So op while i feel your pain and remember the many nights i bitched at moaned at not being able to go hardly anywhere in town on saturday night, i have to say i'm glad its that way and in all probability you will too if in two years your still in Cork.
    Also as an aside if you go out with people over 21/23 than you'll have no problem with getting in especially if is just two or three of ye.

*organises strictly under 20s house-party*

I can see your point certainly, it's still irritating though. The 18-21 demographic probably provides 50 -70% of pubs and clubs' revenue during the week, so for them to turn around and go "yes, your rounds of shots, curious fondness for double and triple measures of spirits, and general binge drinking have made me an awful lot of money and made it profitable to run a pub, but, nevertheless shhh, grown ups are talking now" Makes me a bit fonder of the brog actually. They may take a ridiculous amount of your money off you when you go in there but at least they don't refuse to take it based on age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Went to Tom Barry's most Friday nights last summer, then comes one Friday evening I go in as normal with my friend (both 24 at the time, female). order 2 pints and this one (think her name is Jennifer) comes into the bar holding glasses and says 'not tonight girls' we were shocked. Asked for a reason and she said she didn't have to give us any, that we could come back the next night and she would serve us then. Made absolutely no sense. She was rude, ignorant and unmovable so we left. Have heard of this happening a lot and will never give that place a cent more of my money. Tom Barry's 'warm welcome guaranteed every time' my ass

I've heard a lot of similar stories about Tom Barry's, is it actually that nice a pub or do people just go there just to see if they'll be let away with it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I've heard a lot of similar stories about Tom Barry's, is it actually that nice a pub or do people just go there just to see if they'll be let away with it?
    I certainly think it is plus i've never had any trouble getting served in there, maybe i'm just blind deaf and stupid* but i've never seen any one else have hassle in there either.

*entirely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

As a twenty two year old up to very recently i'd have argued staunchly that i'm no different in my drinking habits and general attitude with a few drinks than i was when 18. However recently (in the last few weeks) my pretty and quiet local has changed hands and ive learned a thing or two. The previous managers ruled with an iron fist and often i got a little odd with the flippency that they showed when barring people (not me i knew one of them quite well). However now under new owners and managers and an obvious attempt to get a mainly young crowd has turned me and all my friends off. What used to be the ideal local, all the good matches great pints background music good conversation and nice and easy going staff has been replaced by a dj, pushing and shoving, sh1t music, an absolute idiot of a bouncer and all sorts of other messing from the nw improved younger clientel. And then it hit me in a moment of clarity i saw myself at 18 on a night out in town(never in the local that sort of messing simply wasn't tolerated) and realised not only do i not carry on like that any more, i'm damn glad everywhere in town i go is against that sort of thing too!!
    So op while i feel your pain and remember the many nights i bitched at

what local is that? hardly the corner? and yes i do think you may be blaind and deaf*

*i know you very well

• Advertisement

chuci wrote: »
    what local is that? hardly the corner? and yes i do think you may be blaind and deaf*

*i know you very well
    yes yes the corner now has a dj and the rosies regularls are in there you know, the ones that stopped everyone else from drinking in rosies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was going out before to 2 mates of mine and they were already in Tom Barrys drinking away. I came in adn she asked me for ID. (I was 18 at the time) so I handed here my college ID and my Passport because of my Haircut at the time she told me not tonight while I was well dressed, and my demeanour is a very non-threatening or violent one.

I couldnt believe it and then she booted my friends because one of them asked why I wasnt getting served.

I am talking about the Blond girl.

I must say though I love Sober lane. The Staff are dead on. If they say Over 20's they are joking. and The Bar staff will make shots to order.

I got a jagerschlager in there and I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I was going out before to 2 mates of mine and they were already in Tom Barrys drinking away. I came in adn she asked me for ID. (I was 18 at the time) so I handed here my college ID and my Passport because of my Haircut at the time she told me not tonight while I was well dressed, and my demeanour is a very non-threatening or violent one.

I couldnt believe it and then she booted my friends because one of them asked why I wasnt getting served.

I am talking about the Blond girl.

I must say though I love Sober lane. The Staff are dead on. If they say Over 20's they are joking. and The Bar staff will make shots to order.

I got a jagerschlager in there and I loved it.

Yup,

Same thing happened to us, walked in, sober .. and yer one just said .. not tonight. get out.

We didnt even say anything and went across to the quin ryan.. is that still there actually ? CHEAP DRINK .. WOOOOOO !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Jagerschlager? Hmz. How much is that? €4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

soho is ****ing ridiculous... bouncers are jackasses

• Advertisement

yes yes the corner now has a dj and the rosies regularls are in there you know, the ones that stopped everyone else from drinking in rosies!

shudder really thats mad not missing much at home then i see. is that still over 21's ha

shudder really thats mad not missing much at home then i see. is that still over 21's ha

I wouldn.t know i no longer frequent the establishment as it has gone to the dogs...............actually thats an insult to the dogs:D

I wouldn.t know i no longer frequent the establishment as it has gone to the dogs...............actually thats an insult to the dogs:D

really thats mad so where is the local now? oh oh let me guess the hotel:p or have you ventured into town recently?

really thats mad so where is the local now? oh oh let me guess the hotel:p or have you ventured into town recently?

i do believe hogans has absorbed some people, nice bar really nice smoking area and never heard any complaints about the staff in there, i wouldn't know though exams have meant only working one day, which means after i've filled the car with petrol i'm broke!

i do believe hogans has absorbed some people, nice bar really nice smoking area and never heard any complaints about the staff in there, i wouldn't know though exams have meant only working one day, which means after i've filled the car with petrol i'm broke!

the parental unit are visitors there at the weekend so thats out for me.back to town then yay the brog im sure its changed massively since i left?how are the exams going for you?last ones ever isnt it?

the parental unit are visitors there at the weekend so thats out for me.back to town then yay the brog im sure its changed massively since i left?how are the exams going for you?last ones ever isnt it?

Indeed it is come thursday i'll have no more exams and hopefully come june i'll have a degree in economics which i'm sure will be of great and long term benefit.

Indeed it is come thursday i'll have no more exams and hopefully come june i'll have a degree in economics which i'm sure will be of great and long term benefit.

yes im sure it will ill be home in about a fortnight see you for a pint when i get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Take it to bebo?

Advertisement