Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick silly question

Options
  • 19-04-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Learning to drive at the moment, just one quick question....when putting the handbrake on at traffic lights etc should you put the gears back into neutral then put the handbrake on and take your foot off the clutch, or keep the gear in however you stopped, pull the handbrake up then put it into neutral and take your foot off the clutch?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey there, welcome to boards.ie
    Stop, handbrake, neutral, foot off the clutch.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

yeah handbrake then neutral.

If at the first in a queue at a set of lights should stay in gear and foot brake applied. no problem to do it when first in queue but anywhere else use the handbrake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Good practice especially at the front of the lights to have the handbrake applied. That way if a car hits you from behind you won't end up in the middle of the intersection.

daiixi wrote: »
    Good practice especially at the front of the lights to have the handbrake applied. That way if a car hits you from behind you won't end up in the middle of the intersection.

yeah i completely agree, i never undrstood the whole "dont apply handbrake if you're the first at lights" rational, handbrake can be released in one second so there's little loss of reaction time to lights changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1 to all the above posts. Stop, pull the handbrake, then go into neutral and disengage the clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Eeek, I never do that. What I do is break, clutch, stop, into first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

if you're in the first 3 at the lights, have the handbrake on with the car in gear.

Sangre wrote: »
    if you're in the first 3 at the lights, have the handbrake on with the car in gear.

I have to ask why? Just put the car into neutral and relax, there's no need to wear down the clutch cable by keeping it depressed the whole time. And if your response is "it'll take too long to get into gear", then i suggest you practise and take the time to observe the traffic and lights, it doesn't take rocket science to see when your lights are going to change, at which time you can get ready. Handbrake, neutral, release clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

.. and during the test be sure to put your hands back on the steering wheel and continue to be really alert! Over do it!!

techguy wrote: »
    .. and during the test be sure to put your hands back on the steering wheel and continue to be really alert! Over do it!!

+1:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

....Just put the car into neutral and relax, there's no need to wear down the clutch cable by keeping it depressed the whole time......... Handbrake, neutral, release clutch.
    +1
    ur only going to wear out ur clutch or maybe shunt forward if the cars in gear

Advertisement