Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Modding Decision (Playstation Forum)

Options
  • 19-04-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273189&page=7

Perfectly legitimate thread needlessly locked. Small episode occurred, instead of deleting the posts and banning the posters involved (straight up personal abuse), monument left the posts, didnt issue bans and locked a perfectly good thread detailing people ongoing saga with the MGS Online fiasco.

i know this has 'back seat modding' written all over it, but its just the fact that a perfectly good thread was locked that irks me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Did you PM Monument to ask for the reasoning behind the locking?

The thread was letting people know about something rather than a discussion. It still does that job when locked imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's a 100 post thread so I'm not personally going to go reading all of it without even a brief description of what happened from the OP. But it seems to have fallen into chaos and monument closed it because people didn't seem to want to participate in the thread. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Sherifu wrote: »
    Did you PM Monument to ask for the reasoning behind the locking?

I can see why he thinks it should be locked, I just disagree and imagine many others would.

To my mind, people were discussing the ongoing problems and their experiences, with the beta, various advice on how to get things working, and developments as they happen (Beta going live on monday, Konami's site being up/down, the situation with the update etc.). The thread certainly did not descend into chaos, it was literally only handfull of posts between two posters at the end of a previously fine, 7 page thread. On a personal level, I want to keep updated on what the situation is, and it'd be silly to have to start a new thread.

karmabass wrote: »
    I can see why he thinks it should be locked, I just disagree and imagine many others would.

To my mind, people were discussing the ongoing problems and their experiences, with the beta, various advice on how to get things working, and developments as they happen (Beta going live on monday, Konami's site being up/down, the situation with the update etc.). The thread certainly did not descend into chaos, it was literally only handfull of posts between two posters at the end of a previously fine, 7 page thread. On a personal level, I want to keep updated on what the situation is, and it'd be silly to have to start a new thread.
    Ok, fair enough. There's nothing to stop you creating a thread specifically for "ongoing problems and experiences with the MGO beta", is there?

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ok, fair enough. There's nothing to stop you creating a thread specifically for "ongoing problems and experiences with the beta", is there?

No, not at all. It just seems stupid to have to create a new thread to compensate for bad modding (no disrespect to monument)

• Advertisement

No, not at all. It just seems stupid to have to create a new thread to compensate for bad modding (no disrespect to monument)
    It seems stupid for a mod to spend time pruning and deleting posts from a thread to compensate for bad posting skills too, no disrespect to any of the posters on that thread either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Gordon wrote: »
    It seems stupid for a mod to spend time pruning and deleting posts from a thread to compensate for bad posting skills too, no disrespect to any of the posters on that thread either.

I was under the impression that was the point of moderating though. Surely the aim should be to keep a valid thread alive if it's only a minor offence affecting it.

By that logic, many great/popular threads could easily be ruined by one moron, but by and large the problem is solved and the thread can continue. (Not to say that the thread in question was a masterpiece, but it should have been allowed to continue). To make a pointless analogy, You don't call off a debate just cause someones ruled out of order :pac:

also; posting a new thread in the spirit of the original would necessitate pulling all the info from many of the posts to initiate those new to the beta with the story so far
    Putting up a new thread when the original has been locked generally doesn't go down well at all with mods, might cause the OP more problems

Also crossed my mind, although in this case I don't think it'd be a problem.

ziggy wrote: »
    I know that. I didn't say to put up the original thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    A thread on a different topic then since we're being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was under the impression that was the point of moderating though. Surely the aim should be to keep a valid thread alive if it's only a minor offence affecting it.

If its minor. To be fair problems only started on post 95 If I'm freading it correctly (having skipped the other 80 posts). a couple snip actions and a warning would have grabbed everyone's attention.
    Gordon wrote:

Normally I agree. But it was going constructively for a good while there. Would anyone lock KYN because of a few de-railing posts?

Overheal wrote: »
    Would anyone lock KYN because of a few de-railing posts?
    Long threads do get closed due to a few people taking it off topic, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yet another petty argument between posters on the Playstation forum, however not between clans this time. Glad to see Monument modding it more regularly tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Perfectly legitimate thread needlessly locked.

Legitimate, maybe.

Stimulating debate? No.

Lots of people saying close to the same thing? Yes.

Going anywhere that could not be fulfilled by a new tread? No.

Small episode occurred, instead of deleting the posts and banning the posters involved (straight up personal abuse), monument left the posts, didnt issue bans

You see the small episode, I'm looking at the wider muppetry on the PlayStation board in the last few months.

If you really must know, I like to use discretion and come down harder on people when they step out of line again.
    and locked a perfectly good thread detailing people ongoing saga with the MGS Online fiasco.

It's still perfectly viewable. And, yes, you are more then welcome to start a new thread if you think you have anything to add.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh the end of that thread had turned into a cluster****, there wasn't any way to recover it, people would have just carried regardless, and there wasn't much point in banning people, it would have just turned into circular rows over who said what to who when and how. Bets thing to do was just lock and let everybody move on.

I'm sure if there's more reason to discuss the original topic, the MGO issue, you could pm Monument and ask if it's ok to start another thread

edit: apparantly it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually Steve makes a good point. I remember a PI a while back that had plenty of moderator warnings in it telling people to stay on topic... it was a mess, to their credit.

Advertisement