Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 + Eircom Broadband

• 19-04-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I am currently thinking of buying a PS3 and would like to know what I need to get it on-line.

I have Eircom broadband at home and netopia 3347WG wired modem attached to my desktop which is in a different room to where I'd have my PS3. Therefore I'd probably need a wireless router to get the PS3 online.

Which wireless router would you recommend? And will it be complicated to set-up?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I am currently thinking of buying a PS3 and would like to know what I need to get it on-line.

I have Eircom broadband at home and netopia 3347WG wired modem attached to my desktop which is in a different room to where I'd have my PS3. Therefore I'd probably need a wireless router to get the PS3 online.

Which wireless router would you recommend? And will it be complicated to set-up?

The Netopia 3347Wg is a Wireless Router.
    Is this what you have?
    wireless_257.jpg

or

Netopia_3346N-VGX.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I have the first one with the aerial sticking out.

:confused:Right I'm confused, I got this router ages ago from Eircom and can't really remember what it is.

Are you saying I already have a wireless router... So I already have all I need to connect a PS3 to the internet wirelessly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Then you have a wireless router already mate , try it first and see if its OK , if it works then theres no need to buy anything .

Right I'm confused, I got this router ages ago from Eircom, are you saying I already have a wireless router... So I already have all I need to connect a PS3 to the internet wirelessly?

Yes , that aerial sticking out is the part of the transmitter , its a wireless router !

To set it up , just try to auto connect from the PS3 , you may need to know your SSID and WEP/WPA password if you have security set up.

To find out do this ,

Open a command prompt on your PC , make sure the modem is on , and type ipconfig , look for Default gateway , and note the number , it should look something like this

192.168.1.254 or similar ,

Now open up a browser window , and type that number into the address bar , that will bring you to the set up page for the modem , have a look down the side menu , you should see a " wireless " option , look here and you should see your security details and your password for it if its set up.

I tried typing ipconfig into the 'run' command prompt, a dos window just flashed on the display and disappeared, is this where you wanted me to type it?

• Advertisement

Cool found the Command prompt icon in accessories thanks, i'll try that.

Right it says its enabled. It should work with a PS3 then?

If I wanted to check if it worked with a laptop I'd just set up a new wireless network with the Wireless ID (SSID) and Encryption key as stated on the browser yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The router probably has some sort of security enabled, so you'll at least have to enter the WEP key or WPA password into the device you're trying to get connected. You should see the key/password on the wireless section of the router configuration you were just looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Oh, it seems you already realized that. Yes, that's all you should have to do unless the router has even more security enabled (and you'd probably remember doing this).

If I wanted to check if it worked with a laptop I'd just set up a new wireless network with the Wireless ID (SSID) and Encryption key as stated on the browser yes?

Yup , thats it !

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks all for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey! trying to connect my eircom broadband to my ps3 but ethernet is not connected keeps coming up?? Why do i need the cable connected when its wireless or what can I do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Change the internet settings on the PS3 to wireless and it will detect the router wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Thanks dude got it!!

Advertisement