Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive dies in xbox.

Options
  • 19-04-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

The hard drive die in my xbox during a recent softmod attempt, OOPS :)

Anyways my question is can I just chip my xbox with something like this and put a new drive in it?

What would I have to do to the xbox to be able to use XBMC on it after this?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure about chipping as ive never looked into it, but if you know the Kernal of your xbox and someone here has the same kernaled Xbox (and has replaced their HDD) you could always ask for their original xbox HDD.

I know ive 2 or 3 original xbox hard drives just sitting at home.

Secondly, if they didnt have any spare ones they could always burn an image of their xbox onto a CD and give that to you, then you copy this to a new hard drive and put it in your xbox. This is mentioned in my Guide on "how to install a new hard drive in your xbox"

Correct me if im wrong anyone...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you have the eeprom saved somewhere, on PC or burned ISO, you can do exactly as Black_Knight suggested.

If not the ONLY option is to get a modchip. With a modchip, you can just install any HDD and not worry about eeproms and locking the HDD.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ahhhh yes! The eeprom! Totally forgot about this. Still half asleep.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

you can try read the eeprom

Must make one of these when i go back to college!

EDIT: or buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks guys I think i will just modchip it and stick the new drive I have for it in.

• Advertisement

One other quick question.
    Do I need what was on the original xbox harddrive [c, d drive] to install xbmc after modchipping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not really. Only the gamesaves if you had many.

Thanks ongarite.

Advertisement