Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS have hit a new low...

• 19-04-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Link

I find this very very pathetic.

P.S. I have both a ps3 and xbox 360 before you call me a fanboy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Right...both are as petty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

kaimera wrote: »
    Right...both are as petty tbh.

Oh I agree, both Sony and MS have been acting like children with their comments about each other, but this is definitly a new low for MS imo. I mean it's only 5 minutes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I thought you were going to say they were ripping off customers of something.
    That's nothing really just standard PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Is this real? I don't see where the actual source of this email is mentioned. It could be, and you're right it's silly stuff, but the usual PR crap that both sides seem determined to participate in. I don't have a PS3, but if I did a 5 minute install wouldn't bother me in the least - I'd just fetch another can from the fridge and take a leak (maybe not in that order). It's nothing compared to the loading times on Bully for the 360 if you were to add them all up (I know it's a port, and not MS's doing, but it's still a game on their system).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Didnt the OXM review mention something about an optional install on the 360 ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah theres slowdown if you play it off the disc without installing on the 360

ms obviously left "get really pissed off at a jittery framerate" out of their things you could do while the ps3 version was installing

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"5 minutes"

FFS. I'd definitely not buy a game if I had to spend a whole 5 minutes installing it.
    Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Petty tbh. If it runs smoother by installing then I'd do so tbh.

Why is is that you need to install games on PS3 anyway?:confused:

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Why is is that you need to install games on PS3 anyway?:confused:

slow data transfer on bluray discs means that it cuts loading times to install textures etc to the harddrive instead of streaming from the discs. you dont need to install if theres enough room on the disc to have each texture available in a unique location on it from each usage, but if you cant it makes sense to install to the drive instead of having the bd drive searching for stuff live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

State.

Dont you also need to install Phantasy Star Uni. or something like that on the 360 also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

CyberWaste wrote: »
    State.

Dont you also need to install Phantasy Star Uni. or something like that on the 360 also?

Nope, Phantasy Star plays straight from the disc.
    I'd recommend installing it in your rubbish bin though.

Isn't there an optional install on the xbox as well?
    If makes things run smoother I'll be doing it.

And anyways 5 mins? Pffft

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Never heard of an "optional" install on the 360, I have maybe 15 titles and never came across it.
    So is GTAIV the first example of this amd how much space will it take on your harddrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I dont think this kind of advertising was needed to boost sales of this game, but fair play to whoever came up with the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Well I've been waiting 6 months since there was an initial date. Compared to that 5 minutes is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

F-Stop wrote: »
    Well I've been waiting 6 months since there was an initial date. Compared to that 5 minutes is nothing.

Touché

6 month delay was Sonys fault the sh1ts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Maybe MS put out that article to distract from their xbox live downtime today :rolleyes:.

I'm convinced the ba$t@rds knew that I was getting kinda good at COD4 and that today is my only day off college!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Helix wrote: »
    slow data transfer on bluray discs means that it cuts loading times to install textures etc to the harddrive instead of streaming from the discs. you dont need to install if theres enough room on the disc to have each texture available in a unique location on it from each usage, but if you cant it makes sense to install to the drive instead of having the bd drive searching for stuff live

and we never see any problems like that on the 360.....
    Wasnt the terrible texture pop in problem in Mass Effect put down to people eyes having too high a refresh rate or something? :rolleyes:

the 360 could really do with an optional install option too for most games imho. not only would there be better load times but it might stop it sounding like a hair dryer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Scruff wrote: »
    Wasnt the terrible texture pop in problem in Mass Effect put down to people eyes having too high a refresh rate or something? :rolleyes:

LOL :D

jayteecork wrote: »
    Never heard of an "optional" install on the 360, I have maybe 15 titles and never came across it.
    So is GTAIV the first example of this amd how much space will it take on your harddrive?

the footie manager games have installs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Scruff wrote: »
    and we never see any problems like that on the 360.....

the 360 could really do with an optional install option too for most games imho. not only would there be better load times but it might stop it sounding like a hair dryer as well.

Mass Effects sports hyper advanced ftl travel, advanced human biotics and the

slowest

lifts

known

to

man.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Touché

6 month delay was Sonys fault the sh1ts!

it wasn't all sony's fault, the game's main story arc was no where near finished at that time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I don't understand the need for this marketing...

I mean, it's not like you'd sell your PS3 and get an Xbox because of a once off 5 min instalation time. And those who own both consoles don't make up a large portion of their markets. It seems more pointless than petty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    I don't understand the need for this marketing...

I mean, it's not like you'd sell your PS3 and get an Xbox because of a once off 5 min instalation time. And those who own both consoles don't make up a large portion of their markets. It seems more pointless than petty!

Yeah but the games a console seller too, people will buy consoles on launch day just to play it, MS want you to buy the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Cremo wrote: »
    it wasn't all sony's fault, the game's main story arc was no where near finished at that time as well.

Hmm.. that's a new one! where did you hear that?

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah but the games a console seller too, people will buy consoles on launch day just to play it, MS want you to buy the 360.

Fair cop. Hadn't thought of that, tbh.
    Also, how much of the Wiki reports on the game are true? I don't buy any gamer mags, but a lot of it sounds as much impressive as it does unlikely to be true. Voice-navigation GPS? Go anywhere Taxis? Prank phonecalling the cops??? Really???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

didn't hear it anywhere, but i know it doesn't take a team of 50 guys with unlimited resources 6 months to optimise a game. there were also interviews where rockstar spokesmen said there were issues with the 360 version as well.
    Also, how much of the Wiki reports on the game are true? I don't buy any gamer mags, but a lot of it sounds as much impressive as it does unlikely to be true. Voice-navigation GPS? Go anywhere Taxis? Prank phonecalling the cops??? Really???

i'd believe something written on someone's left testicle before i'd believe wiki, especially when it comes to game facts or features in a game.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES/FEATURE/tabid/1488/Default.aspx?CID=0771f70d-dd45-4de6-9ab2-6899f3aeab8b&v7Pager=1

convinced me to buy it on the ps3 instead of my new 360 (which im unsure of in terms of reliability as its only new)

It's well known at this stage even the 360 version had frame-rate issues a month prior to it's intial release.
    mehfesto2 wrote:

yup, voice-nav gps will be in more fancier cars, the rest will have normal (no-voice) gps iirc. You can pay taxi's to go faster and just sit back and enjoy the view of the city, or pay even more and skip straight to your destination. Yes you can call the cops (or fire services) about a "cime", whether it be real or not, and then take their car when they arrive.

You can even take photo's of people and search the police database for information about that person (can be done in a police car I belive).

Benzino wrote: »
    It's well known at this stage even the 360 version had frame-rate issues a month prior to it's intial release.

yup, voice-nav gps will be in more fancier cars, the rest will have normal (no-voice) gps iirc. You can pay taxi's to go faster and just sit back and enjoy the view of the city, or pay even more and skip straight to your destination. Yes you can call the cops (or fire services) about a "cime", whether it be real or not, and then take their car when they arrive.

You can even take photo's of people and search the police database for information about that person (can be done in a police car I belive).

Sounds too good to be true!!! :D Where'd you hear this?

• Advertisement

Sounds too good to be true!!! :D Where'd you hear this?

Read it in a number of previews. Haven't read any reviews of the game though so it's possible that they could have been cut from the final game, like the listen to music on your phone anywhere feature.

Advertisement