Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop-down menus - different behaviour?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭

I've just noticed some different behaviour with the drop-down menus in recent days. I use Firefox, and have it configured so that ctrl-clicking on a link loads that page as a tab in the background. Previously if I ctrl-clicked on something in a drop down menu the tab loaded in the background as it should, but the menu itself stayed in place. I use this to open up a bunch of tabs for the forums that appear with new posts in the Subbed drop-down menu for example, so it's quite handy if the menu stays put and I can just go down the list ctrl-clicking on the entries with the * next to them. Now once I ctrl-click on a link in a drop-down menu the menu disappears meaning I have to continually move the mouse back up to the menu title to make it reappear which is a PITA.

So, is this a change to the menus, or is it a Firefox issue? I did recently auto-update to 2.0.0.14, but there's nothing in the changelog except for a security flaw being fixed (albeit in Javascript), so I wouldn't have thought it was that.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm seeing the same behaviour[menu disappears after clicking] with the latest FF(2.0.0.14). I wonder if it's releated to the ad hack from yesterday.

With IE7 the menu stays put after ctrl-clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually its about time I did this: how do I but boards and boards ad on my whitelist under FF?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually its about time I did this: how do I but boards and boards ad on my whitelist under FF?
    If you are using adblock plus then just click the arrow beside the abp logo and select "Disable on boards.ie".

Simple, and brillant :) thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I resent that simple remark but, yes I am brilliant. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All very interesting, but can I have my thread back, please :D ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So that's why when I click links, half the time they open in new tabs! I must be hitting ctrl too! I never knew that shortcut. Thanks Alun!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Updated the java sources of the menu yesterday evening at around 18:00, if it was since then that might be the reason.

Pro tip: middle click usually performs the functionality you're looking for, and still does.

Faith wrote: »
    So that's why when I click links, half the time they open in new tabs! I must be hitting ctrl too! I never knew that shortcut. Thanks Alun!

if you're using Firefox I think its just the default behavior for standard links to open it in a new tab: its in your Preferences under the tools menu. The Boards Navbar wouldnt be considered standard - it runs on some kind of script.

But out of habit I've used the middle click for years. No middle click on the lappy though so thats good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CuLT wrote: »
    Updated the java sources of the menu yesterday evening at around 18:00, if it was since then that might be the reason.
    Possibly, but that implies that someone, somewhere who changed the java for the menus thought that this behaviour would be preferable to the way it worked before. Can't see why this would be, to be honest. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and all that.
    Pro tip: middle click usually performs the functionality you're looking for, and still does.
    Indeed it does, never knew that. The middle click on my mouse is on the wheel and is a bit stiff compare to the other buttons which is why I generally don't use it, but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Alun wrote: »
    Possibly, but that implies that someone, somewhere who changed the java for the menus thought that this behaviour would be preferable to the way it worked before. Can't see why this would be, to be honest. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and all that.

Agree. I noticed it myself today - I thought I was donig sommat wrong, but now I had to do an extra click to get the subbed menu back up to select me subscribed forum.

Blast you developers - ye think ye know what's best for us mere....developers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Java menus are horrid on Archos 605 Opera Browser as there is no cursor (touch screen). It's impossible to use a nested menu. Even the 1st level brings up the Opera Context Menu as well as the java menu.

No idea why they don't have a cursor so arrow keys could naviagate. I wonder how other touch screens do java menus?

Overheal wrote: »
    But out of habit I've used the middle click for years. No middle click on the lappy though so thats good to know.

Try pressing the right and left click at the same time. That does the same as middle click for me on a dell inspiron 9400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Can I has old dropdown functionality back plz k thx bye?

Advertisement