Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi a4 or Lexus is200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Audi: quicker than lexus & will use no more petrol than it
    Lexus :much better handling, much more reliable

tough choice but I'd take the 3 series.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Reliability wise, you're probably better off with the lexus - as well as that, I'd say the audi's turbo could whack a fair lump onto the vrt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Lexus.

Every time. Audi way over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

Hi NewApproach,
    I've got a 01' Lexus IS200 sport for the last year and a quarter. I have to say fantastic car. I was thinkin' about Audi like yourself and the BMW 320. But after all the test drives in various cars I went with the Lex. There is acouple of faults like any car i suppose. One is the inner front tyre wear, I was lucky and I think (but not sure) the SE has no tyre wear. I put on Pireili PZeros and after 23,000 mile I see its time to change the tyres. You can read about it on the link below. another is the ERR1 code for the cd player which means time for a new one. This has n't happened to me yet. Link provided below. Other than that just a service which i did myself, kept the running cost down. And no other problems in fact its been totally reliable for me.
    Hope I helped.
    Mutton,
    Fred.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=48284&hl=inner+tyre+wear

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=46725&hl=err3+fault+code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks to all for your thoughts,

@Cyborg, I dont really like the image the e36 gives to be honest, and feel the e46 would be a tad too expensive.

@FredsWebHead, thanks a million. If I do decide to go for the Lexus, it would appear to be very reliable, if they are the only mainstream problems with it.

I would assume it would be cheaper to import now as opposed to after July, these being Petrols, yes?

• Advertisement

"I would assume it would be cheaper to import now as opposed to after July, these being Petrols, yes?"

Not sure about this, Do your own research on that one. I know you won't be disappointed with it thou. Enjoy.

Sea Weed.
    Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Stretch to the E46 if you can. Its the definitive article.

Plus, if you're going to keep it for a few years the maintenance will be lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it's a 3 series then don't bother with any of the 4 pots(316i or 318i). Get a 6 pot i.e. 320i at least.

6 cylinders are much better than 4, if you don't believe me then floor a 6 pot BMW(or the Lexus, that also has a 6 cylinder engine) and listen to the vastly superior noise over a 4 cylinder A4/ 316i/318i:D! You get way more power too. 4 pot BMWs from that vintage have a reputation for being anaemic for performance.

The Lexus would easily be the most reliable.

As E92 said about the 6pot engine great power delivery and really smooth aswell throu the gears. Hence why i was going for the 320 back then. But I knew more about toyota, easier for me to fix and source parts.
    Box,
    Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

E92, obviously you have no experience of BMW 4 pots...

Apart from the "noise", (i quite like silence) the 318i offers a lesson to engine builders in terms of linear torque and excellent economy.

Plus, Its far more efficient than the 6 pots...

• Advertisement

Will agree with Oilrig on this the 2.0 valvetronic engine in the 02 318i is almost as smooth and quicker than the 2.0 6 pot 320 and doesn't give away much on performance compared to the 6pot 2.2 320i while being far more economical than both.
    I don't see how it's going to cost you much more to stretch to the E46, but it's definately the better car and I've owned all 3.
    Oilrig wrote: »
    E92, obviously you have no experience of BMW 4 pots...

Apart from the "noise", (i quite like silence) the 318i offers a lesson to engine builders in terms of linear torque and excellent economy.

Plus, Its far more efficient than the 6 pots...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Hey hey the guy's asking about an A4 or an IS200 he's already narrowed it down - go waffle on the BMW forum :D

Lexus for me - although the IS200's/Altezzas are quickly becoming the car of choice for boy racers with a few bob and are losing a bit of their cred.
    Still a highly reliable car by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

eamon234 wrote: »
    Hey hey the guy's asking about an A4 or an IS200 he's already narrowed it down - go waffle on the BMW forum :D

Lexus for me - although the IS200's/Altezzas are quickly becoming the car of choice for boy racers with a few bob and are losing a bit of their cred.
    Still a highly reliable car by any means.
    2 good points!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The IS200 is a more modern design than that model A4, it is most likely better equipped and is rwd. My cousin has one and loves it.

IS200 downsides are that the 6 pot is not particularly quick and is thirsty, plus being a 2.0 litre it currently falls into the 30% VRT bracket.

Sorry folks, forgot I was in a Motors forum last night where an "Ultimate Driving Machine" of all cars which does 0-60 in almost 10.5 seconds is "fast":rolleyes:.

The OP has a budget of €6,750. The cheapest 00 318i on carzone costs €4,900 but then you have to pay €2,200 VRT on it.

The Valvetronic 318i arrived in 2002. The cheapest one on carzone is €9,150, plus VRT on top of that, and the car in question has no less than 110,000 miles too.

Now that is at least €2,400 over the OP's budget and then we have our 30% VRT, which according to the revenue is €4,089.

I never said anything about the Valvetronic engine, the OP was thinking about an E36, and his budget certainly can't afford the Valvetronic engine. So why are people going off in a tangent about a car that's beyond what the OP can afford?

Truth is that if the OP wants a BMW then he's stuck with the old fashioned non Valvetronic engine which has a reputation for a serious lack of performance(and 0-60 in 10.4 confirms for me that it is not fast) or else a 6 pot 320i or bigger(and faster:D).

The straight 6 engine is the most refined and smooth engine type in the world this side of a V12. Which is why BMW still use them. The other thing straight 6 engines are noted for is their free revving characteristics(it's not very hard to get them to rev very high as well) and cruically for Oilrig who is very bothered about noise is their quietness(of course they can be made very loud too as a Nissan Skyline confirms:D), especially at high revs compared to other engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Where did the OP even mention wanting a BMW? I could have sworn he was asking about A4s and IS200s...

That's where he started but he didn't reject the notion of a 3 series either;)!

The Lexus is the best of the 2 cars the OP posted in his OP, it will never ever go wrong and has a delightful sounding straight 6 engine over the Audi.

Valvetronic 318 arrived in sept 01 with the facelift
    save and scrimp for it OP! or just get the lexus which although thirstier,handles just as well but is a bit 'plasticy' inside and a bit 'tinny' like every toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks for all the comments!

Hate to disappoint you but I've looked at it in detail and I'm not really interested in the BMW.

Would also be slightly conscious of the Lexus being thirsty, aswell as being in the higher band of VRT, after looking in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Importing from UK, spend up to about £4200 (c€6750 inc VRT etc)

quote]

Hi,

You would have this 01 new model Audi A4 1.8T imported and vrt cleared within your budget...spotted it on used cars ni, it's up in antrim.....dosen't say the milage but at that price it's a bargin.....

http://www.usedcarsni.com/12975339

:cool: Nice Car for small money...

• Advertisement
Advertisement