Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert accounting?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok, i am in sixth year and i am doing accounting and well i am useless at it to say the least. I can never remember what figure goes, i don't think i have ever gotten a balance sheet to balance and i cannot do a question without looking back at a previous one. I am doing higher level and i got 20 in my pre and i was thinking about dropping down but apparently ordinary level is quite different and the last thing i want is to try and learn a whole new way of doing things. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to drop down or would i be better off doing higher level and studding my ass off on the questions that are likely to come up because i am improving....i have mastered the marginal costing!

Comments

Have a look at some of the past papers on examinations.ie for ordinary level to see what it's like. Honours Accounting isn't really that bad, it's just the same rules over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Choc123

And ask your teacher to maybe take you for a lunchtime or 2,mine does for accounting and its really helpful,youd be surprised how willing teachers are to give up their spare time seeing as the exams are so close!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah Choc is right, I was in the same position as you last year and just scraped a D3. This year I decided it was a new slate and got the teacher to sit with me for an hour for a couple of days and she showed me all the adjustments and I just kept doing them over and over again. Eventually in class it will all make sense...I got a B3 in my mock this time round.

believe it or not im actually not good at accounting but got an A2 in my mocks,just that the teacher actually sat down with me and now i do accounting from memmory and it just works 4 me,like I dont understand why u debit or credit things but you actually have to in order to score well.After all,much of the entire leaving cert is just a memory test!

Yeah I don't understand it too well either. Like you Choc, I just remember it and I actually like doing the questions...except for the Marginal Costing and all that kinda thing in the last section.

• Advertisement

spot on bud hate last section.All that means 4 us is we shouldnt do accounting for a carreer:),and im keeping miles away by doing journalism lol.

:D Same here. Gonna do Music Technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Hi,
    I have to resit an acc exam this year and I am totally rubbish at it. Its in May (actually 1st year College) but my basic knowledge is just zilch but I have to pass it or I'm out. Any help out there? Or any suggestions?

Get workin soon!
    Go to a teacher in a local secondary school, maybe sit in for a few of their classes. Maybe get grinds...

Advertisement