Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DIY car repairs

Options
  • 19-04-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

With the weather is is hard to do repairs outside, let do repairs under a van.

Does anyone know a garage or company who would let me use their lift, so I can do some work on the underside of my car? I have to replace parts of the air suspension and the front tires. I have all the parts and the tools, but no place to do the work!

As I have a van, there must be enough space to lift the car.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

With insurance costs and the claim culture we have here? Not a chance, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

My next door neighbour did. If i didn't know him really well he wouldn't let me near it.

Compo culture and the risk that you can drop a van on yourself if you do something very very silly. Trust me it can be done

My advice to you is go get some rams or axle stands and make sure you jack it up safely. (if you dont know find a mechanic to show you)

As im terrified even with axle stands i use big cavity blocks as backup when i was in Dublin and not at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harpijen

Hi,

I am not worried about doing the repairs myself. I have done all the repairs on my cars myself for the last 20 years.
    I have renovated engines and cars. but I have always had a garage to my usage and at this moment I have none.

What I am looking for is a garage where I can do the work I want to do. I'll bring my own tools and parts.

To be able to work on the suspension, a lift would make life easier as lying in the dirt on a parking.

Advertisement