Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions in Ireland

Options
  • 19-04-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

I'm new to politics and currently reading about the history
    of unions in Ireland, and am a bit confused.

What do each of the unions represent?

What are their typical positions on issues?

How well do the unions of Ireland relate to each other?

Is the union philosophy still relevant in this day and age?

Thanks.

Comments

Their members

They support whatever is in the best interest of their members

Pretty well

Relevant to the benificaries, not so relevant to everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'll add that, while I'm a union supporter, they need to cop on. They need to recognise that many of their actions are undermining various public goods such as public transport. That flies in violation of the universalist, internationalist solidarity principle at the heart of the TU movement. Instead of acting responsibly in a way that breeds public support for the movement, they're acting more inaccordance with the principles of private sector lobby groups - me first, feck everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

DadaKopf wrote: »
    I'll add that, while I'm a union supporter, they need to cop on. They need to recognise that many of their actions are undermining various public goods such as public transport. That flies in violation of the universalist, internationalist solidarity principle at the heart of the TU movement. Instead of acting responsibly in a way that breeds public support for the movement, they're acting more inaccordance with the principles of private sector lobby groups - me first, feck everyone else.

i agree, i am pro union but some how i feel dishearten to see the unions of the south act more like mason groups rather than defenders of socail justice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I'm new to politics and currently reading about the history
    of unions in Ireland, and am a bit confused.

What do each of the unions represent?

What are their typical positions on issues?

How well do the unions of Ireland relate to each other?

Is the union philosophy still relevant in this day and age?

Thanks.

I was a union member and I am not sure what they stand for.

The only contact I had with the Union was them taking Union dues form me every week.

Advertisement