Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave langan Testimonial,he deserves it.

• 19-04-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted before, got it from an Oxford Fan.

An Irish fanzine has started a campaign to try to persuade the Football Association of Ireland to hold a testimonial for former Oxford United fullback Dave Langan.

The finest right back ever to have played for Oxford United, Langan was hugely popular in his time at the Manor Ground from 1984-1988.

A member of their Milk Cup-winning side in 1986, he also played a big part in United winning the Second Division Championship under Jim Smith, his right-wing crosses leading to a majority of the goals that season.

Now 51, Dave has constant crippling back and knee pain as a result of his playing career, and is a registered disabled living on benefit in a house in Peterborough.

He was capped 26 times by his country, one past the 25 required at the time for a testimonial, but the FAI have since increased the determinant to 50 caps, and then later to 75 caps.

An online petition for a testimonial for Langan, to enable him to walk without pain again by getting new knees, was set up by the fanzine You Boys in Green last Saturday. It has received a fantastic response. It has already attracted more than 200 signatures.

The petition can be accessed on
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/testimonialfordavelangan/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

In my opinion Lagan doesnt deserve a testimonal.

I have been hearing about this for a couple of years now. It was very unfortunate what happened to him but just because he is a cripple doesnt mean he should get a testimonal.

If anyone can come up an agrument other then being a cripple for a testimonal I'd like to hear it.
    As an example Ronnie Whelan got 53 caps for ROI, when the limit was 50 no one is calling for him to get a testimonal.

Why havent his previous clubs organisied a testimonal for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DaveH wrote: »
    In my opinion Lagan doesnt deserve a testimonal.

I have been hearing about this for a couple of years now. It was very unfortunate what happened to him but just because he is a cripple doesnt mean he should get a testimonal.

I agree. **** him

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh come on, what harm is a testimonial? Every single opp to get an Irish team together and playing off each other is a plus tbh.

We had a 50 cap limit for playing for Ireland at one point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This idea has knocking around for 10 years at least to my knowledge.

I think it is a non-starter, mainly becasue I doubt most footy fans under the age of 30 even know who Dave Langan is - or certainly wouldn't have ever seen him play.

He was there for the dark days and near misses of the 80's and even played for Big Jack in our Euro 88 qualifiers for us but never got to play in the finals themselves. If he had played at Euro 88 he'd have been a household name now and probably sorted, but the timing of his career was unfortunate to say the least.

(BTW, I believe it was Langan who encouraged Houghton and Aldridge to play for us, so that's another thing we owe him.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Oxford should organise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Kildare County have organised him a testimonial and Gala dinner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement