Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

15000 Euro.... what to get?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi there, im looking for some advice as to what car to get and looking for some suggestions. Ill be using it for work and therefore will do a reasonable amount of mileage so looking for a 1.4l or better, preferably a 1.4 as iv only recently started driving and have been using a 1.0l polo. Id be looking to trade my polo in so would like to base suggestions on garage prices if possible. Any suggestions will be appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Hatch or saloon?
    Are you concerned about the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't bother with a 1.4, unlikely to be a lot quicker than a 1.0 Polo(quite possibly the slowest car in the world), get at least a 1.6 if you're going for something Golf sized.

If it must be a 1.4 then get say a Fiesta or a Corsa or similar.

If you're going to do doing a fair few miles you'll be damm glad of the extra power of a bigger engine. What about a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Im open to both Hatchback and saloons. Looking for something around the 05 range, been looking at a 05 Astra 1.4 (15k) and also a 05 Golf 1.4 but the golfs are a bit too $$. I saw a 05 Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v today for about the 15k. Seemed like a decent car and have never heard too many complaints about skodas,..Saying that though i preferred the look of the astra for some reason, then again a golf is the nicest of the three..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

E92 wrote: »
    Don't bother with a 1.4, unlikely to be a lot quicker than a 1.0 Polo(quite possibly the slowest car in the world), get at least a 1.6 if you're going for something Golf sized.

If it must be a 1.4 then get say a Fiesta or a Corsa or similar.

If you're going to do doing a fair few miles you'll be damm glad of the extra power of a bigger engine. What about a diesel?
    Havent considered a diesel yet, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Seat Ibiza 1.4 sport 3dr(100 bhp) version apprx €16,950. 5dr model apprx €17,300.Forecourt prices,brand new.Trade in should get you towards your cash target.
    Plenty of second hand doing the rounds to.

Plenty of poke when needed,have one myself so know what they go like. You'd notice the difference straight away compared with the 1L polo. Stay clear of the 70bhp version.Shouldn't be too bad on the insurance side of things.

Happy shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

go for an astra if you like them. they look very good and i think there very comfortable. try not to get the life they lack the colour door handles and a few other things. get the club if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Ford Focus, lots of good examples at 15K

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/Zetec/998697/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Going for a Golf soon myself, tradin from a Polo :o... As for ur insurance worries, from what can find form Quinn, the 1.9 diesel is about 200 more than the 1.4 petrol... I do a nice bit of mileage so i'll prob go for a diesel... I'm biased on Volkswagens but a Leon wouldn't be too bad:rolleyes:

Advertisement