Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why do we have such shyte drivers.?!

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Been out and about last few days and the amount of shoddy driving and non existent use of indicators is mindboggling.

One of the things you need to do in order to pass a driving test is show some confidence and self assurance, I mean to drive along nice and briskly and not be dawdling along.

I have seen countless cases where drivers are reluctant to pass out HGVs Tractors, Mopeds whatever.

what benefit does one gain from staying behind a 30mph 30tonne dump truck?

I could probably, upon some research classify these particular drivers into a socio-economic group and what class of car they drive, but Im sure alot of people here could do likewise!:rolleyes:

Another thing which pisses me off totally is people who stall or come to a complete stop at a roundabout when its blinding obvious that there is no traffic on it..

I look at traffic on a roundabout before I enter it and size up the situation, if there is nothing coming and its quite, I just ease through it. drives me nuts, more %hitty drivers!

the same drivers who stall at roundabouts probably also come to a complete stop behind a car on a main road which is say indicating right, instead of looking at their mirror, indicating left and passing on the outside...

all these things im sure are an everyday occurance in Ireland and make driving a nightmare.

I saw a girl in limerick on the N7 to dublin, main road, 06 ford fiesta pulling into a petrol station. busy traffic. any indicator..? pfttttt. not a chance.

very $hitty drivers out there is the cause of alot of accidents here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

People don't know how to drive around roundabouts.................that's my gripe :mad::mad: left lane turning right!(unless road marking allow it)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Scottie99 wrote: »
    People don't know how to drive around roundabouts.................that's my gripe :mad::mad: left lane turning right!(unless road marking allow it)

Experienced that once in 14 years of driving in Holland (and the Dutch are crap drivers, believe me).
    Here this same thing happens to me at least once a week. It is so bad i already expect some dope to do exactly what you mention.

But what can you expect in a country where you fail your drivers exam, get in your car and go home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lack of enforcement. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Although of the things you mention I would agree on most except stalling, it would be one I never see.

Unless you happen to get behind a driving school car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what pisses me off most about roundabouts is dickheads in the left lane that are going straight throw who drive straight through the right lane instead of driving around in the left lane.

Annoys me so much and its so unbelievably common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So of my problems on the road.

People not using bus lanes after hours....

Taxi drivers full stop..

People who dont understand that a bus coming out after picking people up from a stop has complete right of way and you must stop.

People not going by road markings, EG a lane for turning right used by impatient people to go straight threw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Holsten

you are in lucan? get your ass down to kerry and munster and see the carry on at roundies...:eek:

actually, seen one person stall at a roundie in citywest, it was empty and they came to a complete halt, i nearly rear ended it.

we were both going on the 3rd exit and I honked the fcuker for a good 10 seconds I think.

very poor drivers all across the land.

the ones who refuse to pass out slow moving trucks and whatnot really are not fit for the road. they lead to massive tail backs and people taking risky manouvers to pass out said truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

msg11 wrote: »
    ...People who dont understand that a bus coming out after picking people up from a stop has complete right of way and you must stop. ....

Where does it say that. All I can find is...
    You should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic after they let passengers on and off

Most buses pull out without indicating or indicate just as they move. You get no forewarning of it. You just have to give them a wide berth at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

legs11 wrote: »
    why do we have such shyte drivers.?!
    Maybe because you are allowed out on the roads with no prior driving training after just taking 40 simple questions on a computer? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

msg11 wrote: »
    So of my problems on the road.

People who dont understand that a bus coming out after picking people up from a stop has complete right of way and you must stop.

Haven't seen that Bus rule in the rules of the road, but I do let buses pull off.
    I find it annoying the way some bus drivers pull off just as you move over to pass them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

BostonB wrote: »
    Most buses pull out without indicating or indicate just as they move. You get no forewarning of it. You just have to give them a wide berth at all times.
    It's a matter of common sense that a bus will probably pull out. When I approach one, I always look up the inside to see how many passengers are embarking. If none, I prepare to allow the bus to pull out.

I've seen situations where buses, even while indicating, are prevented from pulling out by long lines of drivers who just keep passing. In some situations, the overtaking regulations could be applied to forbid this as while you're obliged to give way to moving traffic when starting to move, the overtaking regulations do forbid any manouevre which causes inconvenience to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Seriously, try out some of the African or Middle East countries for piss poor driving.

From what I can gather thus far, cops in Tehran on the road are there for when accidents happen rather than to enforce rules of the road [of which I dont think there are any]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

kaimera wrote: »
    Seriously, try out some of the African or Middle East countries for piss poor driving.

From what I can gather thus far, cops in Tehran on the road are there for when accidents happen rather than to enforce rules of the road [of which I dont think there are any]

+1. It is all relative.
    Simply, too many cars, not enough space.
    Statistically your bound to meet a few idiots.

caoibhin wrote: »
    Simply, too many cars, not enough space.
    Statistically your bound to meet a few idiots.
    There's plenty of space, but it's not being used efficiently.

The true meaning of 'idiot' can be found in the Greek, it defines a type of person who is selfish and ignores the general good. And, yes, there are many people like that on the roads. They're not stupid, they just don't care.

There's plenty of space, but it's not being used efficiently.

The true meaning of 'idiot' can be found in the Greek, it defines a type of person who is selfish and ignores the general good. And, yes, there are many people like that on the roads. They're not stupid, they just don't care.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with caoibhin on this one. There is not plenty of space on Irish roads. Maybe you have plenty of space for roads but they aren't built out. Take the road to Blanch when you go via finglas. Bus route 40d goes that way. For over 4 years there was at least on accident per week on that road..
    Dont get me wrong here... I really like Ireland (otherwise I wouldnt have stayed for 4 years) but the road system is terrible, and the state of most of the roads are also terrible.
    Dublin for example, have grown to fast the last 10 years.. built loads and loads of business parks, new homes etc.. but no one thought about building proper roads to all the new areas. The M50 is probably EUs largest car park..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have seen countless cases where drivers are reluctant to pass out HGVs Tractors, Mopeds whatever.
    For comparison purposes, watch the freeway scene on the DVD "Matrix: Reloaded.";)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

ShayK1 wrote: »
    what pisses me off most about roundabouts is dickheads in the left lane that are going straight throw who drive straight through the right lane instead of driving around in the left lane.

Annoys me so much and its so unbelievably common.

That is pretty much my single biggest grip with driving here, I rarely go into a roundabout parallel to the car beside me for that reason, I either floor it or hold back and beep them out of it after they kriss cross their way through the lanes.

Usually followed by a look of what the FU@k is your problem from the offending motorist, as they have no Idea what they just did!

cutepape wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with caoibhin on this one. There is not plenty of space on Irish roads.
    You need to think outside of the box. Eficient use of existing resources is the way to go.

Cars are too big and occupy too much space relative to the often single occupants they carry. People's unrealistic expectations of comfort and speed need to change. We also need to stop subsidiing people who choose to live so far from their work and public transport so that they can have bigger houses.

But to bring this back on topic, we have shyte drivers because of a lapse in community standards and a general 'f-you' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why are Irish driving standards so poor ...because no one ever raised the bar:

The typical Irish drivers career starts with answering a few multiple choice questions and handing over money for a "provisional licence"

It continues through driving lessons by an "instructor" who doesn't even need a licence.

Driving "lessons" are taken along a pre-determined test route until said route has ben "learned"

The "test" then considers of driving the "learned" route in the presence of a third party who is under pressure to let you "pass" in order to reduce the queue.

With the newly acquired "licence" the new driver then joins a gaggle of equally inept "drivers" in the daily chaos that is called traffic.

Any and all sensible driving practices that may have accidentally found their way into the "drivers" repertoire are now quickly eroded against the wall of idiocy and general ineptitude that is Irish traffic.

Driving rules and best driving practices (if ever learned at all) don't get you anywhere and are quickly adapted to whatever the driver thinks works best in any given situation.

The official rules of the road are then superseeded by the guerrilla code of Irish driving: "Each to their own and how dare you criticise me for I'm a better driver than you"

This code is strongly re-inforced by so called "law enforcement" that only enforces those laws that are easiest to control. The fact that most of the law enforcement personell doesn't even have proper driver training themselves does not help the matter.

The icing on the cake then is the attitude of the governing bodies who can't see no fault of their own and firmly put the blame for this mess back into the lap of all the poorly trained drivers.

Would that be a fair summary of the matter? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

peasant wrote: »
    Would that be a fair summary of the matter? :D

I think that's fairly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Been out and about last few days and the amount of shoddy driving and non existent use of indicators is mindboggling.

One of the things you need to do in order to pass a driving test is show some confidence and self assurance, I mean to drive along nice and briskly and not be dawdling along.

what benefit does one gain from staying behind a 30mph 30tonne dump truck?

I could probably, upon some research classify these particular drivers into a socio-economic group and what class of car they drive, but Im sure alot of people here could do likewise!:rolleyes:

Another thing which pisses me off totally is people who stall or come to a complete stop at a roundabout when its blinding obvious that there is no traffic on it..

I look at traffic on a roundabout before I enter it and size up the situation, if there is nothing coming and its quite, I just ease through it. drives me nuts, more %hitty drivers!

the same drivers who stall at roundabouts probably also come to a complete stop behind a car on a main road which is say indicating right, instead of looking at their mirror, indicating left and passing on the outside...

all these things im sure are an everyday occurance in Ireland and make driving a nightmare.

I saw a girl in limerick on the N7 to dublin, main road, 06 ford fiesta pulling into a petrol station. busy traffic. any indicator..? pfttttt. not a chance.

very $hitty drivers out there is the cause of alot of accidents here.

Hi, I agree, with what you have said, but really the biggest problem is, Letting people drive without first taking a test!!! What other country do you know, that lets this happen!! I dont know any, its a complete joke over here! Needs changing and fast before more young lives are lost on our roads!! :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hi, I agree, with what you have said, but really the biggest problem is, Letting people drive without first taking a test!!! What other country do you know, that lets this happen!! I dont know any, its a complete joke over here! Needs changing and fast before more young lives are lost on our roads!! :eek:
    This is changing in the coming months!

kbannon wrote: »
    This is changing in the coming months!

Good!! about bloody time,, can you tell me more, would like to find out about it..
    I cant believe you can drive home after failing your test!! unbelievable!! and a car is a very dangerous machine in the wrong hands!! young drivers who havent taken a test, dont understand that!! God, I hope they do something about it soon, :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where were you last October when the L drivers were screaming.
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Statement_Issued_by_the_Department_of_Transport_28th_October.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I think part of the problem is allowing newly minted drivers behind the wheel of a car that they haven't the skill to drive.

When I started driving I spent the first three years behind the wheel of a 1ltr car. Too many people with piss poor driving skills get behind the wheel of a car that is far too powerful and if they don't kill themselves they cause accidents or kill others.

Riv

kbannon wrote: »
    Where were you last October when the L drivers were screaming.
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Statement_Issued_by_the_Department_of_Transport_28th_October.html

Missed that one!! Thanks, interesting.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

I think I can throw a few suggestions at this one.

I have noticed one thing in particular…Toyota have a sales pitch/slogan “The car in front is a Toyota”, well of course it f****n is! The only folks apart from people who know how to drive that buy these cars are the “Cabbage Heads” (men and women, mainly men, of the 50+ age group, who live in the sticks and im a bogger my self). And its always a 06 + reg Avensis or Corolla, Christ they love their Toyotas!
    “Oh, buts it so reliable and quick, sell it before it loses its value”

These “Cabbage Heads” more than likely bought their license’s 40 years ago for a fiver when roundabouts were non-existent and indicators were an optional extra. They drive around the place as if it were the ass and cart they taking into town.
    All drivers (young and old) on Irish roads should be re-tested every 5 -7 years, full stop. You don’t have to be a genius to figure this out. You wouldn’t take a 60 year old pilot from a prop plane and stick him into a jet without proper training.

Next categories are the “Carrier Crazies”! These are the folks (mainly 35 – 45 year old women) with them dreaded children carriers. They are generally away on another planet when out and about in the carrier, indicators don’t exist, wing mirrors don’t exist and god help you should you decide to let them know how bad their driving is. And their driving uniform of choice is usually pajamas!
    And the sweet baby Jesus help us all if their mobile phone should ring.

And at the end of the day, when there’s an accident, the poor soul always blamed is the confident driver, who was speeding.
    No, no, no, never the fault of the Cabbage head turning right without indicators as you over take. Or the carrier crazy who decided that stopping in the middle of a roundabout so people can run up her hole was a good idea.

F**k, the day the policy makers don’t fall into one or both of the above categories is the day these issues are looked at. “Cant see the wood for the trees” comes to mind.

One final group are the “Ditzy ****z”. Nearly always found in a mini cooper (new ones), these young men and women are truly fast asleep. The mobile is always attached to on side of their heads and they couldn’t give a flying f**k about other road users. Christ, they change lanes like daddy bought them the f****n road.
    Chances are they probably get off on fines and points because they are spoilt yuppie brats.

Agggahhhh, Irish drivers (minority, I think) give me a pain in my ring!

But to bring this back on topic, we have shyte drivers because of a lapse in community standards and a general 'f-you' attitude.

You have shyte drivers because almost 450'000 drivers are Learner drivers because they have taken a no brainer test with 40 questions and then they are allowed out on the roads with NO driving training what so ever... thats why!
    I just wonder when people are actually going to realize that most west European contries have a MUCH harder system to get your license and you are NOT allowed to go on the roads after sitting a simple test..

• Advertisement

We also need to stop subsidiing people who choose to live so far from their work and public transport so that they can have bigger houses.

Sorry for the double post..

Im not stuck inside of a box, I compare with what I am used to in traffic and infrastructure from the country Im from and moved back to now (yes I miss IRE, I made many friends over the last 4 years).

As for the quote above,
    Most people live outside because of the absurd real estate market in IRE. Why should I pay €1'800'000 for a 3bdrm house when I can get a similar 3bdrm outside the city for around €300'000?
    The real estate blooming over the years have forced people outside to actually be able to afford to live some where.
    Maybe the builders needs to be held responsible in this question together with the municipal they build in. WHY isnt the road or public transport made available to them from the start?
    Take the Luas as an example. Great thing actually for Dublin.. but why didnt they connect the 2 lines at connolly? Dart only run after the coast line, then its commuter train..
    Im just saying here... the government should really take help with city planners from outside to get them to think outside the box.

Advertisement