Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFCH - modern boiler efficiency

Options
  • 19-04-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

We live in a 30 odd yr old house. It has OFCH. last year we replaced the entire pipework and radiators (gunbarrel pipes...) The burner unit is 3-4 yrs old, the boiler itself is 30 yrs old. I fitted new baffles to the boiler when the plumbing job was being done.

Is there any benefit in replacing the boiler unit with a modern one?

Anyone have stats? recommend a brand? etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Oilrig wrote: »
    We live in a 30 odd yr old house. It has OFCH. last year we replaced the entire pipework and radiators (gunbarrel pipes...) The burner unit is 3-4 yrs old, the boiler itself is 30 yrs old. I fitted new baffles to the boiler when the plumbing job was being done.

Is there any benefit in replacing the boiler unit with a modern one?

Anyone have stats? recommend a brand? etc.

Thanks

What make is the boiler ? Most modern boilers are about 20% more economical than 30 year old ones. Condensing boilers even more so. Although the fact that you have a newer type burner does help. The Irish boilers are mostly good, Grant, Firebird and Warmflow.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Thanks James, what's a condensing boiler?

I'm just a bit alarmed that so much heat seems to go up the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Oilrig wrote: »
    Thanks James, what's a condensing boiler?

I'm just a bit alarmed that so much heat seems to go up the exhaust.

A lot less heat goes up the flue with a modern boiler especially a condensing one. See, Products at: http://www.grantengineering.ie/
    Jim.

Advertisement