Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF and SDLP

Options
  • 19-04-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

Read in the Irish Time today about how Brian Cowen met with the SDLP leader Mark Durkan, and in the article he says that FF is not looking for a merger with SDLP. Now i wasn't aware that their was any idea for mergers especially not on with a Northern Ireland party, so what's the deal with this, are their plans or ideas for mergers with the north and why? why would FF wanl to expand their party to the North if it did have these ideas. Now i know what you guys are thinking that i'm thinking, and i haven't really thought it would happen but would it actually be possible that FF is trying to reunite Ireland through a possible merger. What are your thoughts?

BTW He said that he wasn'y looking for a meger so i'm not saying that their are or were ideas nor am i coming to conclustions but just a question on my mind, that if what if they are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It's in both parties interests to limit SF, whether it be today or in a future united Ireland. A merger might make sense for both of them, today for SDLP, tomorrow for FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There's been rumors of some kind of arrangement or merger for a couple of years. With Fianna Fail aiming at organising in the North anyway, this could be one of the routes they take as oppossed to setting up there and going into direct competition with the SDLP.

Interestinly enough I was just on the Paddy Power website this morning and they are giving odds of 6-5 for an announcement of a FF-SDLP merger to happen in 2008!

On a seperate note, PP are also now giving odds of 3-1 for a No vote in the Lisbon referendum, last time I checked this a few weeks ago I think it was out at 6-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fianna Fáil has been a registered political party in Northern Ireland since last November. It is seeking individual members as the current structures don't facilitate ease of organisation, but as soon as enough individual members have been accepted by the party, the organisation will set roots in communities across Northern Ireland.

We are recruiting across all communities and have accepted at least one public figure who has defected from the UUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

clown bag wrote: »
    It's in both parties interests to limit SF, whether it be today or in a future united Ireland. A merger might make sense for both of them, today for SDLP, tomorrow for FF.

i agree, its to stop or stint SF growth. i think FF realise that when a UI comes about the north aint gonna have any FF repesentation and so for them to have any idea of achieving a majority in the Dail they need to either curt a party north of the border or est itself up there.

recently they set up its first party branch in the north.

although saying that the SDLP are split or could be fairly split on the idea. as alot dont like the idea of being sallowed up by the elephant from the south.

but if you ask mer again i think its mainly just to hedge their efforts to limit the rise of SF

Advertisement