Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800GTS problem.

Options
  • 19-04-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I bought an MSI 8800gts but when I installed it my PC refused to boot. The bios doesn't seem to load, or nothing appears on screen at least. I'm worried it may be a lack of power, since I only have a 400w PSU and am also running a core 2 duo 2.33ghz with 4gigs RAM. Should 400w be enough to run such a set up, and if not would the computer just outright refuse to boot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Whats the psu and what connectors are on it...

Is everything connected properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

This is the PSU I'm using: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=308622

The card has two 4 pin connectors, I've tried connecting both and just one but either way it fails to boot. If I start up with no power connected the system loads but the card makes a horrific high-pitched noise which I assume is its way of telling me it's not getting any power :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

dude the card doesn't have two four pin connectors it has one eight pin pci express2.0 connector. Four pin connectors are for the CPU. connect the six pin PCIexpress1.0 connector to the card and it will work(card is backwards compatable), assuming you havent damaged anything. Also i'm not sure if that particular 400w supply is great for that setup. think it lack amps on the 12v rail. it will run it for a while but will possibly die.

also what model is the card is it 320mb 640mb or 512mb? if it has 8pin power i'm guessing it's the 512.

Which 8800gts do you have, 512mb?

512mb requires one 6-pin connector

I have the 320mb card. I don't see any 6-pin connectors free on my psu :/

• Advertisement

Your psu might not have one, no fear..

Just use a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter ( which come with most new graphics card, should be in the graphics card box)

PCI%20Express%204%20pin%20to%206%20pin%20power%20adapter.jpg

...that's exactly what I'm using!

Psu might not be strong enough...

Do you have a friend with a good enough power supply, that is willing to let you try the card in their pc?

Most of my friends have laptops or macs (yes, I know). Should I just be connecting the two 4 pins to the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

By 4 pin you mean molex......
    Firstly, make sure the monitor cable is in the 1st port (should be the left one as you look down at the back of the pc and make sure the monitor cable is connected to the monitor. (ive made this mistake before!!!)

Secondly, use two different '4 pin'(molex) connectors (i.e. not on the same piece of wire) from 2 different cables coming from your psu....there should be 2 anyways.

• Advertisement

Untangled the cables and discovered the two molex connectors I was connecting to were actually connected to each other. Feck. The other molex connector seems to be in use for my dvd drive and I can't see any other free ones. What now?

Buy a really good PSU.
    Proper option:Anything above a 500w Corsair. Will set you back a bit but last for years!!
    Second option: look through adverts.ie for something 400W+ for any decent brands such as ocz, toughpower, corsair, thermaltake or point of view.

EDIT.....actually first list the entire spec of your pc, you might not have disabled your integrated gfx if you have any.

Hmm, my motherboard does have integrated graphics. It's a Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R. How would I disable the on board graphics? And is there any way of adding another molex connector to the PSU? Really want to avoid buying a new PSU just yet, if possible, don't have the money.

were you using the integrated before you put in the gfx card?

Refer to your manual, about turning it off.

Try use the one powering the dvd drive and see
    if that works too....im assuming its an overclocked version of the card and i minimum requirement is 26Amps on the 12V line so check if your psu can do that.

If your overclocking your core2duo, turn it back to defaults.

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=52&proid=198

+12v is only 18Amps....your prolly gonna break your PSU or something else if ya keep trying stuff!!

Advertisement