Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere different?!

• 20-04-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Ok so goin travellin in the new year i know ages away but lookin for suggestions!

I dont wana do the usual oz and us and canada thing, i want to see places that will leave me thinkin wow! India and africa are on my list at some stage of my travels! Plan is work to move on from place to place.
    Oh plannin on doin it alone to all my friends are settled in their jobs and lives! So on my owny own!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

South America!

The continent has everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have heard south america is amazing

parts of the US will leave you thinkin wow, just don't bother with the usual chicago, new york etc. Wyoming is amazing (teton and yellowstone) as is southern utah (zion, arches, bryce, canyonlands), northern arizona etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What about the Balkans: Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

My advice is Hong Kong. Its an amazing place. Also, you can easily vist mainland China and Macau from there. Great bargins there too.

oh, and the best thing is...no obvious signs of Irish people here at all (i mean none of the usual Gaa jerseys, and pasty white legs on show lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

The Middle East .... Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Iran etc etc

Iran is an amazing place and seriously cheap, 2 weeks there and I could barely manage to spend 300. Amazing sights and incredibly nice people.

Then head on into Africa.

Also agree with above about South America, place has everything (and seriously hot women :) )

Although getting jobs in these places would be difficult, maybe do a TEFL course and teach english.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Would agree with Iran- filthy cheap ( I spent 500 in a whole month ! )and some good things to see. Same with Syria, Jordan, Leb ( though not as cheap as Iran ). If you want to do something really different why not help deliver a yacht across the Atlantic from Europe to the Carribeen in Dec/Jan see where u end up then get to Cuba, Jamacia and from there to Central America giving u the choice to head north for US and Mexico or south for Guatemala, Honduras and the rest of South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Vietnam - Vung Tau & Ho Chi Minh .. you'll never forget it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Don't forget colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Gaz wrote: »
    Also agree with above about South America, place has everything (and seriously hot women :) )

Im a girl but thanks for the info!
    RATM wrote: »
    If you want to do something really different why not help deliver a yacht across the Atlantic from Europe to the Carribeen in Dec/Jan see where u end up then get to Cuba, Jamacia and from there to Central America giving u the choice to head north for US and Mexico or south for Guatemala, Honduras and the rest of South America.

How would I find out more about delivering the yacht?

Jemmy wrote: »
    Im a girl but thanks for the info!

How would I find out more about delivering the yacht?

A lot of Mediterranean based yachts head to the Caribeen for the cruising season over there which is Dec-May so some need help on board to sail them across the Atlantic.
    Take a look at the crew wanted sections of www.floatplan.com and www.7knots.com around October/Nov and you should find someone going that way.

Finally you can read my article on how to cross the Atlantic here
    http://www.therecord.ie/content/view/94/79/

Hope this helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't forget colombia.
    Heard its great for bird watching

Heard its great for bird watching

Yeah and because of those 3 IRA pillocks "bird watching" in Colombia Irish citizens now have to get a pre-arranged visa and pay 50 euro as well as waiting around 5 working days for the visa to be issued. Thanks lads, I hope the terrorist training was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

RATM wrote: »
    Yeah and because of those 3 IRA pillocks "bird watching" in Colombia Irish citizens now have to get a pre-arranged visa and pay 50 euro as well as waiting around 5 working days for the visa to be issued. Thanks lads, I hope the terrorist training was worth it.

:confused:Ok im lost what?

Oh and thanks for that RATM:D

There was 3 IRA lads out in Colombia training local FARC terrorists a few years back. They got caught by the Colombian govt and were awaiting trial. They claimed they were in Colombia for "bird watching" as they were caught with binoculars in their hands.In the end they decided to skip bail and did a bunk, they surfaced back in Ireland a few months later. As a result all Irish ppl had to pay 50 euro for a visa to enter Colombia and got treated like terrorists whereas the rest of Europe just walked in for free.

To get a visa to Colombia I had to go to the embassy in Caracas and do an interview with a Colombian diplomat who wanted employers references, proof of funds as well as asking all kinds of personal questions.Then I had to wait 5 working days in Caracas which is a kip of a city and finally they issued a visa for a payment of 50 quid. My english mate was laughing his head off at all this fuss which was created by those 3 IRA pillocks.I was far from happy as you can imagine:(

Still though it was worth it, Colombia's a cool place:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Irish people no longer need a visa for Colombia , i crossed over from Ecuador and it took less than 5min to get stamped in. Great country, lots to see and do ... Cartagena being a favourite !

Thats good to hear, Im going to chase those 3 IRA muppets for the 50 euro they owe me:D

Advertisement