Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca vs. Man Utd (first leg)

• 20-04-2008 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Barca with huge injury problems. Messi and Deco just returning to fitness. Ronaldinho out injuried. Iniesta struggling. Puyol suspended.
    Probably isn't a better time to play Barca.

People seem to be thinking United are going to win somewhat easily, I think it'll be a really tight tie. This leg I think it'll be a score draw.

Barca vs. Man Utd 114 votes

Man Utd
    0% 0 votes
    Barca
    13% 15 votes
    Draw
    31% 36 votes
    Man Utd (Utd fans)
    31% 36 votes
    Barca (Barca fans)
    23% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am am pretty certain that United will progress to the finals purely because they can defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ronaldinho missing is actually a good thing for Barca. Deco possibly not playing is ditto. Messi was only given 45 minutes tonight. He looked well sharp.

Barcas back 4 will most likely be

Silvinho.....Milito....Marquez....Zambrotta

Hard to call. Centre halves have been very hot and cold this season.

Barca Midfield three

Yaya....Xavi...Iniesta

Barca 3 strikers/2 wingers, 1 striker

Henry.....Messi.....Eto'o

I know I am leaving out Bojan, but for a game this big, it needs experienced players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it will be a great game with plenty of chances. I'd like to see United take a lead to OT but I reckon it might end a draw in the end. Maybe 1-1.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm hoping for a score draw and to take em back to Old Trafford and win it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I could see barca winning 1-0 at home.

Why isn't the poll public like the other one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I forgot to click it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sucks to be you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Im loving 'Barca- Barca fans', as if there's plenty of them on this forum... You may aswell have wrote 'Barca- Barca fan'... And Im quite drunk, so Im going for a barca win for some stupidly odd reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do I count as a Barca fan? I'm certainly not a neutral in this tie!

Xavi my good man, lets root for the mighty Blaugrana! :D

Ves-te'n a prendre pel cul Manchester, maricon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not sure about the leg itself but it's hard to look past Utd for the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote: »

People seem to be thinking United are going to win somewhat easily, I think it'll be a really tight tie. This leg I think it'll be a score draw.

Yeah I don't think you can underestimate them, they've got too much attacking talent and form doesn't (always) matter, it's a two-leg knockout after all...although I didn't know Puyol was out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think over the two legs Utd will shade it, The second leg been in OT is vital.
    The First leg will be very close maybe even 1-0 to Barca , a result we can over turn in the second leg, but I am hoping for a score draw. But it will rest will the team and format Utd put out in the first leg. If we show no fear and start with 4-4-2 I think we could even win it but with Fergie's team selection History in Europe I can hardly see a starting format of 4-4-2 (only thing giving me hope is Fergie interview after Roma game where he said it's time to go for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1-1 draw imo....and then a 2-2 draw at OT sending us out....that was my dream last night unfortunatly.....bit of a cold sweat on me when i woke up this morning!!!!

if we go out and attack Barca aggressively we will win....i dont think it will happen in the first leg though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im a Barca fan in that Ill keep half an eye out for results and news, watch a few games on the barstool and try to get to a match a couple of times a year. Couldnt get a ticket for the Barca Madrid game when I was over for Christmas, glad I didnt bother going to a tout.

Not sure about the semi, I think United will win as theyre more organised as a team, better defensively and a better team spirit. Really hope Barca hammer them tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eZe^ wrote: »
    Im loving 'Barca- Barca fans', as if there's plenty of them on this forum... You may aswell have wrote 'Barca- Barca fan'... And Im quite drunk, so Im going for a barca win for some stupidly odd reason.

I'm a Barca fan and if they beat Man United, I'd be terribly disappointed if they didn't win the cup.

Admittingly, United are the team I have supported all my life mainly because I was not exposed to anything Barcelona related...the Barca support strongly began when Davids signed...then grew when they signed Ronaldinho...

And now are easily my second favorite team in Europe...they can beat United if they want to. It just depends who shows up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hard to call. Either a score draw or a narrow Barca win with United bagging an away goal or two. United to progress on virtue of away goals rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

cheesedude wrote: »
    Admittingly, United are the team I have supported all my life mainly because I was not exposed to anything Barcelona related...the Barca support strongly began when Davids signed...then grew when they signed Ronaldinho...

Ronaldinho signed before Davids......

Yaya was sooooooo solid last night, put on a fantastic defensive display and showed why he is in the top 5 DMF's in the world. He'll be vital in the coming years and especially against United, his physique will be needed to hassle the ball from the Carricks, Scholes, Andersons. Messi came on and did change the game, he sets up as many opportunities as he takes which means he is the heartbeat of the attack atm, Iniesta is so quick off the line, he has the fantastic passing ability of Xavi, but the quick acceleration and dribbling of Messi. He's definitely my favourite Barca player atm. I dont like that Thuram was rested completely, it means that he'll probably start against United, and hes seriously our worst CB. Marquez and Milito HAVE to start together, that was the partnership at the first 1/2 of the season that gave Barca one of the best defensive records in Europe. Sylvinho proved he is a better attacker than Abidal, but he is a bit more deficient compared to Abidal, so with C. Ronaldo invovled, it would be safer to play Abidal imo.

The line up should be;

VV
    --Zambo
    Marquez
    Milito
    Abidal--

Toure

Xavi
    Deco

----Messi
    Etoo
    Iniesta

You don't think Henry will play? I really think if Barca have any sense they'll target our right flank to attack, just like I think if we've any sense, we'll target your left flank to attack.

• Advertisement

Its not that Henry shouldn't play, its that other players should be picked ahead of him, if that makes sense. Iniesta is vital to our attack, and has proved he can play as a CM, AM or SS. Deco imo could be vital, he is the engine in midfield, and along with Yaya could be the physical element of the midfield, and with Xavi's passing ability, thats what we'll need if we want to dominate the midfield area. Deco offers something other midfielders don't, he defends and likes being a box to box player on occasion too. Henry and Bojan can easily be brought on to change the game. I also thing when we travel to OT, if we have a lead, we should play with 2 DMF's, Xavi and the same front 3. That way we will be more solid in midfield, but wont sacrifice too much passing quality.

No I understand why you think he shouldn't play, I'd agree, but just wondering if you think he won't play.

Oh, Im 100% sure pothead Frank will pick;

VV

--Zambo
    Thuram----Milito
    Abidal---

Toure

Xavi
    Iniesta

---Messi
    Etoo
    Henry----

I would put 50 euro on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

hopefully Fergie will go for the jugular in the first leg - would love to see Anderson and Tevez start so as to lot let Barca settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

kida wrote: »
    hopefully Fergie will go for the jugular in the first leg - would love to see Anderson and Tevez start so as to lot let Barca settle.

Ye good luck with that one. :rolleyes: I am suprised so many people think Barca will win this one.

Sorry I got it all mixed up there! I meant that!

If United really go at them like they can, they should advance. As we seen though, AF likes to **** around in Europe and make it as complicated as possible.

Sorry I got it all mixed up there! I meant that!

You sorta liked them after signing Ronaldinho and then really really liked them after signing Davids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

of the 3 teams in the semi's, Barcelona are the team i fear the most.

Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Eto'o, Henry, Bojan, Ronaldinho....just an awesome line up of players.

Their form this season has not been great - they are beatable, but I don't doubt they can raise their game for the Champions League. It will be a very, very tough game for United, but it is the type of CL game i have been waiting for - it should be EPIC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

eZe^ wrote: »

The line up should be;

VV
    --Zambo
    Marquez
    Milito
    Abidal--

Toure

Xavi
    Deco

----Messi
    Etoo
    Iniesta

Wow, that's a cracking team (on paper). I've seen your later post you reckon pothead won't play Deco. Is Deco "injured" the same way as Ronnie or is there a chance that he might play?

Really looking forward to this game, even though I'll be more anxious watching the Pool game (pool fan) this one has the makings of a classic.

With a potential line-up like that, with 8 or 9 world-class players, it's really damning of Rijkaard that Barca are doing so poorly in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

makes me wonder how big teams like united and liverpool have standard players like Brown and Squirtle squirtle in their defences

Compared to United's other back 3, every other defender on the pitch is standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

PHB wrote: »
    Compared to United's other back 3, every other defender on the pitch is standard.

United's team is also brilliant. Yeah I got a bit carried away with 8 or 9 world class players, but there's nobody in the Barca line-up who I wouldn't happily take in the Pool squad.

edit: And Brown has been very good this year - clearly not the same class as the other 3 but as the chink in your armour he's not weak at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Word is Henry has been hit by a virus. Good news I think, football has a way of being romantic and all that, it would be just like him to have a stormer.

They have training tommorow evening at 7 gmt, so it should be a bit clearer who there personal will be.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Wow, that's a cracking team (on paper). I've seen your later post you reckon pothead won't play Deco. Is Deco "injured" the same way as Ronnie or is there a chance that he might play?

Really looking forward to this game, even though I'll be more anxious watching the Pool game (pool fan) this one has the makings of a classic.

With a potential line-up like that, with 8 or 9 world-class players, it's really damning of Rijkaard that Barca are doing so poorly in La Liga.

Well, initially I thought he was resting Thuram and Deco because he planned on starting them Wednesday, but after a little pondering, I reckon he gave Marquez a run out so he could stretch his legs in a live environment as he plans on starting him Wednesday. Deco hasn't played a game for Barca in months now, so it would be a risk to start him with no game time, although Ive already outlined that he can bring something to the table that our other midfielders cannot.

Henry may miss the first match, which is a shame, but I really want Frank to play Iniesta on the left, he could definitely terrorize the Utd defense more than Bojan as he is more of a central striker, and shouldn't be risked to start at such a young age, to much pressure on the star. The problem is, Barca's defence on paper is as good a Utd's but its just been so atrociously **** this season that it could be our undoing.

It'll be a little bit of magic from Iniesta or Rooney, or a defensive slip by Abidal or Brown that'll decide the outcome of the tie imo, I just hope Barca dont self destruct, they need to start believing they can do it.

2007/08 Champions League

Manchester United
    Played: 10
    Won: 8
    Drawn 2
    Lost 0
    Scored: 18
    Conceded: 5

Barcelona
    Played: 10
    Won: 8
    Drawn 2
    Lost 0
    Scored: 18
    Conceded: 5

''This says it all for me. Ignore Barcelona's form in La Liga. In the Champions League this season they are exactly identical to us. This match is gonna be so much harder than some are thinking. Somethings gotta give and I hope its us who gets pasts them''

A post I read from a Man U fan who doesn't quite hold the same amount of optimism as 99% of England atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm not confident at all but we have given ourselves the best chance we could by having a fully fit squad(hopefully)

United to win 2 - 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm not confident at all but we have given ourselves the best chance we could by having a fully fit squad(hopefully)

Plus United are a better team as a whole, the second leg is at home, Barcelona have proved to be dreadful travellers, if you believe half the news they are a team with a lot of inhouse fighting, etc etc.

That said, Messi could score a hat trick in 12 minutes. Barcelona's home defensive record is actually quite good. United are perinial under achievers in Europe, etc etc

There is so much going for both teams and alot against.

I think whoever gets through will earn it thou, I just can't call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If United really go at them like they can, they should advance. As we seen though, AF likes to **** around in Europe and make it as complicated as possible.

Yes,it all depends on United's attitude in the Camp Nou.
    If they approach the game positively then they will have a good chance but if they are negative like they have been in the vast majority of their away games over the last few years then I see serious trouble for them.
    United away from home in the Champions league are very suspect and they will not have faced as dangerous an attack before .
    Lyon and Roma were both pretty toothless something that cannot be said of Barca.
    Its a pity both these teams have to meet at the semi final stage,it would have been the purists ideal final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i am sure fergie knows that Barca will be much more likely to score then Roma or Lyon were so i can see him sending out a team that is told to attack whenever possible tbh....if we defend brilliantly for 89 minutes but fail to score then Barca break the defense with a moment of magic it will all have been for nothing, an away goal is vital so i am sure we will be set out looking for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

In Europe we've nearly always been able to outscore teams but because we were always likely to concede it left little margin for error. Similar to how Barcelona are lately actually - always likely to score but always likely to concede if you get at them. This year our defense is playing brilliantly which makes the margin a lot bigger. I think this is our biggest advantage over Barcelona. I see this being a score draw and hopefully should give us the advantage to take to Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

United will be able to catch Barca out on the counter attack if Uniteds attacking players perform. Depends which Barca turns up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

''This says it all for me. Ignore Barcelona's form in La Liga. In the Champions League this season they are exactly identical to us. This match is gonna be so much harder than some are thinking. Somethings gotta give and I hope its us who gets pasts them''

I think that is slightly misleading. Man Utd have played better sides than Barca in this years competition. Even looking at the knock outs, Man Utd beat Lyon and Roma, Barca beat Celtic and Schalke. IMO, Lyon and Roma are both better than who Barca beat.

I really hope Barca can do this. No doubting the talent there, not to mention a second trophyless season beckons. If those players have any heart, they will turn up tomorrow night and show man U who is boss.

Mes Que Un Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I see Hargreaves is being touted as a man marker for Messi :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sizzler wrote: »
    I see Hargreaves is being touted as a man marker for Messi :eek:

A defensive midfielder man marking barca's best attacking player?

Where do the media come up with it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Prufrock wrote: »
    Depends which Barca turns up though.
    This sums it up for me. Barca seem defensively frail and generally out of sorts but are more than capable of conjuring something up.

I think the key thing here to remember is that it's a two-legged affair. Can Barca be trusted not to screw up at least once over the two games? As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

lads, regarding a few of ye saying barcelona are defensivly frail, they have teh second best defence in la liga, only madrid have conceded less

also, according to uefa.com they have conceeded just 5 goals this year, level with united and bettered only by chelsea.

its not as if they leak goals by the bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Really looking forward to the game now, think the two games are going to be fantastic. I think (hope) Utd will just about edge it. Had a dream last night that Rio scored and we won 2-0 in the Camp Nou, you heard it hear first! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

event wrote: »
    lads, regarding a few of ye saying barcelona are defensivly frail, they have teh second best defence in la liga, only madrid have conceded less

also, according to uefa.com they have conceeded just 5 goals this year, level with united and bettered only by chelsea.

its not as if they leak goals by the bucket

But tbh the La Liga hasn't exactly set an example of being a defensively solid league has it :pac:

Smegball wrote: »
    But tbh the La Liga hasn't exactly set an example of being a defensively solid league has it :pac:

Any time Ive watched barce this year Ive seen a calamity of errors at the back tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement