Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca vs. Man Utd (first leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    and Evra gave away a penalty that wasn't given either, so we'll say it was 3-1.)

and ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

cheesedude wrote: »
    There just bitter old jealous farts.

Every player in the world gets annoyed at their team mates, throws their hands up again, gets annoyed and moans now and again...

But because Ronaldo does it, he's a disgrace to professional football? It's bull****.

Then comparing him to a ****ing pro golfer? Since when do Pro golfers get misplaced balls from their team mates causing them to get frustrated.

Does every player in the world throw himself around like a twat and sulk like a child with their hands on their hips.

Jealous old farts, Alcoholics ......... what else do you want to call them to distract from the discussion, seriously grow up.

On another note Eto at least showed some honesty in not diving after been tackled by Ferdinand, sure peno if he went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Ronaldo didn't have a good game by any stretch of the imagination. And certainly his "attitude" wasn't what you would want as a fan or a neutral. If its not "the Ronaldo show featuring Man Utd", he's not happy.
    Either way, he may make everyone eat their words next Tuesday.

Yes he might get a goal, but he wont make shreds of team like you would think listening to the ****e in the media. He wants to be a Ronaldinho with all the skill and fancy tricks but he just gives the ball away when he tries that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Im sorry, you are all talking absolute bull****, no question about it.

Ronaldo played up front on his own, got no service, yet still managed to win three penalties, despite only one being given.

He created three penalties.
    The first one was his header.
    The second one was the most questionable of it, but Marquez came across, led with his hand, and didn't get the ball. Penalty.
    The third was was a dead cert foul on him on the right side of the box, the tackler got nowhere near the ball, and fouled Ronaldo.

If this is Ronaldo playing ****, I hope he plays **** for the rest of his ****ing life. If that match was at Old Trafford, he would have had three penalties. To say he played poorly is just stupid, no other words for it. Created 3 penalties. Played up front on his own no service.

Yes he missed one, but he would have scored at least one of the other two, probably both.
    (p.s. before anyone says it, I know Ferdinand defo gave away a penalty, but Eto stayed up (an honest player, amazing) and Evra gave away a penalty that wasn't given either, so we'll say it was 3-1.)
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Im sorry, you are all talking absolute bull****, no question about it.

Ronaldo played up front on his own, got no service, yet still managed to win three penalties, despite only one being given.

He created three penalties.
    The first one was his header.
    The second one was the most questionable of it, but Marquez came across, led with his hand, and didn't get the ball. Penalty.
    The third was was a dead cert foul on him on the right side of the box, the tackler got nowhere near the ball, and fouled Ronaldo.

If this is Ronaldo playing ****, I hope he plays **** for the rest of his ****ing life. If that match was at Old Trafford, he would have had three penalties. To say he played poorly is just stupid, no other words for it. Created 3 penalties. Played up front on his own no service.

Yes he missed one, but he would have scored at least one of the other two, probably both.
    (p.s. before anyone says it, I know Ferdinand defo gave away a penalty, but Eto stayed up (an honest player, amazing) and Evra gave away a penalty that wasn't given either, so we'll say it was 3-1.)

United fan very much? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why are Sky making out that it was an excellent performance from Utd?

because in some ways it was.

Ferguson had a simple plan, soak up everything barca threw at them and then hit them on the break. Unfortunately the squad were on their way out the door before he finished the teamtalk so they didn't hear the second part!

What was good about tonight was the disicpline and defending, barca didn't have any real clearcut chances which is impressive in itself, regardless of how poor they are perceived to be at the back they are always incredibly dangerous going forward.

If that had been matched with a real couter attacking thrust we might have had a better result tonight, but everytime the ball broke out and the ball was picked up in barcas half the rest of the team were far too slow to get forward and provide support.

I think the biggest united problem was ronaldo and rooney in the wrong positions. I don't think Ronaldo deserves any of the criticism thrown at him, with the exception of his insistence on throwing himself on the ground at every opportunity.

This was a good result for united, and only a botched penalty stopped it being a great result. I've no doubt both teams will play differently next week, and while I'm sure united won't have it easy I'm confident we'll score, and after tonight I'm more confident we'll keep Barcelona out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

God I love the RTE panel, so funny.

United were pretty terrible tonight, match was decent, flattered to decieve though. I have high hopes that the 2nd leg will be a classic something like the Real Madrid match 5 years ago. If there is an early goal then it should be a cracker.
    I put United as favourite though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As for the game, I'm relatively happy.
    Barca at the Nou Camp. I'd rather a score draw, but I'll take a 0-0 draw. Barca are an amazing team, and they showed that tonight. United were happy to do what they do against teams that can pass better than they can (Arsenal for example sometimes can depending on the team), sit back, play a deep line, make it so they can't make any clear chances (which Barca didn't do) and hope to nick something.
    Bar the not nicking something, United played the perfect Euro away performance. Considering that Brown and Hargreaves were in our defence, I can't really ask for more.

I'd say advantage United, very very very slightly, but the tie is still on a knifeedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was a good, tactical away European performance from United, but once again Ronaldo fails to do anything of any note in a big game. United were helped by Barcelona's case of Arsenal-itis - tippy tapping the ball around outside the box with no cutting edge. It looks pretty but accomplishes nothing and is easy to defend against - exactly why both Arsenal and Barcelona are where they are in their leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Another great away European tactical preformance by Fergie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tedious game tonight, I thought a Barcelona - M<an United game would have been more entertaining.

BTW, you do not win or create a peno if the ref does not give it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Game was shocking tonight, Ronaldo was an absolute disgrace.Talk about being a lazy ungrateeful git, bottled a peno and wouldn't even run 5 yards to chase down the ball.

Uniteds best player was scholes, the only player who could compete with the barca passing on their level , rest of the team was woeful.VDS needs to get his arse in gear and practice his kicking.

Messi showed what a true world player of the year looks like imo.Quite disspointed overall with the whole debacle.

Also, anyone care to enlighten me why we had rooney playing where he was the whole game? I can only hope he was carrying an injury , otherwise don't know wtf Sir alex was thinking.

do you have any ideas of your own on the game or will you just continue to repeat what Dunphy said?

United fan very much? :D
    RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    lol

Great responses. You want to know why they were only one line? Because they were 3 penalties and you have no other repsonse to it but to try pretend it's bias.

No talking about the game overall, but United played as well as you could ask of a player playing out of position, with no service.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Damn I wanna see Dunphy

"Bill will you promise me that you'll stop reading those tabloids"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Iago wrote: »

No it wasnt.

It was a good result.

Awful performance.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Celtic, Rangers, Schalke among others have all played much much much better in the Nou Camp in the recent past.

And we are led to believe Utd are by a mile the best team in the world?

:) ok so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ronaldo had a bad game fair enough, but how can anyone play well when there is no service. Man U's role tonight was to defend defend defend, and we did that immaculatly even without Vidic. I am happy with this result as I have posted in the Man U thread.

Lets sum something up on this Ronaldo issue, the only ppl who have to worry about Ronaldo is Man Utd fans, I couldnt give a flying fcuk what a Pool, Man City fan, or Arsenal fan make out of him. All I know is Ronaldo has been our best player this season, he has been phenomenal, its all down to bitterness. I couldnt care a less if he is best in the world or any of that absolute b0ll0x, he is the best in the world for us and I am happy with that , he is a genius. All the ppl criticising him would have him in their side in a heart beat.

Now moving on to the Pundits on RTE, can anyone not understand there was one job tonight and it was defend for our lives like we have done so often away in the CL this season, oh and maybe nick a goal. We didnt nick the goal cause Ronaldo is human and made mistake, you would question anyone having to take a peno 2 mins into a game in front 100'000 catalans baying for your blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ok, a few things
    • Ronaldo was Utd's best attacking threat.
    • Carrick & Park were brutal.
    • Rooney not in the match at all.
    • Scholes, Ferdinand and VDS superb.

I don't think anyone was expecting Barca to be so fluent. They held a very high line up the pitch and Utd's midfield crumbled back in to defence, playing straight in to their hands.

That won't happen at OT as Utd know they must win the match.

The reaction of the fans and players tells you all you need to know. Barcelona were disappointed, almost as if they'd lost the match. Utd were fairly upbeat.

If Vidic is back for the second leg at OT, Utd will be more comfortable at the back and hopefully those quick one twos will turn in to bodychecks and sliding tackles.

Great responses. You want to know why they were only one line? Because they were 3 penalties and you have no other repsonse to it but to try pretend it's bias.

No talking about the game overall, but United played as well as you could ask of a player playing out of position, with no service.

To be honest I just wouldn't bother creating an argument because you seem to hyped up to be able to respond rationally and view the performance from an unbiased perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RasTa wrote: »
    Another great away European tactical preformance by Fergie.

Ironing much?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

PHB apart from the one he got the only other peno was when he blocked off in the first half but because he made such a meal out of it he made it hard for the ref to give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

do you have any ideas of your own on the game or will you just continue to repeat what Dunphy said?

:D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Willstev wrote: »
    Ronaldo had a bad game fair enough, but how can anyone play well when there is no service. Man U's role tonight was to defend defend defend, and we did that immaculatly even without Vidic. I am happy with this result as I have posted in the Man U thread.

Lets sum something up on this Ronaldo issue, the only ppl who have to worry about Ronaldo is Man Utd fans, I couldnt give a flying fcuk what a Pool, Man City fan, or Arsenal fan make out of him. All I know is Ronaldo has been our best player this season, he has been phenomenal, its all down to bitterness. I couldnt care a less if he is best in the world or any of that absolute b0ll0x, he is the best in the world for us and I am happy with that , he is a genius. All the ppl criticising him would have him in their side in a heart beat.

Now moving on to the Pundits on RTE, can anyone not understand there was one job tonight and it was defend for our lives like we have done so often away in the CL this season, oh and maybe nick a goal. We didnt nick the goal cause Ronaldo is human and made mistake, you would question anyone having to take a peno 2 mins into a game in front 100'000 catalans baying for your blood.

Excellent post, whole heartily agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

smemon wrote: »
    Ok, a few things
    • Ronaldo was Utd's best attacking threat.
    • Carrick & Park were brutal.
    • Rooney not in the match at all.
    • Scholes, Ferdinand and VDS superb.

Ronaldo was muck, did nothing but again bottle a big game. Carrick put in a solid defensive midfield display but it was obvious he was told not to stray foward, while Rooney was never going to be in the game playing out of position with zero service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ferguson had a simple plan, soak up everything barca threw at them and then hit them on the break. Unfortunately the squad were on their way out the door before he finished the teamtalk so they didn't hear the second part!

Actually ferguson himself said that the intention was to bring their game to Barcelona.. what they played tonight was not their game..

Fergie fluffing it in Europe again?

To be honest I just wouldn't bother creating an argument because you seem to hyped up to be able to respond rationally and view the performance from an unbiased perspective.

That's cause you're talking ****. Try and deny that they were 3 penalties? No? Why not? Cause you know you'd be bull****ting.

PHB apart from the one he got the only other peno was when he blocked off in the first half but because he made such a meal out of it he made it hard for the ref to give it.

Hey, don't get me started Villian. I"m still pissed off at him for the Derby dive. I'm hoping he'll learn it's not in his interest to become a diver, because he gets fouled so much, he's gona get more penaltes by not diving.
    Doesn't change the fact that they were 3 penos, they were all his doing, and he deserves some bloody credit for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MATHS WHIZ.

Hang on, how exactly did Ronaldo "get" 3 penalties.. It was Barcelona players who fouled. Any player who tries deliberately to get penalties by inducing others into fouling him is a disgrace to the game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

worse thing is, Barcelona's worst player(Marquez) is suspended for the 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's cause you're talking ****. Try and deny that they were 3 penalties? No? Why not? Cause you know you'd be bull****ting.

Hey, don't get me started Villian. I"m still pissed off at him for the Derby dive. I'm hoping he'll learn it's not in his interest to become a diver, because he gets fouled so much, he's gona get more penaltes by not diving.
    Doesn't change the fact that they were 3 penos, they were all his doing, and he deserves some bloody credit for it!

Why give Ronaldo credit for going to ground at every opportunity? I'd rather give credit to a guy who takes the ball and tries to conjure up something of note as Messi did.

On another note, great game against Real Madrid tonight wasnt it, RTE?

Real Madrid 0 Manchester United 0

worse thing is, Barcelona's worst player(Marquez) is suspended for the 2nd leg
    Puyol will be back anyway to take his place, and Puyol isnt playing well for them either in La Liga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Well i am entitled to agree with him if i feel he had a point and incase you missed it , it was the entire panel that slated him.Before you get on my back about it, just because i think ronaldo played rubbish doesn't mean i dont rate him.The reason i said he was useless is because i know what he is capable of .
    I guess it is a wild accusation claiming messi is world player of the year potential cuz dunphy was the guy whoever though that.

As for the ronaldo thing, so far nearly everyone on this thread is in agreement about his overall performance but hey, i guess we just follow the gospel according to Dunphy :D

On a serious note, does anyone know if rooney was actually fully fit or not for the game?

Overall, i see tonights game as an opportunity missed then anything else, there defence was weakened without puyol, now we have him to deal with in the return leg and i know who i would prefer roni n nani running at.Still think we will get to the finals tho.Lets just hope this was all part of fergies master plan ;)

Why give Ronaldo credit for going to ground at every opportunity? I'd rather give credit to a guy who takes the ball and tries to conjure up something of note as Messi did.

Only goes to highlight their complete ineptitude.

Oh indeed.. Raul and Van Nistelrooy played a blinder of a game. :pac:

As for other players:

VDS: Fine, except some dodgy kicks.

Evra: Did great against Messi, Messi played really well, but Evra stopped any end product.

Brown: Played surprisingly well, but jesus Eto running at him scared the **** out of me. And his distribution was terrible.

Ferdinand: Was amazing. There's no other defender on the planet who could limit Eto like he did tonight

Hargreaves: Did well against Iniesta, poorly against Henry, but he was playing out of position so I'm happy.

Carrick: Solid defensively. Utter ****e going forward. His passing was very poor at times. Disappointed in him.

Scholes: Did well, his greatest fault was passing to Brown too much.

Park: Ran lots, the game was a little above him, but he didnt get the ball at all so.

Tevez: Fine defensively, but going forward was very poor.

Rooney: Same as Tevez, out of position though.

Ronaldo: Should have had three penalties. Our only attacking threat. Missed the peno which is unlike him.

Why give Ronaldo credit for going to ground at every opportunity? [/URL]

What are you on about? How is getting fouled now a bad thing? He was fouled and it made him fall over. And now it's his fault.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    MATHS WHIZ.

A2 in Honours maths baby :)

Again another precise summary of the performances PHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

.......Ronaldo...... to become a diver....

That certainly gave me a chuckle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So you can do calculus but can't see that Eto'o + Iniesta = 2 penos? :p

Ronaldo: Should have had three penalties. Our only attacking threat. Missed the peno which is unlike him.

Oh indeed.. because goals scored by penalty are a true reflection of who were the better team on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah, that clears it up. They obv don't have time for the basic adding and subtracting stuff on the higher course so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This forum is going to go into meltdown!

Ronaldo needs to cop the **** on. He has been scoring goals for fun this season but his general play has not improved that much over the last 2 years.
    He should take an example from scholes. Dig in and help the team.

Him winning three penos is bull. He didnt. The 2nd one he went down like a ton of bricks. It was never going to be given.
    Barcelona were disappointed, almost as if they'd lost the match. Utd were fairly upbeat.

No that is all wrong. Both sides know that this game will be won in Old Trafford.

Anyway all to play for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have to laugh at Dunphy going on about the tabloids when his punditry is pure tabloidism. Everything is fantastic of terrible.

United were great before the match and now they are terrible. Barcelona were useless and now they are great. Heard it all before and a lot of the posters on here are saying the exact same thing. I cant take anyone seriously who is defining a team or a player on one match.

Anyway Barcelona bossed the match completely. I cant remember United having so little possession in a match for a long time. One thing I will agree with Dunphy on though was the shape of the team. Rooney on the right was such a waste. I can sort of see the logic as he tracks back so well but its just too big a loss creatively to consider playing him there. playing Ronaldo up front too seemed very odd. Sure its great to have his pace for the counter attack, but he was so isolated(as Tevez was more or less playing in midfield) that he had very few oppurtunites to get the ball to feet and run at the defence. Hes a much more potent counter attacking weapon when playing out wide.

I though Brown was excellent tonight for the most part in defence. Scholes was Uniteds man of the match by a long way. I`ve never seen him make as many clean tackle in a match and he showed his usual composure in possession.

Carrick I though was quite poor. Its a little unfair to pick him out really as there were a few poor United performances but he gave the ball away so cheaply and was caught in possession a few times.

A poor performance overall. In fact a very poor performance, but they got a nil nil to take back to OT. Beat Barcelona at Old Trafford to reach the champions league final? Seems like a pretty good position to be in.

Now lets all go back to how terrible they are, how disgraceful a professional Ronaldo is........................

Oh indeed.. because goals scored by penalty are a true reflection of who were the better team on the night.

Once again you show you are just talking utter bull****. Please show me anywhere where I said anything like that? Anywhere at all? Got nothing again? Surprising.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah, that clears it up. They obv don't have time for the basic adding and subtracting stuff on the higher course so! :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So you can do calculus but can't see that Eto'o + Iniesta = 2 penos? :p

My friend is a theoretical physcist. Got A in maths applied maths and physics (like myself :)) If you ask him to add, he'll go to the calculater :)

It was actually a typo :)

That certainly gave me a chuckle ;)

Fair enough, made the choice to continue to be a diver :)

---
    Him winning three penos is bull. He didnt. The 2nd one he went down like a ton of bricks. It was never going to be given.

He should have had three penos. He didn't, but thats a side issue about refs and him having a rep (which is his fault).

He may have went down for the 2nd one looking for it, but would you deny it was a foul? I don't think anyone has so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

McGeady> Ronaldo

God help football if two English teams are in the Champions League Final.

Man Utd are ANTI-FOOTBALL.

Again it is a weird one to call, i had hoped fergie would go out guns blazing and take it to them but he decided to shut up shop and snuff them out which after looking at the way they played was prolly a good idea because they were obviously really up for it tonight.

Fergies plan worked a treat, the only thing he hadn't planned for was roni skying the peno , otherwise we would prolly be talking about how awesome we played defensively and took everything they got.

On the roni thing, the peno affected him badly tonight, he showed his petulance .Rooney can get a bit like that when things aren't going well but i don't think ive ever seen him as bad as roni was tonight with all the hand waving n such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Messi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>infinity>>>>Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

McGeady> Ronaldo

God help football if two English teams are in the Champions League Final.

Man Utd are ANTI-FOOTBALL.

I know the countless Roma results still hurt, but just move on man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

who got uefa man of the match?
    or sky man of the match?
    i can't find it online.

A better judge in comparing ronaldo n messi will be at old trafford, both will be fully fit and lets just pray roni doesn't miss a penalty in the first two minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What are you on about? How is getting fouled now a bad thing? He was fouled and it made him fall over. And now it's his fault.

I honestly couldn't tell which were fouls and which weren't because every time an opposition player looked at him he was heading for the deck. Then they show him screaming to the heavens like The Incredible Hulk (or should I say sulk)

It's a damn shame to see someone so talented completely lose his head and resorting to such silliness.

I thought he let himself down tonight big time. The penalty miss can happen to anybody but his manner throughout the rest of the game was a joke.

Advertisement