Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Chelsea (1st Leg)

• 20-04-2008 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

For me it's going to be an interesting match.

Chelsea imo have a better team man for man. Liverpool have a better system.
    I think this year might be the first time Chelsea actually beat them? Why? And this logic is weird. Because Benetiz can't beat the manager, because the manager doesn't know what he's doing. The players will play however they want to play, and as such, it'll work out better than Mourinho vs. Rafa trying to outthink each other. It'll be a more brutish game which Chelsea might well nick. I think especially given Liverpools defensive frailties (the loss of Agger) Chelseas attack might be too much for them in the first leg.
    Score draw for me, giving the advantage to Chelsea.

Liverpool vs. Chelsea (1st leg) 98 votes

Liverpool
    0%
    Chelsea
    25%
    cournioniDcullyIrishMikeDub13UnearthlymayordenisWellyJjemMaliceJazzyntlbellCionáddeisedevileventRuskie4Rentshatners basoonDun laoireThe SparrowpatrickcGavin "shels" 25 votes
    Draw
    15%
    weemcdsmemonscargillquad_redapplehunterchopperbyrnegustavoNalzOPENROADPeyton ManningEirebearKillme00Niall06dfx-kryogen 15 votes
    Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    19%
    RasTaPHBQuball15quarrymanMr.Nice GuyvestanpanceYeatsCountyJonny ArsoneZe^Fuzzy_DunlopLoomisdobsdavePrufrockXavi6leninbenjamin[Deleted User]Im_No_SupermanCHDhamnegg 19 votes
    Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    39%
    dardozThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfDingatronmike65kaimeraspocketyDrag00n79zAbboCivilServantmachiavellianmesharkmanjesus_thats_greeigrodShaque attackraven136cruiserweightsmithy1981SherifuBrando_ie 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Chelsea
    PHB wrote: »
    For me it's going to be an interesting match.

Chelsea imo have a better team man for man. Liverpool have a better system.
    I think this year might be the first time Chelsea actually beat them? Why? And this logic is weird. Because Benetiz can't beat the manager, because the manager doesn't know what he's doing. The players will play however they want to play, and as such, it'll work out better than Mourinho vs. Rafa trying to outthink each other. It'll be a more brutish game which Chelsea might well nick. I think especially given Liverpools defensive frailties (the loss of Agger) Chelseas attack might be too much for them in the first leg.
    Score draw for me, giving the advantage to Chelsea.

I could not agree more with what you have said,you are spot on.As a Liverpool fan I am confident BUT I think what you are saying has real substance and grant is a wild animal so who knows.We have beaten them under Jose X2,who is a far superior manager but I have a bad feeling and I think you could be right.

I think the defences cancel each other out,because drogba is ****e this year and torres is lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I can see Chelsea being a bunch of headless chickens at Anfield. Wishful thinking maybe. Guess we'll see. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Draw
    I think Chelsea will sneak it, despite being a Liverpool fan.

0-1

J Cole (if available)

77'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    For some reason, I am not too nervous about this match.. That is not to say that I am confident of us winning it, I just don't feel nervous for some reason.

We have played Cheslea twice this season and in both games, while drawn, Liverpool were the better team. The match in Anfield was a draw after a retarded penalty was awarded and Chelsea weren't exactly up to much in Stamford Bridge either.

Saying that, I think Chelsea are due a good result against us in one of these big matches. For the very same reason, I think we can beat United if we do make it through to the final against them - due one and CL final is as good as any ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Chelsea are on the slide. Only advantage they have is pt 2 being at home.

I call

Liverpool 2-0 at home

Away 1-1 or 1-0 to Chelsea. Pool take it on penos. Really Pool need 3-0 win to go to London comfortable and confident. Chelsea play Man U in between, they have no option but to field a first pref side and risk injuries (unless, and this is possible, Abramovich tells Grant otherwise. tbh he couldnt give a sh1t about the Prem this year, he just wants to see Chelsea in Moscow). If injuries happen to the big names the Pool can defo take a depleted Chelsea in London the following Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Forgot that Chelsea could be missing Drogba, Lampard and Ballack for the first leg :)

Chelsea
    Forgot that Chelsea could be missing Drogba, Lampard and Ballack for the first leg :)

and we could be missing our superstar:(

Gerrard has a neck injury and could be a doubt

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Doubt it to be honest. At that, I think there is still more goal in the Liverpool team missing Gerard than the Chelsea team missing Drogba, Lampard and Ballack...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Draw

and Essien is suspended isn't he?

He's in form too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A bore draw is my prediction for the first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Chelsea
    Personally I think that Liverpool have the experience to get themselves into the final easily enough against Chelsea. They don't have the Premiership to worry about so they can afford to rest their main players for the remaining CL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Grant:
    "The last games were too tactical,"

"I think that football needs to be tactical but not too tactical.

"You need freedom to play. Football goes two steps when people start to talk of details but now we need the next step, to give players the freedom to think because they have the responsibility they didn't have 10 years ago.

"So I am trying with my team to give them the freedom to think with responsibility."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Gerrard will almost certainly be starting, if by chance he does'nt the same shape can be deployed with Yossi behind Torres. Chelsea will be missing important players and Grant is an idiot so unless they can change that between now and Tuesday I'm confident enough. Two goal victory will do.

Mike.

I don't think Chelsea have that many injury problems, I think the only real doubt is Drogba.

Either way, I think it's gona be a straight choice between Drogba and Anelka, with Chelsea lining up in a 4-3-3, with

Cech
    --Essien---Terry----Carvalho----Cole--
    Makelele

Ballack---Lampard
    --Joe Cole
    Kalou-
    Drogba/Anelka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Essien is banned for the first leg.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I do hope that they lineup like that. I predict that if they come to anfield and field that team we will spank them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Same as the Arsenal game, for some reason im just not worried over 2 legs. Couldnt disagree more with the original post about our defensive frailties. Sami has been our best defender this year(apart from his first 2-3 games), he has been immense all year. We have barely missed Agger at all lately because of how Sami has played. Never misses a tackle or a header. Skrtel looks perfect for the premiership, another who never misses a tackle. Carra on the right and Aurelio on the left and its a solid looking defence and i expect Skrtel to have Drogba/Anelka in his pocket all night.

If Stevie doesnt play its a huge huge loss but i think he'll be fine and if not drop Babel in behind Torres and Yossi on the left.

Going for a 3-1 at Anfield and a score draw at SB.

I really do think that Liverpool are defensively frail, that's why Arsenal scored so many against them. Without Agger, their CB partnership isn't great. Skertle looks a prospect, but is still a bit away. Hyypia was great, but is just so slow it's a real issue when he plays next to Carragher who is also slow.

That said, Chelsea attack aint what it used to be, and much of their threat comes through the middle, which Mascherano will be able to deal with.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I really do think that Liverpool are defensively frail, that's why Arsenal scored so many against them. Without Agger, their CB partnership isn't great. Skertle looks a prospect, but is still a bit away. Hyypia was great, but is just so slow it's a real issue when he plays next to Carragher who is also slow.

That said, Chelsea attack aint what it used to be, and much of their threat comes through the middle, which Mascherano will be able to deal with.

I think Rafa has seen that which is why he plays Skrtel beside Sami and Carra at right back.

Which is dodgy in itself, because Carragher is much better at CB. Liverpool want to play a tight game, with lots of closing down, which means they have to push up their back line. The amount of times when they do this with that defence that teams are able to play straight balls in behind them is a real issue, and I think someone like Drogba or Anelka can exploit it.

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I have noticed that myself recently, the defence is pushing up and balls are just being lifted over the top. Fabregas done it a lot for Adebayor at Anfield but he kept getting caught offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really do think that Liverpool are defensively frail, .

Goals conceded - Premier league (from 35 games)

Man Utd - 19
    Chelsea - 24
    Liverpool - 26
    Arsenal - 29

Goals conceded - Champions League (from 10 games)

Chelsea - 4
    Man Utd - 5
    Liverpool - 8
    Arsenal - 9

Hardly call it defensively frail. Manchester 'best defense in the world' United have only conceded 10 goals less over 45 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I think we might sneak the first leg 2 - 1. But we will lose the tie overall.

How many goals you concede against crap teams isn't how well you can judge a defense, here's a better analysis:

Chelsea 6 games 5 goals [5 league games bar United and Liverpool League Cup]
    Man Utd 6 games 3 goals [5 league games bar Chelsea and Arsenal FA Cup]
    Liverpool 6(8) games 7(10) goals [6 league games]
    Arsenal 7(9) games 12(17) goals [6 league games and United FA Cup]

In brackets are including the CL tie between Liverpool and Arsenal.

Liverpools defence is shakey. They've kept one clean sheet in their 8 games against the top 4 this year.

Without Agger they are a different defence, also their full backs seem to be less solid than before (with Finnan seemingly losing form) and LB has always been a problem position. Their back 4 is deceptively good in the league because of how amazing Mascherano is, but good teams can normally get around Mascherano (i.e. shift it as wide as possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The thing I'm most worried about is Carra and Gerrard being on yellows. We dont need to be going into a tight 2nd leg or worse still, the final, without one or both of them.

I can see Gerrard avoiding being booked because he seems to be playing with a liecence not to defend. Carragher though will be targetted by Chelsea players, and if he's playing RB, I can see him getting booked over the course of the tie, especially cause Kalou and Cole will target him.

That said, he didn't do it over the Inter tie so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'm lucky enough to be going to Anfield for this one and I think we'll do okay. We always seem more assured when playing over two legs.

Carvahlo and Terry will struggle to keep a lid on a fresh Fernando Torres and Babel should be capable of giving a tough night to whoever Chelsea play at right back. In the middle Essien is a big loss for them. I'm not overly worried about their attackers other than Joe Cole who seems to have a knack of scoring against us. That said nobody knows how Grant will actually approach the game,

I think there will only be a goal in this game at most and would not be surprised if we drew.

I think we'll start with our 4-2-3-1 comprising of the following:

Reina
    Aurelio
    Hyypia
    Skrtel
    Carragher
    Mascherano
    Alonso (although I don't think I'd play him)
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Kuyt
    Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Skertle looks a prospect, but is still a bit away.

Played his arse off any match Ive seen, probably the best January buy any team made.

Gerrard situation is unfortunate, but both Crouch and Kuyt are in decent form. No Drogba would certainly even it out. Chelseas main advantage is pt 2 at home. They are a defensive low scoring team which is why the pool really need to whack in a 3 advantage at home, and try to bore us all to death defensively bar one goal in the second match. Cech is back and from what Ive heard will be dressed like a bomb disposal expert. Cech is good, but I dont go for all the worlds best hype. Id still rate Reina and Given above him.

But as said before, traditional Chelsea game plans may be out the window. Roman wont care if Grant wins the prem. Chelsea need to go to Moscow and win, that is the end of discussion in the debate for Roman. And the decider for whether Grant keeps his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I'm putting my neck out here but I think we'll beat chelsea 2-0. I feel we could've done the double on them this year and walked away with 6 points instead of 2. Chelski aren't half as dominating as they have been in the last couple of years so I think we'll win 2-0 at Anfield and nick a goal on the away leg to wrap it up. Essien missing is huge so we've no reason whatsoever to be too defensive. Hopefully, we'll fly out of the traps, be aggressive as hell, and have a goal in the first 20 mins. As always, the key is not to concede. Our 12th man in the stands will, as always, play it's intimidating role, so with all these things on our side, and Grant's alledged inability to use tactics, I feel a defeat would be a huge upset.
    I'm not sure how much further I can stick my neck out here:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Chelsea
    Chelsea to sneak the tie overall because of home adv on second leg, providing first string team is available.Liverpool will prolly win first leg 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I reckon Chelsea will go through over the two ties but don't expect too many goals or edge of your seat soccer.
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=665717

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

shane86 wrote: »
    Played his arse off any match Ive seen, probably the best January buy any team made.

Such delusion. He's decent but he's not up to stopping Drogba or Joe Cole. As a CHelsea fan I reckon that it'll be 0-0 in one leg amd 1-1 in the other I just hope that we score at Anfield.

Indeed, he didn't have the best of games against Arsenal, and was directly at fault for their first goal, and lost his man a couple of times giving Adabayour a decent chance.

Chelsea
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Such delusion. He's decent but he's not up to stopping Drogba or Joe Cole. As a CHelsea fan I reckon that it'll be 0-0 in one leg amd 1-1 in the other I just hope that we score at Anfield.

Drogba is a shadow of his former self and joe cole is decent but no world beater.I think he will do fine tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Carra and Stevie G are on yellows. Anybody else? What about Chelsea?

• Advertisement

dc69 wrote: »
    Drogba is a shadow of his former self and joe cole is decent but no world beater.I think he will do fine tbh

They are both a class ahead of Skrtle. Hyppia should also be easy pickings. In general, Liverpool's defence should be too slow for Chelsea. Got the feeling that SWP would tear them apart.

However, like I said, I think it's gonna be a crap shoot. Liverpool have too many big game players (although in true Spanish tradition Torres will hopefully choke) to ignore. Stevie G will probably score some ridiculous wonder goal, Carragher will find his form for just these two games and Torres will find himself with just J.T. to beat and unless he gives him the big boot, that'll be a goal. I do think that our midfield is working quite well ATM, Ballack in particular, but I certainly won't be betting on this match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Reading this thread you'd swear Liverpool are 2nd and 3 points off the top of the table and Chelsea had being struggling in the league:rolleyes:!!

Half of yous are going on like Liverpool are far superior.Chelsea are the better team FACT!

Score draw at Anfield
    Chelsea win at the Bridge

Liverpool fans can go on about there 5 european cups while Chelsea play ManUtd in the CL final and everyones happy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

chdpoker wrote: »
    Reading this thread you'd swear Liverpool are 2nd and 3 points off the top of the table and Chelsea had being struggling in the league:rolleyes:!!

Half of yous are going on like Liverpool are far superior.Chelsea are the better team FACT!

Score draw at Anfield
    Chelsea win at the Bridge

Liverpool fans can go on about there 5 european cups while Chelsea play ManUtd in the CL final and everyones happy;)

by your logic it is aresnal playing chelsea in the semi because there ahead in the league?

oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I reckon Liverpool have enough to see off Chelsea. On form and track-record in head to heads you would favour Liverpool. Chelsea still have one eye on the league with an interesting match vs ManU in between the two legs.

If I was a Chelsea supporter I would be concerned about the lack of respect the players have for the manager. Even if Grant was tactically astute for this tie, would the players follow his orders? Few teams can compare with Chelsea for raw talent, but if they're not all pulling in the same direction...

I have a sneaking suspicion it might not be as tight, and as drab an affair as previous years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

prendy wrote: »
    by your logic it is aresnal playing chelsea in the semi because there ahead in the league?

oh wait.....

No......Im comparing how Chelsea have outperformed liverpool in every competition and are the better side but all the liverpool fans think they will ''spank'' and ''beat'' Chelsea comfortably.

Chelsea will win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Chelsea
    No......Im comparing how Chelsea have outperformed liverpool in every competition and are the better side but all the liverpool fans think they will ''spank'' and ''beat'' Chelsea comfortably.

Chelsea will win.

Maybe you should put FACT again at the end of your post to emphasise that
    your opinion is the only one that can possibly be right.
    May i ask how Chelsea have outperformed Liverpool in the CL?

I'm heading to the game too but, like a lot of Liverpool fans I know, I'm not very confident.

Logically we have a great chance but it stems from the two previous semis against Chelsea, something is niggling that they'll have to beat us at this stage some time. The two previous semis were so tight yet we put five past Arsenal... it's a very hard one to call.

I really like Skrtel but Drogba will give him a hard time and we all know he goes down with a gust of wind so would be concerned about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea

Chelsea will win.

Chelsea haven't outperformed Liverpool in CL. Liverpool have been fantastic in CL, two finals, one win and have been the better side head to head with Chelsea.
    They won't "spank" em, can't see that happening at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Chelsea will win.

so because chelsea have outperformed us in the league and domestic cups they will win?
    lol:D good argument!

im not sure and correct me if im wrong but did chelsea not "outperform" liverpool in the league last year and also in 05????? FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

If Skrtel keeps it up before too long people will be thinking that Agger is a band from Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    i have to say i am actually more confident of beating chelski than i was of arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Such delusion. He's decent but he's not up to stopping Drogba or Joe Cole.

Wat happened when Drogba played against him in the league game at Stamford Bridge just after he arrived?;)

we have beaten Chelsea in 3 semi finals in the last 3 years, they are a good side and are bound to win 1 against us eventually, just hope its not this one :cool:

Mr Alan wrote: »

we have beaten Chelsea in 3 semi finals in the last 3 years, they are a good side and are bound to win 1 against us eventually, just hope its not this one :cool:

What you mean to say is we are a better team and your luck will run out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    i will not rise to your bait bubs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Looks like Lampard is fit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7358162.stm

Any Gerrard too. All mind games I reckon.

Interesting comment by Benitez:

"There's no difference between this year's Chelsea and last year's," Benitez said. "I think it's more or less the same.

"It could be they have less spirit than under Jose Mourinho."

• Advertisement
Advertisement