Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Chelsea (1st Leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i have to say i am actually more confident of beating chelski than i was of arsenal.

me too - Chelsea's style suits us better. We know them, we know the games will be closely fought, but we know we can beat them and get passed them, especially over two legs. Our players should all be confident.

And this is a good time to play Chelsea - but our tactics need to be spot on. I hope I dont see Rafa 'experimenting' with a selection. I'd prefer to see a real RB in the RB position, and not Jamie. We need to avoid any complacency at all costs and really take this tie to Chelsea at Anfield in the 1st leg. We cant be relying on an away goal at the bridge. Lets get a goal, and then the 2nd one, 2-0, and lets break Chelsea's confidence in the CL.

hold on to your seat belts ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'm nervous as feck about tonight's game. Big bonus for me anyway, is the loss of Essien tonight.
    Will Rafa stick with Carra at right back and Skrtle/Sami in the centre?
    I'm hopin' Babel will start on the bench and come on for the last 20/25 mins, there's no doubt he has more of an impact on a game when he comes on as sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Feeling good about the game. Need to score 2 hopefully at home. Put the pressure on Chelsea for the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Chelsea
    Can see a win by at least a goal if not 2.
    My prediction is 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    What you mean to say is we are a better team and your luck will run out:D

I'm a Man Utd fan and much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool have done far too well and got through too many big ties in the CL for it all to be luck. They love the big nights of Europe. I'm backin Pool to get to Munich. (just hope we'll be there with em)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    deisedevil wrote: »
    I'm a Man Utd fan and much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool have done far too well and got through too many big ties in the CL for it all to be luck. They love the big nights of Europe. I'm backin Pool to get to Munich. (just hope we'll be there with em)

I can gauruntee you that Liverpool will not be playing in Munich, but best of luck to Man U going there for the final.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

deisedevil wrote: »

interesting!!!:D

pool deffo wont beat man u in Munich this year!!

deisedevil i hope you havnt booked your flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Hello Moscow .o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The law of averages would suggest its Chelseas turn. Much will hinge on whether Drogba plays and is on form.

If pool don't defend well from set pieces they could be in trouble.

I expect a cagey game with both sides reluctant to go all out attack. Pool won't want to leave themselves open to an away goal. I suspect both managers would take a 0-0 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I see this being a score draw which would be a huge advantage to Chelsea. Both times Liverpool knocked Chelsea out the second leg was played in Anfield. I personally do think playing your first leg away is better as you can either choose to set up shop and play for a counter attack away goal knowing you still have your home leg as back up for anything that went wrong or to compound an already great position. That's why I see Chelsea winning the tie this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I see this being a score draw which would be a huge advantage to Chelsea. Both times Liverpool knocked Chelsea out the second leg was played in Anfield. I personally do think playing your first leg away is better as you can either choose to set up shop and play for a counter attack away goal knowing you still have your home leg as back up for anything that went wrong or to compound an already great position. That's why I see Chelsea winning the tie this time round.

Interesting, in only that I don't think Chelsea have ever scored a goal in a Champions League game at Anfield (excluding penalty shoot-outs).

I'm not that confident about qualifying over the two legs though, I do see Liverpool winning tonight, but unless they get at least a 2-0 or a 3-1, I don't see them going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea
    prendy wrote: »
    interesting!!!:D

pool deffo wont beat man u in Munich this year!!

Deisedevil i hope you havnt booked your flights!

Ahhhhhhh, crap crap crap. Was looking at article bout Munich disaster and then typed it in by mistake. Oh the embarrasment.

Follow, follow, follow, cause Utd are going to MOSCOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Both times Liverpool knocked Chelsea out the second leg was played in Anfield. I personally do think playing your first leg away is better as you can either choose to set up shop and play for a counter attack away goal knowing you still have your home leg as back up for anything that went wrong or to compound an already great position. That's why I see Chelsea winning the tie this time round.

While it is shown that playing the second leg at home is an adavantage, its also shown that Liverpool have the best away record of the surviving teams, indeed one only has to remember Juventus and Inter ties both of which were played the "wrong way round".

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The Law of averages also said we should have beaten Utd in the League under Rafa....maybe its building up for something more?
    Besides, Chelsea have had their luck with that Finnan penalty that wasnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mike65 wrote: »
    While it is shown that playing the second leg at home is an adavantage, its also shown that Liverpool have the best away record of the surviving teams, indeed one only has to remember Juventus and Inter ties both of which were played the "wrong way round".

Mike.

Liverpool's CL record is like the Ronaldo bashing, no matter what they do, there'll be something that they didn't which people use as a stick to beat them with. Beating Chelsea(English team) over two legs with the second tie being away should shut people up about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Draw
    i can see Liverpool being the better team on the night but their luck in the CL finally running out and Chelsea jamming it, by a Joe Cole deflected shot stuck possibly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

astrofool wrote: »
    . Beating Chelsea(English team) over two legs with the second tie being away should shut people up about it.

The opposite will happen. Most Man Utd and Chelsea fans don't care about Livepool's champions league record. We care about the Premiership, the league, the thing you have to be consistent in to win (sorry to be so insistent but Liverpool fans might have forgotten what the Premiership is) but whenever we are talking about that Liverpool fans constantly bring up their jammyness in the Champions league. I'd be perfectly happy to never talk about that competition to a Liverpool fan again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The opposite will happen. Most Man Utd and Chelsea fans don't care about Livepool's champions league record. We care about the Premiership, the league, the thing you have to be consistent in to win (sorry to be so insistent but Liverpool fans might have forgotten what the Premiership is) but whenever we are talking about that Liverpool fans constantly bring up their jammyness in the Champions league. I'd be perfectly happy to never talk about that competition to a Liverpool fan again

emmmm, Utd fans do care about the CL and our CL record, they sing about it every week at old trafford for crying out loud! :)

and as for Chelsea?! ask Jose and Roman if Chelsea care about the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Mike.
    Honestly I'd discount the Inter tie because the ref screwed the pooch both times. But that's a different debate and there's no point going into it on this thread.

Chelsea

Stop trolling for crying out loud.
    Jammyness in the CL?
    Lets be children so......
    United robbed a CL in 5 mins from a team that dominated them, hows that for jammyness.
    My playstation is better than your xbox....
    My dog is better than your dog :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, the build-up has begun for what will be a pivotal game for Liverpool this season.

There's always plenty of discussion over the advantages and disadvantages of playing the 1st leg at home or otherwise. But its small differences really and doesnt really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Liverpool know that a goal tonight is needed. Indeed: 2-0 is better than 1-0 and is better than 0-0. The only slight advantage perhaps at playing the 2nd leg at home is when it goes to penalties. That may affect some players concentration and their legs may go to jelly. But that's if it goes to penalties and then its only a but, as home players can be equally affected by penalty pressure.

Yes, Chelsea will line up defensively and look to their fast men (SWP) for attacks on the break. Liverpool will need to be careful at the back. It could be a 0-0 of course but I would expect a goal at some stage tonight. One thing about Liverpool, they do need to be very very careful if they go 1-0 up. Players tend to lose concentration, and giving a goal away at home could determine the tie.

> I suspect both managers would take a 0-0 now.

I dont think so. I dont think Rafa would take that at all. Its hard to rely on an away goal to go through with a 1-1 or something. Rafa will, I think, be aiming for a 1-0 or a 2-0. Chelsea will be looking to exploit dead ball situations, with Reina's (and Liverpools) dodgy handling of crosses and they will be getting the likes of Terry, Carvalho and Drogba in the box.

anything could happen really ..... Liverpool' mindset will be good though. Chelsea are still 'hurting' from their previous losses. Liverpool are in a way Chelsea's bogie team, so lets exploit that to the full, take them on tonight with energy and get the one or 2 goals. I think 2-0 would leave us with one foot in gthe final, although everyone knows that it would still be only half-time.

Meanwhile, there will be a small bit of a side-show in the ownership battle as to who turns up in the directors box. Gillet's son will be there, he is apparently ill. DIC will be Gillet's guests. Parry and Moores, who are side by side at all Liverpools matches, will be there. Hicks said he would be there, but may not show. He may send a representative.

But none of the players or Rafa will be looking up at the directors box. They have a job to do and are focussed.

8 hrs and 45 mins to go .....

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I'm not sure. I'd lean tword Liverpool but I'm saying a draw. Too tight to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    If it is 0-0 tonight,chelsea will fear liverpool scoring at stamford bridge like we feared for our lives chelsea scoring an away goal the previous two times!!There is nothing more frightening or silencing than an away goal,especially in the second leg!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Chelsea
    shane86 wrote: »
    Chelsea are on the slide. Only advantage they have is pt 2 being at home.

I call

Liverpool 2-0 at home

Away 1-1 or 1-0 to Chelsea. Pool take it on penos

Penalties?

What??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Chelsea
    a win of any sort with chelsea not scoring is my biggest want i'm gonna guess/hope 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Chelsea
    The 2nd leg being at the bridge and not anfield will go against Liverpool I reckon. Liverpool are always a formidable force in the 2nd leg knowing what they have to do in front of the vocal support. They might come a cropper at the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The 2nd leg being at the bridge and not anfield will go against Liverpool I reckon. Liverpool are always a formidable force in the 2nd leg knowing what they have to do in front of the vocal support. They might come a cropper at the bridge.

Alternatively, I don't think Liverpool have lost a 2 legged tie in Europe where they played away for the second leg since Rafa arrived at the club. The only one he's lost in total has been Benfica and the second leg then was at Anfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    All this talk of us being in trouble because we have to go to SB next week is hilarious. I wonder how many little flags Roman will put under the chairs to try and create an atmosphere at that place. Its worse than Highbury ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Here is the last 3 times Liverpool have had the 2nd leg away from home

2005 after beating Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 at Anfield we were going to get put out in Germany as Bayer Leverkusen had won all there home group games 3-0, what was the score oh yea 3-1 to Liverpool

Again 2005 beat Juve 2-1 at home we were going to get stuffed in Italy, again score was 0-0 with Milan Baros having the best chance to score and Liverpool having a very weakened team.

2008 beat Inter 2-0 at home going to go to Italy and get stuffed again but if my memory serves me right only goal scorer in the San Siro that night was Fernando Torres.

Liverpool tonight will fly out of the traps like they did in those 3 games to get the 1st goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

mayordenis wrote: »
    a win of any sort with chelsea not scoring is my biggest want i'm gonna guess/hope 2-0

+1

Exactly my feelings on the game. COME ON YOU REDMEN!!

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Melion wrote: »
    All this talk of us being in trouble because we have to go to SB next week is hilarious. I wonder how many little flags Roman will put under the chairs to try and create an atmosphere at that place. Its worse than Highbury ever was.

Maybe so but when was the last time anyone beat Chelsea at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Draw
    Personally I want Chelsea to win as more often than not I think they are easier on the eye than Liverpool.

However, I would love to see a Manchester United vs Liverpool final.

I'm a neutral by the way.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Maybe so but when was the last time anyone beat Chelsea at home?

thats all well and good but we have to lose at home for that to be an issue, so lets worry about it one step at a time. Each time we've played at home first, we've taken a lead into the second leg. Lets just wait and see what happens tonight before getting overly concerned with next week. Id be confident of us being able to get a draw at the bridge.

Draw
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    thats all well and good but we have to lose at home for that to be an issue, so lets worry about it one step at a time. Each time we've played at home first, we've taken a lead into the second leg. Lets just wait and see what happens tonight before getting overly concerned with next week. Id be confident of us being able to get a draw at the bridge.

You don't have to lose at Anfield, just have a score draw.

Chelsea will happily play out a 0-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Gerrard On Tonight:

"Our fans will give us a massive advantage again because there is not many places in the world that have as intimidating atmosphere as Anfield and have such an effect on visiting teams-and thats a fact. Stamford Bridge is a big stadium but its got nothing of the aura that Anfield has and it ceertainly wont intimidate us in the slightest during the second leg".

well in stevie lad, especially like the FACT bit

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    You don't have to lose at Anfield, just have a score draw.

Chelsea will happily play out a 0-0 at Stamford Bridge.

I said to have to win at the bridge we would have to lose tonight. which is the case. A score draw tonight means an equal or higher score draw at the bridge is enough for at least penalties. The ONLY way we NEED to win at the bridge is by losing tonight.

Personally I want Chelsea to win as more often than not I think they are easier on the eye than Liverpool.

However, I would love to see a Manchester United vs Liverpool final.

I'm a neutral by the way.

What games have you been watching? The last 4 Chelsea games have been dire even their own fans booed them off the pitch when winning

Draw
    What games have you been watching? The last 4 Chelsea games have been dire even their own fans booed them off the pitch when winning

You seemed to disregard the "more often than not" part of my post.

Liverpool are consistently boring to watch.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I cant honestly believe that someone would think Chelsea were better than Liverpool to watch this season.

Chopperbyrne; who do you support? Not supporting Chelsea or Liverpool does not automatically make you a neutral.

• Advertisement

Liverpool for such a boring team have scored the most goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Liverpool for such a boring team have scored the most goals this season.

tbf goals don't equate to entertainment. Chelsea 1st season under Mourinho they scored 1 less than the Arsenal team that went unbeaten the year before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)

Liverpool are consistently boring to watch.

So why do you watch them consistently then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    People that think Liverpool are boring to watch are obviously still basing that on our way of playing 1-2 years ago. We have totally changed this season and in particular since Rafa went to 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I enjoy watching Liverpool. Whether that is just because I am a Liverpool fan I dont know. I normally played as a defender when I played football so maybe thats where the attraction is. There is definitely something to be said for a hardworking team that closes down the opposition and is lethal on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Well I am off to the game Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope I am happy when next I am on.

Am going for a 2-0 with Kuyt and Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Chelsea
    Tusky wrote: »
    There is definitely something to be said for a hardworking team that closes down the opposition and is lethal on the counter.

Yeah, but what about Liverpool?

Who were they "lethal" against on the counter so far?

West ham? derby or someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    arsenal ? couple of good goals on the counter against them. anyway cheerio.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Will all those know nothing nothing about Liverpool FC please leave this thread now!

Mike.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Will all those know nothing nothing about Liverpool FC please leave this thread now!

Mike.

sorry mike :(

i'm going :(

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    :pac:

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement