Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Chelsea (1st Leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Chelsea
    Don't panic. Liverpool like to do it the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Villain wrote: »
    Liverpool were the better team but their goal shouldn't have stood.

Seriously?? :confused:

Even as a Chelsea fan I didn't see anything wrong with it. Was it the possible Babel (or was it Babel?) offside? Again, even I thought that was wishful thinking.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    What a time for Riise to get his first 'goal' of the season.

Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Are Chelsea a dirty bunch or what? Low cunning appears to be thier forte.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    It's against Liverpool so I'm all for it. That goal brought a big smile to my face. I don't think Grant knows how to pick a formation, so it will be 1-1 for the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

abelard wrote: »
    Seriously?? :confused:

Even as a Chelsea fan I didn't see anything wrong with it. Was it the possible Babel (or was it Babel?) offside? Again, even I thought that was wishful thinking.

Nope Babel didn't move, but the quick free kick should have been made to be retaken the ball was moving when it was taken imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The ref and linesman on the far side got so much wrong.

Mike.

anyone got a link to clip of Liverpools goal?

Which one? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

grant's out of his depth, still fancy pool to do it, solong as it's 11 v 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Chelsea
    mike65 wrote: »
    Are Chelsea a dirty bunch or what? Low cunning appears to be thier forte.

Mike.

Lord if there's one thing that ruins a game, its the kinda sh1t that Chelsea played in that second half:mad: Most of them lads looked like they didnt want to win that match, a professional like Terry fouling players so easy? please... i smell a rat. Lampard shouldnt have been on the pitch. and Grant sitting on his hole doing nothin when he shoulda been organising/making changes, oh! goodnight!:rolleyes:

Thought Liverpool deserved a win, although the shoulda done better inthe 2nd half, felt sorry for riise:eek:

Wont be remembering that one for anything good.
    Roll on ManU/Barca:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, the refs got so much wrong tonight its unreal.

How Carragher wasn't booked for two specific things is beyond me. A. The red card offense against Drogba. B. Blocking the runner in about the 78th minute, with a body check. Clear yellows each time, don't get given. Besides that MOM from Carragher.

How the hell was that a foul on Reina? I hate the overprotection of goalies these days.

So much inconsistancy from the ref, some fouls not given, some given. Some yellows given, and then Mascherano wasn't booked for what everybody knew was a cynical challenge that he expected to get a yellow for.

Neither team deserved to score in that game imo. Both were shocking in terms of passing, except Reina and Cech, who had a great couple of one twos.

Advantage Chelsea, but still open for both teams, especially considering how shocking Chelsea were. If Chelsea play like that against United, we'll win the league at the Bridge.

Also what the **** was Grant doing taking off Ballack, by far their best player, and leaving on Lampard! Ludicrous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Well I think we all know which Liverpool player's house is getting robbed next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

PHB wrote: »

How Carragher wasn't booked for two specific things is beyond me. A. The red card offense against Drogba. B. Blocking the runner in about the 78th minute, with a body check. Clear yellows each time, don't get given. Besides that MOM from Carragher.

How the hell was that a foul on Reina? I hate the overprotection of goalies these days.

So much inconsistancy from the ref, some fouls not given, some given. Some yellows given, and then Mascherano wasn't booked for what everybody knew was a cynical challenge that he expected to get a yellow for.

Neither team deserved to score in that game imo. Both were shocking in terms of passing, except Reina and Cech, who had a great couple of one twos.

Advantage Chelsea, but still open for both teams, especially considering how shocking Chelsea were. If Chelsea play like that against United, we'll win the league at the Bridge.

Also what the **** was Grant doing taking off Ballack, by far their best player, and leaving on Lampard! Ludicrous stuff.

terry should have been sent off, not carragher. he didnt even get a yellow ffs.
    I hate the overprotection of goalies these days.

i think petr cech would disagree with ye

Cech was injuried in a 50 50 tackle, thats life.

Terry was playing a physical game, but so was Carragher. Both could have went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

and Terry did get a yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Draw
    Liverpool deserve to win that game but if anything that "foul" with Drogba and Reina should of went to Chelsea. I agree with PHB that keeper protection thing is a bit iffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

?? Can you not even mention any yellow card offenses for Chelsea or are you totally biased against Liverpool? :)

Cech was injuried in a 50 50 tackle, thats life.

Terry was playing a physical game, but so was Carragher. Both could have went.

they're both CB's, being physical is major part of their game.

your right about one thing though, masc should have been booked. very surprised he wasnt. but the way the bookings worked outi in the end i reckon it was pretty balanced.

mada999 wrote: »
    ?? Can you not even mention any yellow card offenses for Chelsea or are you totally biased against Liverpool? :)

wow this actually crossed my mind aswell, coincidence? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    Which one? :p
    Indeed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well we got our two goals........damn..

?? Can you not even mention any yellow card offenses for Chelsea or are you totally biased against Liverpool?

It's just cause the clear yellows that weren't given were from Liverpool. I didn't see many clear yellows not given to Chelsea players, indeed they got two.

Also, the idea that I'm biased against Liverpool might be fare, but biased against Liverpool in favour of Chelsea is just silly

Thought Liverpool were a better team on the night but didn't finish Chelsea off in the first 15 mins of the second half when they were on top. Cech just shows he's a top quality shot stopper again and again..

Chelsea seemed to always just hoof it up to Drogba in the first half...Great player but he's such a diver and a crier (like Ronaldo usually). Liverpool did that a little bit but were going nowhere (eh not dive and cry!)

Chelsea had a few good chances but I thought Liverpool had a few more and deserved to win in a very physical match.

Torres didn't really get a chance to get going...he kept getting kicked. He should have played like Drogba and rolled around on the floor. (although he had one real good chance)

Not a nice ending to the game, but if i were to blame anyone it would be masca, didnt get close enough to block the cross from Kalou.. ah well.... :(

Have mixed emotions about the second leg...I feel Liverpool can get a result, especially if we played the same as we played tonight, played nice football in patches..but Chelsea are still Chelsea and are formidable at home regardless of how they played tonight..

Still, if Liverpool don't make it to the final..i'd like Barca or Chelsea to win it..am i biased?

It's just cause the clear yellows that weren't given were from Liverpool. I didn't see many clear yellows not given to Chelsea players, indeed they got two.

Also, the idea that I'm biased against Liverpool might be fare, but biased against Liverpool in favour of Chelsea is just silly

meh...i suppose that the way it goes.. Cashley coles tackle on Kuyt... was that a "clear" yellow?

Indeed it was, forgot about that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I honestly cannot see chelsea in the final. Think we'll come out blazing next week, they will be worn out after that, and the man u game, come on they seriously do not want to hand the prem to utd at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

I agree, Alonso had a great game. Took a great shot in the last quarter of the game but it was deflected. His presence will surely be felt on the pitch again now.

I cant believe it happened though, I mean why didnt Riise just try and head back out towards the corner? Risky but not as risky as what he did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    mada999 wrote: »
    Torres didn't really get a chance to get going...he kept getting kicked. He should have played like Drogba and rolled around on the floor. (although he had one real good chance)

He had two good chances and he got a couple of shots in, even one 3 mins into injury time. I like Torres obviously cos he's a Pool player but I really respect the way he just gets up after being kicked. He'd make a great GAA player. Drogba's a brilliant player but doesn't earn respect as a man with that "cheating" (I call it cheating others call it gamesmanship).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Terry should not have been booked for stamping on Torres

How did Cole get away with another bad tackle with out even giving away a freekick.

Drogba should have been book for his play acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Draw
    Good to see liverpool have luck NOT on their side for a change in the CL :D

In fairness they were the better side and looked hungrier all night. Sucker punch with the last kick of the match which will perhaps give Chelsea an excuse now to play a defensive game at Stamford Bridge.

Can't see liverpool scoring 2 and not conceding at Chelsea. 1-1 and take it in to extra time is their best bet.

• Advertisement

oobydooby wrote: »
    He had two good chances and he got a couple of shots in, even one 3 mins into injury time. I like Torres obviously cos he's a Pool player but I really respect the way he just gets up after being kicked. He'd make a great GAA player. Drogba's a brilliant player but doesn't earn respect as a man with that "cheating" (I call it cheating others call it gamesmanship).

True, true he had a couple of good chances..yeah he got up...not like Drogba "flopping around like a fish" on the ground like someone else said on here. I can't believe he actually gets free kicks when he's the one who backs into defenders everytime...meh its over..roll on the next leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wasn't that bad a game. I expected it to be a snoozefest. I thought Liverpool were the better team for about 70 minutes. I reckon it's curtains for Liverpool now. Chelsea will prove too much up at Stamford Bridge.
    mada999 wrote:
    Chelsea seemed to always just hoof it up to Drogba in the first half...Great player but he's such a diver and a crier (like Ronaldo usually).

And like Gerrard.

Yeh, hilarious for people to bitch about Drogba when Gerrard was falling all over the place in the first half.

Yes and one replay on rte and the ball was still moving imo and the free kick should have been retaken.

Well then about time Liverpool got luck from that repays Asrenal from 89 :p. There 1st goal in that final game was taken from a quick free kick with a moving ball. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

That was unfortunate for us (Liverpool). We had several chances to take it to 2-0 on the night, and should have done, and indeed 2-0 would have been a fair reflection of our efforts, but to gift an own goal at the very end like that, in the 95th minute (shouldnt the ref have technically blown before?) is very unfortuate indeed and hands Chelsea an advantage that they didnt deserve.

But this happens in football, and now it will be a test of Liverpool's mettel in how they deal with it. The tie is not yet over, although the task is a large one. The key will be to score first in the away leg, although 1-1 would do if Chelsea opt for a rearguard and we opt at that point for a do-or-die.

Chelsea got back into tonight's game in the 2nd half and made more threats but their final ball and touch was letting them down.

All we, and the players, can do is lick our wounds from this unfortunate turn of events, think of the task ahead and to focus on doing it. It is possible. Granted, we cant be as confident as we were at the start of the 1st leg, or at half-time or indeed when the clock read 94 minutes and 00 seconds. Its a sucker punch. But this tie is not over ..... thats for sure.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Draw
    mike65 wrote: »
    The ref and linesman on the far side got so much wrong.

Mike.

Khow what you mean about refs getting things wrong ;)

Yeh, hilarious for people to bitch about Drogba when Gerrard was falling all over the place in the first half.

:rolleyes:

imo drogba was much much worse tonight, if gerrard was at the same then he deserved to be slated too.

dont try to justify bad sportmanship on behalf of drogba by pointing to gerrard

It should make for an open game next week and with Liverpool able to rest everybody at the weekend and Chelsea having to play a big game tie is not over.

Draw

no no, its intelligent play by Gerrard ;)

• Advertisement

Oh come on...? Do you really and honestly think Gerrard dived to the floor and riggled as a fish as much as droggers did? (or was it because I had compared Ronaldo to Drogba in the diving and play acting stakes? :))

Anyways, the tie is a long way from being over..not all doom and gloom...

Monday, 14 April 2008 21:56 UK
    Chelsea 1 Wigan 1
    > come on it's not impossible!! :)

OPENROAD wrote: »

Just like its intelligent from C Ronaldo:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Chelsea
    OPENROAD wrote: »

when it comes to diving,ronaldo and Drogba are in leagues ahead of gerrard.He does it tactically and quite rarely,the other 2 are just cheats and do it for no other reason and often.

dont try to justify bad sportmanship on behalf of drogba by pointing to gerrard

I don't, but I'm not gona bitch non-stop about a team diving when my own captain does it reguarly. Also, the only thing Liverpool fans ever say about this is that Gerrard does it less. All it means is that Gerrard is a better diver than Ronaldo and Drogba is, because he pretends to be really against it, but then does it in big moments. So we can all agree, either they are all equally bad, or Gerrard is just better at it.

Draw
    Just like its intelligent from C Ronaldo:rolleyes:

That is what the so call experts say about Gerrard when he goes down.

Draw
    dc69 wrote: »
    when it comes to diving,ronaldo and Drogba are in leagues ahead of gerrard.He does it tactically and quite rarely,the other 2 are just cheats and do it for no other reason and often.

listen Gerrard goes down, and imo he seems to be doing it more and more, as for it being tactically, come on!! it annoys me that the media come up with crap about it being intelligent play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

This statement is obviously trying to get a reaction and normally I wouldn't give in but here goes.

I really enjoy reading these threads and very rarely post but PHB to compare Drogba's behaviour tonight and Gerrard's behaviour tonight is a joke. I would be the first to admit that Gerrard on occasion has gone down easily but I seen no evidence of that tonight.

Drogba on the other hand, on more than one occasion, backed into players and rolled around like his back was broken. You are obviously trying to rub us liverpool fans up the wrong way with stupid comments and unfortunatly on this ocassion you have found a sucker in me.

Congratulations. (In future I will do my best to just read these threads and enjoy it)

I don't, but I'm not gona bitch non-stop about a team diving when my own captain does it reguarly.

But you are bitchin about it...

"All it means is that Gerrard is a better diver than Ronaldo and Drogba is, because he pretends to be really against it, but then does it in big moments"

Is that a fact?? ah come on.. just admit it, Ronaldo and Drogba are in different league when it comes to "falling easily". I bet ya they'd have a great chance of a gold medal at the Olympics :) , wheras Gerrard would probably be aiming for the Bronze (much like our league campaign :( )

Crazy talk!

Cry me a river, it's just hilarious how people see things if they are from different sets of fans. Drogba is a joke, always has been. Gerrard dives on a very regular basis, and was falling over himself earlier in the night, but as the game went on, saw less and less of the ball.

Both teams tonight were hilarious in terms of their diving, but if you look at the poll, there were 37 liverpool fans and 3 chelsea fans. I'd wager you that if you look at a Chelsea forum, they are all bitching about Gerrard diving, Torres falling over from any touch etc. etc. etc.

It's like a nation of Wengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Chelsea
    Cry me a river, it's just hilarious how people see things if they are from different sets of fans. Drogba is a joke, always has been. Gerrard dives on a very regular basis, and was falling over himself earlier in the night, but as the game went on, saw less and less of the ball.

Both teams tonight were hilarious in terms of their diving, but if you look at the poll, there were 37 liverpool fans and 3 chelsea fans. I'd wager you that if you look at a Chelsea forum, they are all bitching about Gerrard diving, Torres falling over from any touch etc. etc. etc.

I would say I counted 15+ times tonight that drogba dived.I could count none that gerrard did,maybe 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

Talk about the bleedin' obvious. Of course fans are gonna think desicions should of went in their favour, that's only natural. And as I've said, I'd be the first to say that Gerrard has often gone down easily on occasion and it's something I don't personally like to see in any player (Liverpool or otherwise). But you are always in the Liverpool thread stirring ****e and that's obviously what you are up to here. To compare Gerrard's behaviour to Drogba's tonight is unbelievable but probably expected considering it's you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement