Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Chelsea (1st Leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PiE wrote: »
    Lemons, everywhere.

Nobody's said he's a "model pro". However for someone whose just come from playing in a league where defenders are legally required to give strikers 4 acres of space, to the PL - with thugs making up about 67% of the players association, having the legs kicked off him every week - would you not conceed that he's been remarkably tight-lipped about it? And that he has, on the whole, got on with his job without whining too much, or disappearing from games for fear of another kick?

I have to say, for me, that has been the most impressive thing about Torres this season.

well if he did whine about it he would get a yellow card and his mate would get himself sent off. Boy done good keeping stum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    shane86 wrote: »
    Dunno why but when Ray (I think) announced there was only 10 seconds left, I was immediately struck with the feeling "****, theyre gonna get one, theyre gonna score".

Well, it wasnt them who scored exactly. Which makes it even worse. Why did he use his head when a kick would have been sufficient?

Hmm. A single goal to make it 1-0 in London takes pool through. Of course the historical downside is that its been a while since that happened. The last time Chelsea were beaten at home the match was abandoned because of a luftwaffe raid.

Can they score in London?

Gerrard was ok last night, but not overwhelming.

Babel was great although some of his passing was iffy.

Torres- great at home, average on the road.

tbh it is really hard to see them pulling this one off.
    But we have Dirk Kuyt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Tauren wrote: »
    I htink you'll find people having been saying it is great to see Liverpool's luck run out.

Our luck running out is such bull****. We were denied a stone wall peno against Inter as well, people just dont mention stuff like that and instead put everything down to luck in order to take away from having to offer us any plaudits.

I wasn't confident about us getting through before the game last night.

I am now. We will win at the bridge.

fullstop wrote: »
    AAaaaahhhhh....poor Alan, do you need a hug :)Chelsea should have had a pen in the first half when Carragher brought Drogba down so that's one pen each. And if you look carefully, the ball actually came back off Kuyt's shin for THAT goal kick. But let's not let fact get in the way of sour grapes. I don't think they actually scored directly from the goal kick either did they so liverpool only have themselves to blame for not defending properly.

John Arne Riise....ooh aah....i wanna knooooww if you'll score a goal :D:D

Actually it was outside the box so it should have been a free kick.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Our luck running out is such bull****. We were denied a stone wall peno against Inter as well, people just dont mention stuff like that and instead put everything down to luck in order to take away from having to offer us any plaudits.

and you were lucky not to go a man down and give away a penalty against Arsenal. could keep going back and forth.

However, no team has ever won anything without being lucky.

should get the job done at SB - better side by far last night, and chelsea don't seem to be actually playing well at the moment. Hopefully Liverpool get the first, and early, goal at SB, otherwise it could get very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Strange how no one is mentioning the definate penalty Liverpool didnt get, or the fact that the goal kick that Chelsea got their goal from was actually a corner

That's cos Liverpool fans, like the team, just get on with the job.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    AAaaaahhhhh....poor Alan, do you need a hug :) Chelsea should have had a pen in the first half when Carragher brought Drogba down so that's one pen each. And if you look carefully, the ball actually came back off Kuyt's shin for THAT goal kick. But let's not let fact get in the way of sour grapes. I don't think they actually scored directly from the goal kick either did they so liverpool only have themselves to blame for not defending properly.

Wat an awful post.

And no, i dont need a hug. I work with a big breasted woman who offered to do that if i feel down today.

First off, i'm not sour, i feel good about the second leg of the game. Better than i did before kick off yesterday.

The goal off Kuyts shin, ****, i forgot that they dont count!? like Whelans wonder goal years ago, or even Santa Cruzs goal into the anny road end last week? Seriously wat point were you trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wat an awful post.

And no, i dont need a hug. I work with a big breasted woman who offered to do that if i feel down today.

First off, i'm not sour, i feel good about the second leg of the game. Better than i did before kick off yesterday.

The goal of Kuyts shin, ****, i forgot that they dont count!? like Whelans wonder goal years ago, or even Santa Cruzs goal into the anny road end last week? Seriously wat point were you trying to make?
    Can you read the full sentence before making yourself look silly please, I said for the goal KICK at the end that you were crying about and not the goal :rolleyes:

oobydooby wrote: »
    That's cos Liverpool fans, like the team, just get on with the job.

rubbish, we all know liverpool fans don't have.... no - mustn't finish!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    AAaaaahhhhh....poor Alan, do you need a hug :) Chelsea should have had a pen in the first half when Carragher brought Drogba down so that's one pen each. And if you look carefully, the ball actually came back off Kuyt's shin for THAT goal kick. But let's not let fact get in the way of sour grapes. I don't think they actually scored directly from the goal kick either did they so liverpool only have themselves to blame for not defending properly.

There's being a good sport. Then there's this.

Completely unnecessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Well, it wasnt them who scored exactly. Which makes it even worse. Why did he use his head when a kick would have been sufficient?

Because he's all left foot and was afraid he'd slice it into his own net if he swung with his right. Which is pathetic.
    One of the things that galls me most in football is professionals who can't use both feet. As a professional you should be able to use both feet to some degree. Being unable to use your weaker foot at all is a disgrace really considering their life is football and it's not like they don't have the time to practice it. I can easily say I can use my weaker foot better than some professionals. It's not like he needed to be accurate - he's 6 yards from goal, you hoof it. If you can't do that without fear of slicing it then that's extremely poor.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Sorry fullstop, your post was so bitter and ****e i feel asleep halfway through reading it and misunderstood the end.

Wat are you talking about though? the incident i am refering to was with Yossi, not Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There was two pens for Liverpool and that one your referring to happened OUTSIDE the box.

There was the push by Cole and the Handball by Ballack

But then Liverpool dont get pens for handballs in Europe remember Veria in the Inter game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

hahaha logged on for the first time in a while too see what people were saying (Live in Australia now and had to get up at 4:45am for the game) and its funny how things don't change

PBH face it your a Liverpool fan hiding in the closet. You only ever argue the points against Liverpool not one mention of Drogbas disgracful diving or Terrys kicking Torres while he was on the ground or Torres getting a fist to the back of the head plus Cole pushing Kyut out of the way in the box, plus the fact that even if Kyut hadn't of scored it should have been a peno.

Any bets that if these things happen to United tonight you will be screaming blue murder!

Chelsea didn't deserve a draw (as all of my mates who are Chelsea fans have agreed) and if you think they did well then you obviously hate Liverpool more then you realise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

*wipes eyes*

Now, for whatever can be said about the pools ability to transform from 4th in the EPL to world beaters on a given CL night, a win at SB is something that has evaded every PL team for a good few years. Obviously penos didnt really come into play, and if they can take it to penos I feel that if the Liverpool kick takers can keep their cool, Reina will knock one or two of the Chelsea shots off. But bringing the tie back to a draw is a very tall order. Not at all confident personally.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    *wipes eyes*

Now, for whatever can be said about the pools ability to transform from 4th in the EPL to world beaters on a given CL night, a win at SB is something that has evaded every PL team for a good few years. Obviously penos didnt really come into play, and if they can take it to penos I feel that if the Liverpool kick takers can keep their cool, Reina will knock one or two of the Chelsea shots off. But bringing the tie back to a draw is a very tall order. Not at all confident personally.

Records like Chelseas at SB are made to be broken.

Chelsea think its over, i was watching Chelsea TV after the game last night and they had a phone in, almost every caller thought the tie was now dead and buried. This suits us perfectly-always better as underdogs. we should have won at the bridge this season in the league, and we were without Torres for that game.

Seriously, even if we dont win, i think we will definately score, and then its game on.

Ps:i actually think Utd will win at the Bridge this weekend too.

Chelsea think its over, i was watching Chelsea TV after the game last night and they had a phone in, almost every caller thought the tie was now dead and buried. This suits us perfectly-always better as underdogs. we should have won at the bridge this season in the league, and we were without Torres for that game.

Seriously, even if we dont win, i think we will definately score, and then its game on.

U beat me to it! I think the Bridge record is gonzo on Saturday afternoon! LOL Just havin the craic really, United have been flakey the last few games, showed god resolve comin back from behind but still a bit shakey. So we'll see. But I dunno if Chelsea can avoid defeat in BOTH games....

Its nowhere near over, it couldnt be more evenly poised. But Liverpool do need an early goal IMO. Just like they did last year with Agger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Chelsea

Will you be hoping for some "lethal" counter attacking football??

*giggle*

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lemons, everywhere.
    Because of course, that is the only possible explanation for someone making a sarcy comment about the sportsmanship of Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Have Liverpool entered a second leg in the CL without the initiative before?

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Will you be hoping for some "lethal" counter attacking football??

*giggle*

It wasnt me who said that.

I thought only little girls giggled? Are you a little girl?

Dont mean this at all offensively, but it reminds me of alot of the long shot optimism Ive had for Ireland over the last few years. The hope that we could win the final Swiss game in Landsdowne. Or that we wouldnt sloppily concede to Israel. Conceding in Slovakia in the dying minutes. Hoping upon hope we could gain 3 pts against the Czechs, we were close but no cigar.

Yes, they are a team that came from 3-0 down to win the CL. They are a team who last winter were in danger of not making the last 16 but pulled it off anyway. But this is imo the tallest of the tall orders, and eventually they wont be able to do it.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Please tell me you didnt just compare Rafa Benitezs Liverpool to Steve Stauntons Ireland?!

Chelsea
    It wasnt me who said that.

I thought only little girls giggled? Are you a little girl?

When the most lethal counter attacking team lose a goal that was going to see them through to the final in the 94th minute I giggle like a girl.

Guilty your honour.

Chelsea
    Please tell me you didnt just compare Rafa Benitezs Liverpool to Steve Stauntons Ireland?!

Well neithier of them knew their best 11

neithier ever picked their best 11

and both them made terrible descisions during games - constantly.

They have a lot in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Draw
    I havent actually seen the OG as i missed the second half, is it online anywhere?

Tks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Draw
    Killme00 wrote: »
    I havent actually seen the OG as i missed the second half, is it online anywhere?

Tks:D

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/FPLBY7BS4NB2HT5P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Draw
    Archimedes wrote: »

Muchos Gracias Senor

Why didnt he just use his foot to clear it?

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Muchos Gracias Senor

Why didnt he just use his foot to clear it?

The header would of been a sure way to start a "lethal" counter attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

ntlbell wrote: »
    The header would of been a sure way to start a "lethal" counter attack.

Ok we get it,enough please! time to move on maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Archimedes wrote: »
    What does he shout after the goal goes in?

I just can't figure it out - it sounds like "penguin" but even for Phil Thompson, that wouldn't really make sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

i think he might of been saying something about Ian Payne who just asked him how come chelsea don't score at anfield in the cl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Classic Clip!!

Good enough game - excellent result for the Blues. I though they were unlucky enough to go in 1 down at half-time and rode their luck during the second half but we'll take 1-1! (to be honest would have settled for 1-0 defeat at start of match)

Will be a very interesting match on Wednesday.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Skrtl; He's decent but he's not up to stopping Drogba or Joe Cole.

Seemed more than up to it last night.

• Advertisement

Seemed more than up to it last night.

Already one of the best in the prem and he is only there 4 odd months. Alot of the utd fans here seem to have a bit of a chip in the shoulder about him though.

Im comparing the optimism and over expectation.

Liverpool have not scored at SB in over 4 years. Yet they have to score a minimum of one goal to have a chance. Barring a peno I cant see it happening unless there are alot of injuries from their game v Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Even if it had finished 1-0 i say Liverpool would have needed to score.

They created some chances on Tuesday night and I can't see why they can not repeat that next week, dont forget the Chelsea fans will want there team to attack or will start booing them like the last round when they were very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

i think liverpool will score.they won't allow themselves to be boxed in. torres will do it. or gerrard. or a penalty.

and i have 55 on liverpool to win the champo so they had better

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    have we not scored in any away game in the CL this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is that meant to be "every"?

• Advertisement

Probably. I dont recall. What I do recall is that not one of those teams have a home record like Chelsea. They will not be beaten at home in open play. It is very unlikely Liverpool can force a draw and extra time. They have not done it at any time at SB previously, even the mighty resurgance they can show on CL nights will not be enough. Now, I want them to win, but barring the weekend match they play is a bloodbath with plenty of big name injuries and Cech finally killed, Id put my house on Chelsea progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Id put my house on Chelsea progressing.
    Show us the betting slip so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    shane86, I can sell you a nice carboard box.

Mike.

Show us the betting slip so.

Not litreally of course.

Im out of the game, blew over 30 quid on a multitude of bets on the Man U v Roma match. :mad:

I didnt bank on Fergie resting the big hitters for most of the match (and not playing Ronaldo at all). 3-0, 3-1 seemed a sure thing.
    mike65 wrote: »
    shane86, I can sell you a nice carboard box.

Mike.

And I can sell you the 2nd house Ill acquire when Chelsea win :D

Really though, in terms of the hope here its a bit like the time Father Ted left the notepad out in the hope God would write back to him in the morning with advice.

Theyre fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not litreally of course.
    Well then, be quiet.

Loving all these write-offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    So am I, the bet I win should be bigger too now! :)

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    People seem to be forgetting that Grant is tactically inept which he showed again the other night, Lampard mightn't play. We will progress even if it takes penalties.

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/breaking/sport/mhojsnmhkfsn/

"“I’m not a man of percentages but I think it’s still 50-50."

:p :pac: Jesus christ the prem is a duller place without his incomprehensible waffle.

Lads, really. The optimism here is unreal. They have not scored in FOUR YEARS at SB. Not won, even scored. There is nothing to currently suggest this is about to be broken. So Grant is no Jose. So what. He may be no Jose, but he has managed to keep the unbeaten home run since last Autumn. The home goal with none conceded could have taken them to penos which, had the pool kickers kept their head, they would win (Cech is good, but he is overrated. He is behind Reina and tied with Given). Torres is good, but he is currently overrated and not performing on the road. Gerrard has had some mediocre CL games lately. Babel could be a dark horse but I wouldnt bank on it. Kuyt has shon decent form but again, I wouldnt go nuts. The pool dont have a hope. And this is coming from someone who went to the bother of working out the maths to conclude that if the Czechs did appalingly bad in their last three games we might still qualify post Prague (on the basis that they were worse than the Germans, the Cypriots pulled three upsets in the qualifiers and the Slovaks might dig in for a grudge match). It is an away game against a defensively (I presume) record breaking home side, there is absoloutely nothing about the Pools set up or current form to indicate they can take the game. Believe me, there is nothing Id like more than Chelsea to open the scoring and to then see Torres fire an agg equaliser in the dying seconds, and for it to be taken to penos to meet Man U in Moscow.

But it aint gonna happen. Id be more confident of Ireland pulling off a result against Brazil than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    We have good reason to be optomistic. Chelsea are crap.*

*based on first leg showing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The last time we scored at the bridge I was watching in Austria.

Same for this time ;)

Believe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement