Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

hwvs1.jpg

Build for a friend, pretty nice what you can get for €450 (+€30 shipping). The price of RAM has really come down in the past few weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nice. This is a stronger and cheaper PSU and should be back in stock sooner :) And this is one of many case alternatives, as the 300 is out of stock for another week :o

Yeah, I just don't know enough about the Super Flowers to quite trust them yet, but an 80+ Bronze at that price is pretty awesome. The only thing I really know about them is that they have the same OEM as Enermax.

I like the Antec 200 as well but the 300 is just a bit nicer and worth the extra €8. I wish that HWVS would get the HAF 912 in stock though, such an amazing budget case.

Um... don't think Enermax use their units :confused: SF's OEM is, unsurprisingly, SFC :o:p The few reviews out there for the Amazons are good, placing them around Corsair's established lineup, a bit weaker regulation but higher efficiency than the older CWT/Seasonic units.

And there's a HAF912??!?! :eek:

Yeah my bad I just got a bit confused. Super Flower and Enermax come from the same factory but are different OEMs. The reviews seem pretty solid though.

HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

Ebuyer have it, but at a total ripoff price, which defeats the purpose of a budget case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 DensetsuRigas

Great thread, for budget reasons I've been out of the computer building game for about 4/5 years so I have no idea what's good and what's not. I thought i'd have lots of research to do but I found this amazing thread.

My main PC died recently so I gotta build a new one.

I can salvage the DVD drives, keyboard, monitor(DVI) and stuff so don't need those.

I'm a software Engineer/Web Developer and a Gamer so I'd need something fairly decent that can play games, plenty of USB ports 4 minimum and as big a HDD as possible would be nice.

Also is it possibly to get an external USB SATA reader? so I can salvage my music and stuff?

Might as well get a new case too, current one has plenty of scars and some scorch marks (don't ask)

I have Vista Ultimate so I probably wont need an OS either, unless you think I do.

My Budget is about €700 but can go higher if its practical.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What's the native resolution of your monitor?

Solitaire wrote: »
    What's the native resolution of your monitor?

1366×768 or there abouts if my memory serves. Its not the best but its does enough.
    Monitor is less then 2 years old, so its still good.

That's a TV surely? PC monitors don't usually come in 768p... :o

This means that unless you want to upgrade you have little to no graphics requirement - even a HD5670 would suffice, although I'd rather stick in a HD5750...

Under €650 with decent case and CPU! ;)

HWVS251010.png

That's a TV surely? PC monitors don't usually come in 768p... :o
    Maybe I'm wrong. I pulled that number from memory. Since I'm not 100% it's a dell e1910hc according to the label on the back.

Is that motherboard crossfire compatible. I'm my old machine that's what I had with two cards in it. Do the kids still do that? Lol I'm so out of touch. If that's still an option I'd like to go that way even if I couldnt afford the slave right away it's nice to have they option to upgrade later.

Probably should gave mentioned that in my first post but I didn't think of it.

• Advertisement

You could run a CrossFire configuration on that mobo, but its rarely worth it. If you think you'll need more graphical grunt (reason being you intend on upgrading to a 1080p screen) you'd be far better off getting a better graphics card right now (you could get up to a cheap GTX460 while staying in budget, which would be more than powerful enough to handle a Full HD monitor ;)) rather than dicking about with a second HD5750. If you don't intend on upgrading the monitor then you don't really need more graphics. In either case the second PCIe slot (really a x4 slot, not x8 or x16!) can be safely ignored ;):p

Thanks for all the advice i just went ahead and ordered and after I done i realised that the case wont be shipped until December, I looked around on the website and couldn't find anywhere to cancel or change the order.

Is it possible on the website or do I have to email them?

can you recommend a different case instead?

Thanks.

How in the name of f***ing God did I miss that?! banghead.gif

How in the name of f***ing God did I miss that?! banghead.gif

ha dont worry about, any ATX Midi case will fit right? ill just pick one.

Will I have to email them to change the order?

You can try. Of course, if they don't receive the money they might get the hint, but emailing them is a slow and painful process :o

I'm surprised you didn't get an option to change it at some point when ordering it though. Pretty sure other people here were allowed to change orders when one or more of their choices turned out to be on the slow boat from China (literally! :o)

You can try. Of course, if they don't receive the money they might get the hint, but emailing them is a slow and painful process :o

I'm surprised you didn't get an option to change it at some point when ordering it though. Pretty sure other people here were allowed to change orders when one or more of their choices turned out to be on the slow boat from China (literally! :o)

Thanks for all your help Solitaire, you've been great, if I ever meet you i'm totally buying you a sandwich :P

I emailed them and got a response with a ticket number.

ill let you know how it turns out.

Update: Emailed them they changed cases no problem and it shipped at 18:02 today ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Hey. Been about a year now since my old pc died (been using laptop since) and think I'll start planning to build a new pc to get back into gaming again. Been so long now since I kept up with the latest components so I'll need some help.

I haven't got a specific budget in mind yet since I'm still unsure what everything will cost to fit my needs, but I'm hoping to keep costs at a minimum while having something that could play recent games at a decent settings. I'm planning to reuse my old case (Antec 900), dvd drive, hard drives, mouse, keyboard and for now I think I'll stick with my very old crt monitor for a little bit longer. By my reckoning that leaves me needing a motherboard, processor, ram, graphics card and psu. If I left anything out do correct me please!

Just having a quick look this bundle seems to suit my needs at a decent price and I think I'll use it as a cost benchmark for now http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-amd-ultimate-bundle--includes-m4a77t-motherboard--phenom-ii-x4-955---4gb-ddr3--2x2gb--memory--70ZM.html I'm just using that to give me an idea on things so if a cheaper processor offers little real drop in performance I'd likely prefer it, but if a slightly more expensive one offers a decent gain in performance I'll certainly consider it. That leaves me needing a graphics card and psu, neither of which I'm sure what I'd need yet. Any advice anyone could give would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

deconduo wrote: »
    hwvs1.jpg

Build for a friend, pretty nice what you can get for €450 (+€30 shipping). The price of RAM has really come down in the past few weeks.

Could you spec. this build with a HD 6850 as an alternative GPU for games like Modern Warfare 2 & Black Ops?
    Would also like to run CAD, Revit, Photoshop and little bit of 3dsMax. Am I dreaming at this price point?

What price point for what? (core build? monitor? peripherals? OS?) And what's the spec of anything you're salvaging? (monitor resolution? HDD capacity? OS?)

Even for a mid-range "gaming workstation" you'll need €600-700 for the core alone (darn impressive though - i5-760, 4GB DDR3-1333, 1TB 7200rpm, HD6850...) but the above build is fine for most games at 1080p and light apps. If anything I'd boost CPU if you're serious about using it as a light workstation and stick with the HD5770, although you could get a GTX460 for just €20 more...

Hi there
    At the moment I'm using a Hp pavillion dv9341eu laptop hooked up to a
    BenQ G2220HD 21.5 Inch Wide LCD Monitor 16:9 1920 x 1080, Creative T20 Speakers and wireless logitech keyboard and mouse.

I might try to sell the laptop for some extra cash, maybe €300-400?

As for the OS I am leaning towards a copy of XP.

I like the look of your i5 mid-range "gaming workstation" build.

Something like list below, or am I forgetting anything essential like modem, network card, etc?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Dubba wrote: »
    As for the OS I am leaning towards a copy of XP.

Have you actually got the OS? You should try and get your hands on a copy of 7, if possible. Don't go and buy a copy of XP over 7 anyway. You'll only be drawing trouble on yourself sorting out drivers etc. and you might as well enjoy the benefits of DirectX10/11 for games.

Network card is built into every modern motherboard.

Cheers for the info. I hadn't properly looked into what OS to get. I'll most probably get Win 7 so for reasons you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

network card is built in, but a wireless card usually isnt. just bear in mind. also, as much as i love XP, w7 is the only way forward.

Stuff arrived today, wow cant believe how fast shipping was. I has just turned on laptop to check where the tracking number was when the post man knocked on the door.

OS is installed now and im recovering the data of the RAID from the old computer.

THANKS THANKS THANK Solitaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I'm just about to pull the trigger now, based most of it on a recent setup here. any last opinions before i commit? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=133666&stc=1&d=1288882563

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

alb wrote: »
    I'm just about to pull the trigger now, based most of it on a recent setup here. any last opinions before i commit? :)

what resolution is your screen?
    a 512mb 5750 is really pushing it, you really should try to find the cash for a HD 5770 1 GB, at 24 euro more, it'll see you all the way upto 1080p.

would you not concider going down the AMD route to cut costs on that side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

alb wrote: »

Well well, an i5-7*0 rig that can be had for less than 500 ex. shipping (mouse, wifi card and case preference aside). That, my friend, is the steal of the year. Shoot that bad-boy.

Well well, an i5-7*0 rig that can be had for less than 500 ex. shipping (mouse, wifi card and case preference aside)

Not to mention the lack of stoirage... :p

alb, is the lack of any HDD intentional? (i.e. you have a good one already) And what is the maximum resolution of your current (or near-future if upgrading soon!) monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Not to mention the lack of stoirage... :p

alb, is the lack of any HDD intentional? (i.e. you have a good one already) And what is the maximum resolution of your current (or near-future if upgrading soon!) monitor?

Yeah I already have about 3TB's worth of internal drives. I have a 20" monitor that does 1680x1050. I might add a second at some point. I actually went for the 1gig version of that graphics card in the end, it was only a tenner more. Gaming isn't my main concern anyway.

• Advertisement

Then the rig is fine for you, although for heavy CPU usage and/or moderate OCing even an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 would have drastically cut heat and noise compared to the abysmal stock HSF :o

Advertisement