Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Solitaire wrote: »
    Then the rig is fine for you, although for heavy CPU usage and/or moderate OCing even an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 would have drastically cut heat and noise compared to the abysmal stock HSF :o

No plans to OC, I've never done it before, although I guess I wouldn't mind dabbling with it :) Would it be easy enough to swap out the HSF for a better one at a later date or is it something I'd better off doing up front?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Usually better up front but if you have a case with a well-placed mobo tray mounting void (for cooler backplates, if one is used) you can do it anytime you need it. The only reason I mention it is because the i5 isn't a hugely hungry chip at stock but Intel's current stock fan is a joke. And not a good one :o Most who have it will usually be replacing it with a much better cooler sometime soon anyway, just to reduce the noise and heat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Not to mention the lack of stoirage... :p
    Doh!!!

Edit:
    But at least I can spell storage.

So can I, shame about my keyboard! finger.gif

• Advertisement

€600 actually, and for a hopelessly asymmetrical dual-core+2GB RAM build too!! :o:p

If graphics > 40% of build cost, You're Doing It Wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

€600 actually, and for a hopelessly asymmetrical dual-core+2GB RAM build too!! :o:p

If graphics > 40% of build cost, You're Doing It Wrong :p

It'll do the job :o

They aul maths aint what they used to be :D

I'll do a proper budget gamer build later, its been a while since Ive done one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Going to get the below this week (once all back in stock). just want to check it looks ok and should do the job. Have a hard drive, dvd drive, OS and monitor. Santa is going to bring the GPU so will manage with whats built in for the moment.

Going with Komplett as its only over the road for collection and with the Eur30 delivery charge from HWVS there really wasnt any difference with the price. Can pay on collection with Komplett which I like too.

Anyway would apprecaite any advise people can give.

http://tinyurl.com/3895ny4

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced - Mid tower - ATX
    Crucial Ballistix - 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600
    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket-AM3
    Corsair VX450W - Power supply ( internal ) -
    Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon II X3 445 / 3.1 GHz -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Then the rig is fine for you, although for heavy CPU usage and/or moderate OCing even an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 would have drastically cut heat and noise compared to the abysmal stock HSF :o

I had to put through my order again, and I added in the Arctic Freezer you mentioned so all good in the hood :) Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hopefully pressing the button very soon on this build (see below) from HWVS, anyone got any comments? I already have a fresh copy of Windows 7 (64-bit), keyboard and mouse. Mainly for medium-performance gaming, browsing, etc.

I intend to use a PSU recycled from an old gaming PC, an Antec True550 Low Noise 550w Power Supply - will this do the job or should I buy a new PSU as well? Might need a few adapters. Really trying to stay below €500.

PS I have an old NEC CD/DVD-RW IDE drive too, OK or should I throw in an SATA drive?

pcbuild.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd be wary if that's an older Antec PSU, some of them were known to explode due to dodgy capacitors :eek: Otherwise it would be fine, although a cheap GTX460 would be nice if you could stretch that far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cinnamono

Hi folks, trying to get around to sorting out a new, decent priced gaming PC. I already have a good monitor, case, DVD drive from before (A few of the other components probably work too, but I can't be arsed testing them all!) So, how does this look?

Argon Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked Bundle £259.99
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with HAWX2 PC-Game £146.86
    Corsair CX 500W ATX Power Supply (CMPSU-500CXUK) £49.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD502HJ) £33.98

Shipping : £10.50
    Total : £503.16

I'm a bit out of the loop, basically, does everything fit? Can I go for a less powerful PSU? Is 4GB Ram good enough?

Bad, okay, mediocre, overpriced. Not the best and badly overpriced once you convert to Euros and Irish VAT :o

€580 shipped - €20 cheaper than OCUK without shipping!

HWVS111110.png

Much better CPU, full ATX mobo, identical cooler and 1600MHz DDR3 kit, similar GPU (pre-OCd but, alas, without a game), similar HDD and significantly better PSU (similar stats and quality to Corsair VX550 - a PSU from before Corsair started cheaping out). Sure the CPU doesn't come OCd, but with four physical cores it utterly canes an i3 and you're welcome to OC it and the GPU, you have more than enough power capacity ;) Swap the mobo for the GA-H55M-UD2 or similar if you need a mATX mobo. I could have specced the stronger and less thirsty HD6850 alongside an Amazon 450W, but neither are in stock at this minute :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade their PC but it's fairly old and needs to be gutted. It will be a general family PC but he wants to be able to play games on it, he's been out of the loop for a while with pc games so as long as it's got decent quality graphics it will be ok.

Had a quick look and these parts seem pretty decent for the price.

PSU is mad overkill and an inferior brand to boot. Graphics might not be able to handle games well above 1080p. HDD is ludicrously overpriced for a 1TB drive.

Also, RAM is overpriced and what about case and DVD drive??

PSU is mad overkill and an inferior brand to boot. Graphics might not be able to handle games well above 1080p. HDD is ludicrously overpriced for a 1TB drive.

Also, RAM is overpriced and what about case and DVD drive??
    They already have a case and dvd drive..

I didn't see any ram at a better price on hardwareversand I going off the specs on the motherboards site saying it needs either 1333 or 1066 DDR 3 I have no idea what the difference is.

What W PSU could I get away with?

One question first: what resolution is the monitor/TV we're talking about here?

One question first: what resolution is the monitor/TV we're talking about here?
    It's an old 17" LCD, probably 1280 x 1024.

Ugh. HD5670 wouldn't be too hot - a 5:4 monitor is >1.3 megapixels - most certainly not the same gig as running 3D on a 720p monitor, which is only 0.9 megapixels. Hell, a 19" 5:4 is about the same surface area as a 22" 16:9 1080p! (I have them in front of me right now).

Let me throw a build together...

...Under €420 shipped:

HWVS141110.png

CPU should be good for multitasking and gaming, got a mobo that hopefully has decent integrated features, decent Realtek 7.1 audio with a TOSLink output and USB3, 4GB of basic 1333MHz DDR3, decent graphics, a fast and reliable HDD, and a good PSU to boot.

If you think there's a monitor upgrade in the works get a 1GB version or a 1GB HD5770.

If you don't want to wait for the Amazon there's always the Cougar A400, which looks to be a solid CX400 replacement now that Corsair's going all cheaparse. 33A of 12V power on the Amazon 450W, versus 32A on the A400, 30A on the sadly discontinued CX400, and just 28A on the new and inferior CX430.

• Advertisement

Cheers I'll run that by them, is that a good motherboard? They'll want the scope to upgrade in the future. I hadn't heard of ASRock.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Need help building a rock bottom basement games machine. Don't need a GFX card as he has an 8600GT from the old machine and the DVD-RW. Basically needs everything else inc. Case/RAM/MBoard/CPU/HDD/Power. Bad news is the budget is €300. I know the GFX is bad but he will upgrade that next year, just wants something to get him by for now.

Tried building on that dutch site but am so behind on the latest gear I just gave up. Are the AMD's any good for gaming now, since Core 2 Duo I haven't heard anything on AMD. Would prefer a better CPU instead of more RAM, 2GB RAM will do him for now so long as the board can take upgrades etc. A bog standard SATA 250GB-320GB will do too. Probs a 500w power supply is adequate as he won't be upgrading to a top of the range card tbh. Finally a cheap case will do.

Cheers in advance.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cheers I'll run that by them, is that a good motherboard? They'll want the scope to upgrade in the future. I hadn't heard of ASRock.

They've been around for years, heard they're somehow affilated with Asus. They used to be the budget brand but after Asus' recent run of failsauce I'd say they're safely mainstream :D:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Need help building a rock bottom basement games machine. Don't need a GFX card as he has an 8600GT from the old machine and the DVD-RW. Basically needs everything else inc. Case/RAM/MBoard/CPU/HDD/Power. Bad news is the budget is €300. I know the GFX is bad but he will upgrade that next year, just wants something to get him by for now.

Tried building on that dutch site but am so behind on the latest gear I just gave up. Are the AMD's any good for gaming now, since Core 2 Duo I haven't heard anything on AMD. Would prefer a better CPU instead of more RAM, 2GB RAM will do him for now so long as the board can take upgrades etc. A bog standard SATA 250GB-320GB will do too. Probs a 500w power supply is adequate as he won't be upgrading to a top of the range card tbh. Finally a cheap case will do.

Cheers in advance.

Some of the stuff is out of stock until the 19th, but for 287 + 30 shipping you can get:

320GB Spinpoint F4
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37082&agid=689

Asus M4A77T
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=34893&agid=1232

Antec 200
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30915&agid=631

Athlon II X3 445
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37139&agid=1242

4GB G-skill DDR3
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29674&agid=1192

Super Flower Amazon 450W
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30074&agid=240

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cinnamono

...Under €420 shipped:

HWVS141110.png

CPU should be good for multitasking and gaming, got a mobo that hopefully has decent integrated features, decent Realtek 7.1 audio with a TOSLink output and USB3, 4GB of basic 1333MHz DDR3, decent graphics, a fast and reliable HDD, and a good PSU to boot.

If you think there's a monitor upgrade in the works get a 1GB version or a 1GB HD5770.

If you don't want to wait for the Amazon there's always the Cougar A400, which looks to be a solid CX400 replacement now that Corsair's going all cheaparse. 33A of 12V power on the Amazon 450W, versus 32A on the A400, 30A on the sadly discontinued CX400, and just 28A on the new and inferior CX430.

That looks good, might go for something along those lines. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Cheers in advance.

Even if you spend the 300 on new parts - twill just be capped at the speed of the 8600GT - which is really quite bad. He will splash out all that money and not feel any real difference.

300 Euros is actually enough to include a graphics card..

Amd Tri-core - 65 euros
    Ram - 2 gig for now, 30 euros
    Motherboard - 55 euros
    Graphics - ATI 5750 - 100 euros
    Case - 40 euros

And stretch a tiny bit to cover shipping

Of course, if he has a decent core2duo chip, then he should just get the 5750 and it should game fine (4 or 5 times faster than the 8600GT and the 500 watt PSU should be enough to run it if no overclocking)

Thanks for the advice guys, I did a bit more reading up and have come up with the following config, what do ye think? I have managed to blag a new case & DVD burner off a mate so no need for them any more. A shade under €300 inc delivery is not bad I think.

a66c7a0dda.jpg

Shipping is €30 to Ireland.

poo, 5670 it is so......

• Advertisement

poo, 5670 it is so......
    You said he will upgrade gfx next year. Why don't you post his system specs that he has now and we could see if upgrading gfx alone would be a better option. Failing that, it may be better to upgrade the lot all at once next year.

Advertisement