Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

His specs unfortunately don't exist anymore, motherboard/cpu failure so I decided to give him a hand with a complete new build. The GFX was the best thing left as the HD was only 40GB and the Power Supply was 350w, RAM was old pc2400 1GB too so a new rig makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How does the 5670 compare?

ah forget that, I just read up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AndrewR

Solitaire wrote: »
    ...Under €420 shipped:

HWVS141110.png

CPU should be good for multitasking and gaming, got a mobo that hopefully has decent integrated features, decent Realtek 7.1 audio with a TOSLink output and USB3, 4GB of basic 1333MHz DDR3, decent graphics, a fast and reliable HDD, and a good PSU to boot.

If you think there's a monitor upgrade in the works get a 1GB version or a 1GB HD5770.

If you don't want to wait for the Amazon there's always the Cougar A400, which looks to be a solid CX400 replacement now that Corsair's going all cheaparse. 33A of 12V power on the Amazon 450W, versus 32A on the A400, 30A on the sadly discontinued CX400, and just 28A on the new and inferior CX430.
    Thanks Solitaire,
    I'll use this as the basis for a new build - I'm currently using a Dell Dimension tower - could I use the Dell case with the components above? and if not please recommend a case. I assume the mouse and keyboard would be usable (OK PS2 not USB but I can live with that) but what about DVD-RW drive, wireless card etc? have no prob buying more components but would like to reuse where possible.
    PC also currently doubles as a TV (via a card unfortunately not digital so destined for the bin), anyone have views on either putting a TV-Card into the PC and processing a signal that way (I live in an area where I can receive Freeview through my roof aerial) or buying a TV with HDMI and a built-in Freeview tuner?
    TIA :),
    A

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Most modern motherboards only have one PS2 port that can be used for either a mouse or keyboard, but not both :o Keep the one you prefer, bin the other and get a USB version. Note that HWVS, being German, only sell QWERTZ and Dvorak keyboards, so while you can get a USB mouse there you'll have to look elsewhere for a USB keyboard.

As for case, its really a matter of aesthetics and/or budget. If you're short of the latter you can get basic Xigmatek Asgards there for ~€30, and Thermaltake V3/4 and NZXT Gamma for €35-40. Add fans to taste! All of the above have one 120mm stock fan and can take 1 (Asgard) or 4-6 more 120/140mm fans; I'd recommend getting at least one Xilence Redwing 120mm if they're there (those used to be premium low-noise fans; now HWVS sell them for an absurd €2.30 a pop! :D) You could recycle a very old Dimension case but they're huge, heavy, badly cooled and a pain to work with. Newer Dimensions use the semi-proprietary BTX form factor and are infamous for being good for one thing once the stock PSU or mobo fails - the bin! :o

What interface is your WiFi card? USB? PCI? PCIex1? The new mobo can take all of the above and they're not exactly a fortune either (HWVS has 802.11n models for €10-20). As for DVD, SATA units are preferable and I'm betting you have an old IDE model instead. It can be recycled, but a new SATA burner is just €15-20 anyway.

What's you current monitor like anyway? You might need a slightly better graphics card if it has a very high maximum resolution (e.g. Full HD - 1920*1080) and you want to play current titles with good FPS at mid-to-high quality settings. It really depends on what quality EPG you need, but you can usually pick up cheap DVB-T tuner cards for just €20-40 so long as you don't need a top-notch EPG, built-in image/video screen capturing, twin tuners or full Ubuntu/MythTV compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AndrewR

Solitaire wrote: »
    Most modern motherboards only have one PS2 port that can be used for either a mouse or keyboard, but not both :o Keep the one you prefer, bin the other and get a USB version. Note that HWVS, being German, only sell QWERTZ and Dvorak keyboards, so while you can get a USB mouse there you'll have to look elsewhere for a USB keyboard.

As for case, its really a matter of aesthetics and/or budget. If you're short of the latter you can get basic Xigmatek Asgards there for ~€30, and Thermaltake V3/4 and NZXT Gamma for €35-40. Add fans to taste! All of the above have one 120mm stock fan and can take 1 (Asgard) or 4-6 more 120/140mm fans; I'd recommend getting at least one Xilence Redwing 120mm if they're there (those used to be premium low-noise fans; now HWVS sell them for an absurd €2.30 a pop! :D) You could recycle a very old Dimension case but they're huge, heavy, badly cooled and a pain to work with. Newer Dimensions use the semi-proprietary BTX form factor and are infamous for being good for one thing once the stock PSU or mobo fails - the bin! :o

What interface is your WiFi card? USB? PCI? PCIex1? The new mobo can take all of the above and they're not exactly a fortune either (HWVS has 802.11n models for €10-20). As for DVD, SATA units are preferable and I'm betting you have an old IDE model instead. It can be recycled, but a new SATA burner is just €15-20 anyway.

What's you current monitor like anyway? You might need a slightly better graphics card if it has a very high maximum resolution (e.g. Full HD - 1920*1080) and you want to play current titles with good FPS at mid-to-high quality settings. It really depends on what quality EPG you need, but you can usually pick up cheap DVB-T tuner cards for just €20-40 so long as you don't need a top-notch EPG, built-in image/video screen capturing, twin tuners or full Ubuntu/MythTV compatibility.
    Thanks Solitaire. Budget not a problesm, am planning on doing the build with my older kids and wanted to see if I could recycle bits and pieces from the old machine to reduce the carbon footprint. All of the existing parts are IDE so I'll pass on using any of them.
    Regarding the case what would you recommend for a mid-range case, something shiny/flashy but not too expensive:P
    Was planning on upgrading the GPU and will go for the 1Gb version, similarly will get a SATA DVD drive and a new wireless card.
    Monitor is a 17" VGA so I'll change this but havn't yet decided if I'll go for a "straight" 22-24" monitor or get a new telly with HDMI input and Freeview (might be overkill but I have an alterior motive)
    Thanks for all your advice, I'll work on the build list tonight and post the selection for approval later, cheers!

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eF. Godlike

Thanks Solitaire. Budget not a problesm, am planning on doing the build with my older kids and wanted to see if I could recycle bits and pieces from the old machine to reduce the carbon footprint. All of the existing parts are IDE so I'll pass on using any of them.
    Regarding the case what would you recommend for a mid-range case, something shiny/flashy but not too expensivetongue.gif
    Was planning on upgrading the GPU and will go for the 1Gb version, similarly will get a SATA DVD drive and a new wireless card.
    Monitor is a 17" VGA so I'll change this but havn't yet decided if I'll go for a "straight" 22-24" monitor or get a new telly with HDMI input and Freeview (might be overkill but I have an alterior motive)
    Thanks for all your advice, I'll work on the build list tonight and post the selection for approval later, cheers!

A

+1 for the asgard. It's got seriously good reviews and looks like a steal at that price. Was looking at it for a build I'd be doing for someone too :) There's alo a full HD 22" monitor for 129 on Komplett.ie which would include shipping http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/20049470/BenQ_G2222HDL_LCD_display_TFT_LED_backlight/9H_L3RLN_IBE/default.aspx
    There's a 24" for 175 as well. I can't give much advice on the cases komplett stock but maybe someone else could.
    Also I haven't compared prices on your items but scan.co.uk are usually very cheap. I ordered an i3 540, Gigabyte ga-h55m-d2h, 4GB of 1600MHz RAM, an 1156 backplate and some watercooling tubing for 275 shipped two days ago and F3s are about 40 pounds if I recall correctly. That said, for large orders hwvs are pretty good, shipping is ridiculous though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Just want to say thanks, especially to Solitaire for the help and advice here, such a useful resource. I got my delivery from HWVS, as per http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68848754&postcount=656, but had to change icore 5 760 to a 750 and got the 550W amazon PSU instead of the 450W. I put it together on monday and it's been running fine since.

The only concern I've had is that the space between the side of the case and where harddrive connections are is very tight. With the thick power cables from the PSU I really had to force the side of the case against them to get it to close.

Also I completely forgot I had a second monitor, a 19" LCD lying around, so have a dual monitor setup already now. Looks a bit odd with one widescreen and one 4:3 but 2 is better than 1 :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I didn't want to start a new thread what with there being so many lately looking for specs etc., so thought I'd post a quick pic of a build I'm considering, subject to funding of course ;).

The main purpose will be gaming, and all the other non performance parts I can get from my old PC, including my old 17" monitor, max res 1280 x 1024. Now I know the GPU would be fine at that res, but I don't want to miss out on any other bells and whistles of games such as black ops etc., plus if I do upgrade the monitor in the future, it would pay off then.

My only other questions are, would I need more case fans, and is any run of the mill thermal compound good enough for the CPU, or is something a little bit special needed?

73889519.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Stay away from OCZ ram, its ****e. This is the same spec, cheaper and better quality:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29671&agid=1192
    Or this:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38478&agid=1205

Personally I'd get an F3 instead of the WD as well:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28151&agid=689

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭thc4me

Hey I know I asked for some help a couple of months back, but at the time I got some unexpected bills and I was unable to purchase. Here I am, credit card in hand ready to buy before the money disappears again :)
    I've been looking through the forum and I have about 1000 tabs open in front of me and I'm none the wiser. I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction of doing up a spec from hardwareversand.
    Budget of €600, €700 max.
    I'll be using it for photoshop mainly, editing raw files, so I suppose CPU/RAM are a priority but would love to play some of the latest games aswell.
    I'm just totally out of the loop at the moment as to what equals performance vs value.
    I need everything except mouse/keyboard/monitor. The whole world of motherboards/cpu coolers/cases just baffles me.
    How about that Spec posted by delly above, and swap out the ram and HD for the ones deconduo mentioned, i'd get the 1TB instead of the 500GB?
    If anyone has the time to help i'd be so grateful.

• Advertisement

€635 delivered:

Phenom II X6
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=34042&agid=1242
    4GB A-Data RAM
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28632&agid=1192
    Generic DVD-RW
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29466&agid=699
    SF Amazon 550W (Out of stock until the 3rd Dec)
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=240
    Spinpoint F3 1TB
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152&agid=689
    MSI Radeon HD 6850
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39442&agid=1004
    MSI 870 mobo
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38554&agid=1232
    CoolerMaster 690 case
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38379&agid=631

Theres a couple of things you could move around as well if you want. If you need windows as well and you are a student you can get win7 pro for €45. (Its an upgrade version, but there are ways around that >.>)

deconduo...i really owe you one thanks a million man!
    cheers for the windows tip also
    right, before i click to buy, do i need any extra fans, thermal compound or whatever, i assume the cpu comes with a stock cooler, worth upgrading it?
    with my spare 60/70 euros would i be better off getting a second hard drive for raid or more ram or something else, or will she suffice as is
    i just want to make sure i have everything to put this baby together and have her running smoothly :)

I'll start thinking about a good quality screen for photo editing before christmas but thats a whole different topic! *searches*

I'd probably wait until the PSU comes into stock, HWVS orders can end up taking weeks if everything isn't in stock when you order it. Would probably be worth grabbing a cooler + another case fan or two if you plan on overclocking. (That processor overclocks pretty sweetly iirc.)

lovely stuff, really appreciate your advice.
    I'll try and do some research on what cooler is worth getting and i'll definitely pick up another couple of fans too. Can't expect to be totally spoonfed :D I suppose I'll just pick a different power supply as i've been waiting fecking ages to be able to afford to order this as is!
    Ahh i can't wait :)

For coolers, I can't really help you. I've always stuck with the CM Hyper 212+, but HWVS don't do that anymore :(

I know solitaire has a case fan that he recommends to everyone, and its about €5 so you could probably pick up a couple of them. That case can hold a bajillion fans.

Front : 1 x 12 cm - ( 1 installed) ¦ Rear : 1 x 12 cm - ( 1 installed) ¦ Top : 2 x 14 cm - ( 0 installed) ¦ Bottom : 2 x 12 cm - ( 0 installed) ¦ Side : 2 x 14 cm - ( 0 installed) ¦ Side : 1 x 8 cm - ( 0 installed) ¦ Internal : 1 x 12 cm - ( 0 installed) ¦ Internal : 1 x 8 cm - ( 0 installed)

Edit: It might also be worth it to upgrade the CPU to the 3GhZ BE model:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37143&agid=1242

Its €16 more for an unlocked multiplier and a better binned proc.

Not a huge fan of the CM690 myself, its nice-looking but not so well featured for its price. The NZXT Hades is only a little pricier and all but one of its fans are included. On the other hand the NZXT Gamma, while offering most of the features of the CM690 at half the price, appears to have gone the same way as the Hyper 212+, but there's always the Thermaltake V4...

As for CPU cooler, HWVS isn't much good at all at the moment :( I used to spec the Hyper 212+ for i5 quads and 130W+ CPUs and the cheaper Pipetower Pro for sub-130W AMD CPUs, but both are AWOL :o There's still this for AM3 and the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 for LGA1156 but as 92mm-based mini-towers they're only good for light OCing on 95W CPUs and stock only on the 130W AMDs (I wouldn't put one on an LGA1366 CPU!) :o There is the new Gaia full-tower cooler (actually a rebranded version of the old S1283 with LGA1156 compatibility) for a bit more money but I doubt its as good as the similarly-priced Hyper 212+ :o

And I actually recommend Arctic F12 Pro fans for ~€5.50 on QuietPC (and ~€20 on Pix! :P) but these aren't available on HWVS. There are, however, 120mm Xilence Redwings available for a staggerring €2-€2.50 there. Those are a lot more expensive elsewhere, they used to cost €20 a pop in places! :eek::D

The Hades, and Antec 300 are out of stock unfortunately :( they would have been my first choices. I would consider the V4 as well, but CM690 has a lot more space and isn't that much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

hey guys! i'm going to be doing my first build in the next 2 to 3 weeks because my current heep of junk is geting on my nerves! i'm looking for some advice seen as it's my first build

i'm going to use my old 19" compaq fs940 :D for a month or 2 until i can afford a better one. i'm also going to be usin my old mouse and keyboard etc my budget is around 500 euro, can't go that much above it because i need to get myself windows 7 and stuff

annway i'll be using the pc for gaming #1 (eve, wow, cod and some other random games) and for my college computer science needs! i'v looked through a lot of posts so far around here and tried to put a build together, i'd love some feedback! maybe i can save money somewhere or maybe somethings wrong? how many case fans are needed? because i see only 1 comes with that one. maybe theres a better graphics card out there that i can pick instead that's not too much more expensive? i went the AMD route to try and save some money btw

last thing! i would love to overclock so do any parts need changing in this build? maybe a different case with better airflow and more case fans? or is everything looking ok for overclocking :D

mybuild.JPG

edit: maybe this case would be better?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=631&adp=0&aid=28746&lid=2

i guess everything looks fine guys? :D

Looks okay for the most part...

RAM could be a fair bit cheaper... 4GB of 1333MHz CL9 is heading toward €45. And if you're thinking of upgrading to a 1080p monitor down the line you might prefer a GTX460. On the other hand if you stick to the HD5770 you could get away with a weaker PSU; perhaps an Amazon 450W or a Cougar A400. Also, if you go the GTX460 route you might want a slightly better-cooled case such as a Thermaltake V4 (NZXT Gamma isn't there any more :() and grab some extra 120mm fans for it; the 120mm Xilence Redwings are pretty decent, and a steal at ~€2 a pop :D

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply!

i guess i'll stick with the HD5770 for the minute and upgrade the graphics and monitor when i get some more cash. the Thermaltake V4 looks like a good idea too! the money i save on the ram covers that :D how many of them redwing fans do you think i would need?

edit: any idea how much GTX460 are going for atm?

Up to you but its less important with just an X4-640 and a HD5770 in there unless you OC the X4 like mad (and you'd really need a better CPU cooler anyway then!). At least one to cover the rear exhaust (I think the V4 comes with a 120mm intake preinstalled) and optionally one or two for the top exhausts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AengusMB

darego wrote: »
    edit: any idea how much GTX460 are going for atm?

This is the cheapest 1G model i've found: €152.82
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36451&agid=707

If you were looking for a better/more reliable brand with better OC possibilities, i went with the MSi Cyclone: €167.90
    http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90401153/msi-n460gtx-cyclone-1gd5/oc.asp?sr=GTX460

A bit more expensive though, but worth it IMO.

Even a 768MB version is plenty for 1080p ;)

thanks guys. i'll get 3 of them 2 euro fans since theyre so cheap so why not :D what good cpu cooler would yous suggest?

For light OCing you can throw on this; for more... ambitious... attempts or just lower temps and less noise try adding this instead. If you're not too worried about OCing or noise you don't really need one that badly :)

RAM and mobo are out of stock :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Beg for help here but im going to start my first build soon and was wondering what i could get for 500 to 550 ish delivered .
    No monitor keyboard or os needed. id like your guys opinion on whats the best i could do .also im gonna guess and itl be the other side of xmas before it comes yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Beg for help here but im going to start my first build soon and was wondering what i could get for 500 to 550 ish delivered .
    No monitor keyboard or os needed. id like your guys opinion on whats the best i could do .also im gonna guess and itl be the other side of xmas before it comes yeah?
    What games do you play. Also, what do you have - monitor, OS, keyboard?

Advertisement