Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Renn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to get any cables if you've asked hardwaeversand to assemble the whole thing? I've ordered a whole new set up (monitor included) and was wondering if it'll be good to go once it arrives at home. Thanks.

Is this a service they do regularly or have you just asked them specially

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

DermotOH wrote: »
    Is this a service they do regularly or have you just asked them specially

It's a service they do. You select the assembly option with their System Builder and they charge 20 Euro to assemble it for oyu. It will arrive fully operational. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Just browsing through the builds!

Keep up the good work guys.

Great stuff :)

Planning First Build
    > €600

Already Have a 32" Which I Plan to Use as a Monitor
    Nothing too Complex, Any Suggestions?

Edit: Uses: Gaming

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Using it for anything else? Do you need operating system or peripherals? And very importantly, what resolution is the 32"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Hey, I've been browsing through this thread and using this guide to get advice on what to get as
    my first gaming build. I've a fairly tight budget so I'm looking to cut this build by anything for 40-70 euro if possible.

146538.jpg

Because I've never had to build a comp before and there would be a good chance I could mess something up
    and damage a part which I couldn't afford to replace, I think paying 20e for them to build it for me is fair enough.

Any advice would be appreciated. Any big problems with this? Aside from an OS would it be able to get up
    and connected to the internet out of the box? I'm not too confident about the PSU. Is it reliable enough to work and not blow up on me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Get a proper PSU. Superflower's amazon series are cheap.
    The X4 640 is €10 cheaper. I don't think the marginal benefits of the 645 is worth the difference.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Using it for anything else? Do you need operating system or peripherals? And very importantly, what resolution is the 32"?

Its a TV and its 720p, Yes for the OS, Yes for the Peripherals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Its a TV and its 720p, Yes for the OS, Yes for the Peripherals

A little bit over budget as I have cheated and ommitted the KB and mouse but this is exactly 600 shipped. I was going to put in a HD5750 instead but the prices are nearly the same as the HD5770 I have selected so why not. :)

If you need to drive the price down a bit you could look an an Athlon X4 quad, a cheaper AM3 motherboard in the €60-70 range or a HD 5670 which would be quite acceptable for 720p gaming, but the HD5770 if you can stretch the budget to it would give you the option to game at higher resolutions with decent results if you ever upgraded the TV/monitor. Doing all of the above will drop the price by about €70-80 (CPU €30 less, MB €20+ less, GPU €30 less or thereabouts).

146573.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hey, I've been browsing through this thread and using this guide to get advice on what to get as
    my first gaming build. I've a fairly tight budget so I'm looking to cut this build by anything for 40-70 euro if possible.

Because I've never had to build a comp before and there would be a good chance I could mess something up
    and damage a part which I couldn't afford to replace, I think paying 20e for them to build it for me is fair enough.

Any advice would be appreciated. Any big problems with this? Aside from an OS would it be able to get up
    and connected to the internet out of the box? I'm not too confident about the PSU. Is it reliable enough to work and not blow up on me?

To be blunt the PSU in that JCP is rubbish, if anything you are looking at adding €40 to the budget for a decent PSU and case unfortunately :(.

As that is a full HD monitor then you really need the 5770 which is the most expensive part. There is really not not much more room for cutting to be honest although you could drop to an Athlon X3 core and still maintain acceptable gaming results which would reduce the price by about 20 quid or so.

The only avenue that is left really is downsizing the monitor and graphics card in tandem.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    A little bit over budget as I have cheated and ommitted the KB and mouse but this is exactly 600 shipped. I was going to put in a HD5750 instead but the prices are nearly the same as the HD5770 I have selected so why not. :)

If you need to drive the price down a bit you could look an an Athlon X4 quad, a cheaper AM3 motherboard in the €60-70 range or a HD 5670 which would be quite acceptable for 720p gaming, but the HD5770 if you can stretch the budget to it would give you the option to game at higher resolutions with decent results if you ever upgraded the TV/monitor. Doing all of the above will drop the price by about €70-80 (CPU €30 less, MB €20+ less, GPU €30 less or thereabouts).

146573.JPG

Thanks for all the Input
    How reputable is this German site?

I see lots of your builds are from there so I assume you trust them,
    Is there any problem with a language barrier?

146605.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, I've asked around and edited it to be more in my price range. If this could play modern games on medium (to low in some cases) then I'd be pretty happy.

Hows this look?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You can still get a 5770 for slightly cheaper:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30583&agid=1004

You really should stay with 4GB of ram:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29674&agid=1192

I'd drop the keyboard unless you want a german layout :P Get one from adverts.ie or from argos.

The only other things I would change would be the motherboard and case, but this is less important. This motherboard is slightly more expensive, but much better:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42048&agid=1232
    Same for this case:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=32896&agid=631

Finally, building it yourself would save €20 and would be a lot of fun. Or, if you are in Dublin City Center I'll be glad to do it for you :)

deconduo wrote: »
    The only other things I would change would be the motherboard and case, but this is less important. This motherboard is slightly more expensive, but much better:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42048&agid=1232
    Same for this case:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=32896&agid=631

Finally, building it yourself would save €20 and would be a lot of fun. Or, if you are in Dublin City Center I'll be glad to do it for you :)

Just out of curiosity what makes the case and mobo better? I'm new to this and nothing struck me outright as being better. And thanks for the offer but I'm living in limerick city

How do these compare to the ones built yourself http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/?lang=en

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

@SmokeyTheBull

Mobo: Better audio quality (Realtek vs VIA), more room for expansion (ATX vs mATX), better chipset in general.

Case: Cable management and tooless drives. 120mm fan with the option of 3 more compared to a single 80mm with no space for others.

How do these compare to the ones built yourself http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/?lang=en

The components in an ankerman PCwon't be as good (Especially likely to put in chepo PSU, motherboard, case and harddrives for example), and it will probably be more expensive. Also ankermann are a bit hit and miss, if you do a search on this forum they have quite the reputation for sloppy build quality as well.

There is an option on HardwareVersand.de for them to build it for you for 20 quid if you really don't want to do it yourself (If you use the PC configurator tool on the site), at least that way you know that the build will be of good quailty and done with decent components. Way better than the ankermann route.

Ok I have come into a bit a financial difficulty so I need a €500 Build Instead
    • Gaming
    • Watching Movies and TV Shows
    • 1TB Hard Drive if Possible

I Have the Monitor (720p) and I will get a Mouse and Keyboard Myself
    Thanks in Advance

Ok I have come into a bit a financial difficulty so I need a €500 Build Instead
    • Gaming
    • Watching Movies and TV Shows
    • 1TB Hard Drive if Possible

I Have the Monitor (720p) and I will get a Mouse and Keyboard Myself
    Thanks in Advance

I am right in thinking that a copy of windows need to be included in that 500 budget? If so this would be a fairly decent rig for 720p gaming, coming in at 490 including delivery. Although bear in mind it would cost an extra 20 quid to get them to build it for you. (There are a few even cheaper boards like this ASUS that will bring it down under 500 build and delivered if it is absolutely nescessary).

146896.jpg

I am right in thinking that a copy of windows need to be included in that 500 budget? If so this would be a fairly decent rig for 720p gaming, coming in at 490 including delivery. Although bear in mind it would cost an extra 20 quid to get them to build it for you. (There are a few even cheaper boards like this ASUS that will bring it down under 500 build and delivered if it is absolutely nescessary).

Thanks For your time, How reputable are hardwareversand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

They are quite popular around here. Best prices in Europe for an entire build, even when you factor in the €30 delivery.

They are quite popular around here. Best prices in Europe for an entire build, even when you factor in the €30 delivery.

I'd go as far as to say they probably take more business from full builds that are the result of threads on this forum than all the other retailer combined.

I'd go as far as to say they probably take more business from full builds that are the result of threads on this forum than all the other retailer combined.
    Easily. It still surprises me that Komplett can't compete even with the free delivery.

What will I be able to Run on this Gaming Wise?

Also should I throw in a Network Card

Also should I throw is a Network Card
    Only if you need wifi.

Also should I throw in a Network Card

It will run practically any game at 720p, but you may need to drop quality settings for some of the the most demanding titles for example Crysis, Stalker COP, Metro 2033 etc (720p is not a resolution that is reviewed often, or I have gamed at so I couldn't say with certainty how much compromise would be required)

All I could really suggest is that you google some reviews of the HD5670 and look its performance in the type of games want to play (pay particular attention to the 1280X1024 resolution which is the lowest resolution used in almost all reviews).

1280X1024 is a signifigantly higher resolution than the 720p (1280X720) that you will be using, so if a game you want to get performs well at 1280X1024 it will play even better at 720p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaya08

Hi,
    I'm looking to build a gaming computer and am completely clueless about ... well everything.

I can go up to €1100 and i've made a start still need a case and psu and ... anything else I might need :P (Have os, keyboard and mouse)

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/buildz.jpg/

Any help would be appreciated.

That's not a "budget" PC.
    The motherboard and CPU are incompatible. I wouldn't go for the an intel (1155) build just now as there's been a major recall and it will probably be a month, at least, before it's sorted.
    Intel is best for gaming as it stands at the moment so it might be best to wait. I can recommend some AMD parts otherwise- not as powerful gamingwise but cheaper and could leave room in your budget for SSD, better GPU etc.
    Other options are the dated 1156 socket (not recommended unless you get a great deal) and the 1366 socket (not recommended as they're quite poor value for money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaya08

Monotype wrote: »
    That's not a "budget" PC.
    The motherboard and CPU are incompatible. I wouldn't go for the an intel (1155) build just now as there's been a major recall and it will probably be a month, at least, before it's sorted.
    Intel is best for gaming as it stands at the moment so it might be best to wait. I can recommend some AMD parts otherwise- not as powerful gamingwise but cheaper and could leave room in your budget for SSD, better GPU etc.
    Other options are the dated 1156 socket (not recommended unless you get a great deal) and the 1366 socket (not recommended as they're quite poor value for money).

Should I make a seperate thread?
    I'm not picky about parts, AMD sounds fine

• Advertisement

attachment.php?attachmentid=147144&stc=1&d=1297179034

That would leave about €50 for the case. Is that enough? You can save €15 on the ram http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38484 and not really see much difference. I changed the heatsink as I thought you'd need a better one. You can get a good overclock out of those X6s.
    You could cut back on the PSU, depending on whether you are likely to upgrade your parts.

Advertisement